Author Topic: Collect Nomad on Friday  (Read 9062 times)

KvBCycles

Collect Nomad on Friday
« on: May 13, 2018, 12:25:35 pm »
Feeling like the proverbial cat who got the cream  ;D
I collected my new Nomad (620L) on Friday from the SJS shop in Bridgwater and took it for a ride down the canal up to Taunton and back to Bridgwater before catching the train home.
I'll be adding bottle cages to the bike and I'm thinking of how to optimise the space between the ST and back wheel (so much space!).
I opted to go with the butterfly bars in the end and I'm glad I did.
Also went with the Surly Nice front rack as I like that extra bit of top space it offers despite the weight and price of the kit. Not planning to overload the front in case anyone is wondering :)
I am planning to set off in late July for Dover (or Plymouth), ferry across to France, head west in Spain, through Portugal, North to South, back into Spain, ferry across to Morocco then down West coast of Africa heading towards South Africa. See what happens when I get to Cape Town - either up East Coast of Africa, or ship across to South America...we'll see.
Can't stop grinning  ;D

https://www.kvbcycles.com

Dakar

Re: Collect Nomad on Friday
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 01:15:03 pm »
Very nice.. I like that front rack..well may you wear..

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 03:26:30 pm »
All congratulations, K', and best wishes on your upcoming journey. I sure like my own Nomad and can assure you this bike will serve you well.
I'm thinking of how to optimise the space between the ST and back wheel (so much space!).
May I suggest you do a Forum search for posts by "Julio" (no quotes), whose "Camel" yellow Nomad has some unique solutions to filling that space: A custom made bag and bottle holder. Here is a link to Julien's gallery: http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11810.0

Best,

Dan.

j-ms

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 04:35:16 pm »
That's a fine bike, and it looks good too.  A black Nomad II we encountered at our home in Schoenmakerskop near Port Elizabeth (after it had been ridden all the way from Poland by a chap called Eugeniusz Szijlik) was the spark that ended with us buying Thorns and spending most of the past couple of years touring across the world.  It's such a magnificent machine you can't help but dream of riding around the world on one.  Do you plan to keep a blog/journal of your trip ?

PH

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 04:44:54 pm »
Sounds like a great trip and that looks just the right bike for it.  Enjoy both.

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 08:37:04 pm »
Looks nice. 

I am not sure if that light has any vent holes in the bottom, but being up front of the fender it could collect some tire spray in wet conditions.

John Saxby

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 01:37:07 am »
down West coast of Africa heading towards South Africa

Great bike for a great adventure, K -- good luck, and enjoy!

You probably know of Riaan Manser, who rode your route from south to north ten-plus years ago. (His book is Around Africa On My Bicycle.)  Might be worth contacting him for advice.

Cheers,  John

KvBCycles

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 09:04:22 am »
All congratulations, K', and best wishes on your upcoming journey. I sure like my own Nomad and can assure you this bike will serve you well.
I'm thinking of how to optimise the space between the ST and back wheel (so much space!).
May I suggest you do a Forum search for posts by "Julio" (no quotes), whose "Camel" yellow Nomad has some unique solutions to filling that space: A custom made bag and bottle holder. Here is a link to Julien's gallery: http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11810.0

Best,

Dan.

Thank you Dan - appreciate it. Checked out Camel and I think he went with Alpkit for those frame bags...I have some of their gear and they're good, so defo an option, thank you!

KvBCycles

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 09:07:36 am »
That's a fine bike, and it looks good too.  A black Nomad II we encountered at our home in Schoenmakerskop near Port Elizabeth (after it had been ridden all the way from Poland by a chap called Eugeniusz Szijlik) was the spark that ended with us buying Thorns and spending most of the past couple of years touring across the world.  It's such a magnificent machine you can't help but dream of riding around the world on one.  Do you plan to keep a blog/journal of your trip ?

Aaahhh mooi! :) Nice pic of Eugeniusz there! What bottle cages has he got, any idea? I'm looking for ones that can take big bottles - they don't do the BBB Fuel tank no more...there's a Topeak model but reviews aren't great.
Yes - I am going to try keep a blog: kvbcycles.com :)

KvBCycles

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 09:10:55 am »
down West coast of Africa heading towards South Africa

Great bike for a great adventure, K -- good luck, and enjoy!

You probably know of Riaan Manser, who rode your route from south to north ten-plus years ago. (His book is Around Africa On My Bicycle.)  Might be worth contacting him for advice.

Cheers,  John

Thank you John, appreciate it! Yes, I read the book about 2 years ago - he is a fellow Saffa :) If I remember correctly, he went north up the east coast, then south down the west coast - so around Africa. Legend.

jags

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 03:31:52 pm »
great looking bike enjoy every pedal stroke keep her clean. 8) 8)
anto.

j-ms

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 06:31:47 pm »
Aaahhh mooi! :) Nice pic of Eugeniusz there! What bottle cages has he got, any idea? I'm looking for ones that can take big bottles - they don't do the BBB Fuel tank no more...there's a Topeak model but reviews aren't great.
The bottle cages (Profile Designs - 5 quid a pop from SJS) take 1.5 litre soft drink bottles (and 750 ml wine bottles - most important !) and are what Eugenisusz had as well.  I've got three on my bike.

Have bookmarked your blog.

Groete
Jean-Marc

KvBCycles

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 09:32:52 am »
The bottle cages (Profile Designs - 5 quid a pop from SJS) take 1.5 litre soft drink bottles (and 750 ml wine bottles - most important !) and are what Eugenisusz had as well.  I've got three on my bike.

Have bookmarked your blog.

Groete
Jean-Marc

Amazing - those are the cages I've been looking for :) Order placed! Cheers Jean-Marc.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 07:19:03 pm »
Yikes!
Sound of pennies dropping.

I've had these cages on my Raven for X years but never realised they expanded.to take bigger bottles.
It wasn't until looking at the pictures above and.on the SJS site  that I saw I could remove the elastic thread and expand the cage. I had thought it was part of the fixture.

So now I can fit a larger bottle for my hot tours.
Morocco in August should be a good test!

Thanks folks.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

in4

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 10:07:17 pm »
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlHsultJ7aD1gX29KRXNxcajo4ld

I have these cages on my Nomad and use 40oz Rove water bottles with them. They are big bottles but the cages hold them very securely.