Author Topic: First two day trip on new Nomad  (Read 3721 times)

GBR66

First two day trip on new Nomad
« on: May 18, 2018, 11:54:53 pm »
Collected new Nomad about a month ago, first cycling since a knee replacement. Shorter cranks helping with lack of flexibility in knee. Went from Reading to Bristol on NCR4 for a try out.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: First two day trip on new Nomad
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 01:35:00 am »
Welcome to the Thorn Cycles Forum, GBR!
first cycling since a knee replacement. Shorter cranks helping with lack of flexibility in knee.
Outstanding and...congratulations!
Reading to Bristol on NCR4 for a try out.
A worthy maiden voyage for your new knee and bike.

The bike and camp look fantastic.

All best wishes for many more happy tours to come.

Dan.

KvBCycles

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 07:59:49 am »
Congratulations  :)
Super nice ride, super nice setup! I see you got a click-stand too - let me know how you are finding it please :)

jags

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 06:32:14 pm »
class set up.how is your knee are you in much pain hopefully not. ;)
enjoy that new beauty stay safe and keep her clean,

Anto.

PH

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 06:37:48 pm »
Good looking set up, bike and kit.
How did you like NCR4?  I was thinking of riding it sometime, is it all reasonable surfaces for a touring bike?

GBR66

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 11:10:39 pm »
Thanks for the comments -in answer to various points:

1, Almost no pain from new knee, just a bit tight, and getting better the more i do. I think I have 160 cranks rather than 175 which i would still struggle with.
2. NCR4 from Reading to Bristol is easy, pretty and midweek when I did it almost empty until Bath. The towpath along the Kennett and Avon varies from smooth and easy to rough large embedded gravel to areas of grass...all entirely do-able on any touring bike but just hard to get much sped up consistently on a loaded bike for quite a lot of the route. The road section from Newbury to Devizes is rolling lanes and very quiet. I camped at Foxhangers below Caen Hill locks and would recommend it - was the only visitor!
3. Nomad is my first touring bike, it's heavy, so am I, so we are "steady" up the hills, particularly with camping gear. However, the Dureme tyres are great on the broken roads around here as well as gravel track and I do like the Rohloff hub. Just adjusting to a slower but more comfortable and flexible way of going!
4. Clickstand is helpful with a loaded bike, by no means a must have but not heavy.