Author Topic: WTD: Salsa El Mariachi XL  (Read 4947 times)

lmarc

WTD: Salsa El Mariachi XL
« on: May 21, 2018, 11:37:57 am »
Ideally with 44mm headtube and alternator dropouts.
Frame or Complete bike - I am sure we will figure something out.

mickeg

Re: WTD: Salsa El Mariachi XL
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 04:42:17 pm »
Are you aware that you posted this on a forum hosted by a different brand of bicycle?  It is unlikely anyone here will own a Salsa bike.

jags

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 10:46:45 pm »
i came close to it Mike.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 01:05:08 am »
i came close to it Mike.
Me too, but George beat me to it.  :) Chances for a used Salsa on a Thorn-specific forum are pretty well nil.

All the best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 01:26:05 am »
I used Salsa rims on my Thorn Sherpa, but it sounds like the Gordo 26 inch rims are no longer sold.  Nice rims.  Inner width is perfect for a 40 to 50 mm tire.
http://salsacycles.com/components/archive/category/rims

Tiberius

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 06:22:25 am »
I've never owned a Thorn and ended up here by researching building an indestructible/expedition type bike. It may well be a long shot asking here but not everyone here owns just Thorns.

To the OP.....I have just had a quick Google to check that Salsa out. I love those dropouts....I can feel a Salsa drop bar/Rohloff (Marakesh ??) coming on.....What have you started ??!!!

Good luck with your search.... ;)

jags

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 01:21:16 pm »
 ;D ;D

mickeg

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 04:54:07 pm »
To the OP.....I have just had a quick Google to check that Salsa out. I love those dropouts....I can feel a Salsa drop bar/Rohloff (Marakesh ??) coming on.....What have you started ??!!!

Good luck with your search.... ;)

Be advised that dropouts with really high rack mounts add limitations to your rack selection.  Thus, with that bike model, if you wanted a different brand of rack you could have difficulty getting a good fit.  I learned that when I bought my Lynskey, the rack mounts were unusually high up on the chainstays, that means that my rear rack sits unusually high.

I have seen in print on several occasions that Salsa Marakesh was the first touring bike that came in both a "short" frame for drop bars and a "long" frame for flat bars.  But that is a crock, Thorn had long and short frames for the different bar types for many years, possibly even before Salsa existed as a bike company.