Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

So-easy Rohloff cog removal

(1/4) > >>

Danneaux:
Hi All!

I've removed my Nomad's Rohloff cog periodically to try different cogs and carriers, take measurements for friends, and so on. My hands are sore from overuse and radial styloid tenosynovitis, so I try to find an "easier way" when I can. Early on, I wanted to make the changes without my bench vise and without the risk of oil loss, so several years ago I tumbled to a method that works so easily I thought I'd share it. Of course, afterwards ::) (never fails ;) ) I find someone else made a video showing the same method. ;D

This method makes sprocket changes so easy, it needs to be shared. The TLDR version: Just cross-match your chain whip and wrench handles and give a little squeeze.

The steps are easy:
1) Remove the wheel and lay it sprocket-side up.
2) If you're scratch-averse like me, wrap some electrical tape 'round the exposed right flange of the Rohloff hub, right next to the cog and up about 25mm "just in case" the cog-whip slips. Mine never has, but could.
3) Affix the Rohloff remover firmly with the quick-release..."firmly" meaning no play, but not knuckle-busting tight.
3) Wrap the chain whip 'round the cog, leading with the fixed end of the whip, the free end of the chain going 'round clockwise -- the cog unscrews to the left, counter-clockwise.
4) Affix a 12in or similar adjustable wrench on the removal tool, overlapping the end of the chain whip in an "X" configuration.
5) Now, just squeeze the two handles together. The cog will make a "CLICK!" sound and will be free with almost no effort to speak of, just as shown at the 1min 37sec mark of wowbagger1954's YouTube video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD2K1lrES4E

I really torque my sprocket on going uphill with expedition loads and it still takes very little effort to break it loose this way. Very little arm or hand strength are needed. Because the sprocket side of the hub is up, there is no oil loss.

When you go to replace the sprocket, be sure to check the mating hub face for any grit or debris and wipe it clean, then apply a thin skim of anti-seize or grease to the six-start threads, turn the sprocket counter-clockwise till you hear the "click" of proper thread engagement, then tighten the sprocket till it is just firm. The pressure of pedaling will tighten it home after the wheel is back in the bike.

Best,

Dan.

[Yes, I know the wrench jaws are facing the "wrong" way, but the wrench wouldn't stay posed for the photo when it was positioned properly]

lestat_12345:
That's the same YouTube video I used when I needed to remove my Rohloff cog. It's so much easier to do it this way compared to Rohloff's video for this.

PH:
It's the method I've always used, a bit surprised it was never the recommended way.  Only difference is I invested in the correct size spanner rather than use an adjustable.
All a bit redundant now we have splined sprockets, I haven't touched mine yet, though it looks simple enough.

martinf:

--- Quote from: Danneaux on May 19, 2018, 10:35:34 pm ---4) Affix a 12in or similar adjustable wrench on the sprocket, overlapping the end of the chain whip in an "X" configuration.

--- End quote ---

Shouldn't this read "Affix a 12in or similar adjustable wrench on the remover tool"?

Danneaux:
Yes. Corrected.

Best,

Dan.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version