Author Topic: So-easy Rohloff cog removal  (Read 9672 times)

lestat_12345

Re: So-easy Rohloff cog removal
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 04:37:37 pm »
Thanks PH. I don't feel as 'ripped off' now as I originally did after your advice. I'm sure it's going to give me many years of service before it dies on me.

mickeg

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 01:05:40 am »
On value, I suspect that the most important thing is that water has not gotten into the hub where it could cause corrosion.  If it was not used much and was stored indoors, that likely is a plus.

On a previous thread, someone from SJS commented that the oil that is drained from a Rohloff can have an unpleasant smell if water has gotten into the hub.  So, if you did an oil change and if the oil smelled bad, that would be a trouble sign.

lestat_12345

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 07:41:12 am »
The oil didn't smell bad per say. It just had a very strong 'oily' smell if that makes sense. It is very doubtful that the unit has seen much use because of the condition of the sprocket and shifter - which are the originals. I just don't think that the oil has ever been changed since new or, if it has, it probably hasn't been done as frequently as it should. I'm building a wheel for it this Saturday and taking it out for a test ride on Sunday. It'll stay on my Nomad for a couple of months, which is used daily, until I get time to build up the Sherpa. Hopefully during that time, if there are any problems, they'll manifest but I'm sure everything will be fine.