Author Topic: New Audax  (Read 8511 times)

RST Scout

• Janet
Re: New Audax
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 09:52:30 pm »
Class well done Janet i can safely say you will never ride the raven again ;)
i love my Audax light fast great uphill and no problem carrying loaded panniers tent barbag none what so ever.
great choice on the Wheels take the seatpost out get a carbon one well worth it.blue is going to look only fantastic. i use the ortlied babag all the time never comes off to be honest  dead handy for grabbing stuff .
ahh the new bike bike sure we are all only big kids .best of luck Janet i know your going to love it i'v only ridden my Terry Dolan Le Tape a handfull of times sine i got the audax although saying that the dolan is a class act as well  but i don't ride in groups anymore so its just gathering dust.

anyway enjoy every pedal stroke and keep her clean. ;)

Anto
(don't forget the photos)

I hate to say this but I'm not the best person for keeping bikes clean. I try not to get them covered in mud etc and have been known to carry them over the sticky stuff (now there's an admission for you :-[). I have got a carradice bar bag which I like (I can get my camera bag in it). I've got some Ortlieb panniers but can't get to grips with the roll tops, I have trouble snapping the buckles shut. However, they are handy when shopping and I get too much, I can just leave the top unfolded. I actually still like and use my (very) old Karrimor Iberian panniers.

And Anto, I have no intention of mothballing my Raven :o The very thought of it. Tut tut.

Janet :)
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 09:57:12 pm »
hah ha wait and see i said the same when i bought the dolan. ;D ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2018, 11:06:41 pm »
Wow! I've just noticed I'm a senior member now.
You are indeed, Janet! :)

All the best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2018, 03:43:39 am »
Janet, on the matter of twinkly bits:

> nicely polished alloy rims would go nicely with black tires and a cobalt frame;

> alloy mudguards ditto -- Velo Orange make some very nice and affordable hammered alloy items, here:  https://velo-orange.com/collections/fenders   I have a pair of the 700 x 45's on my derailleur bike, and they're lovely, esp in the spring sunshine. (They work well in the spring rain, too!)  Can't post a photo, but send me a PM if you like, with your email addr, and I'll send you a photo as installed.

> bell:  I'm also fond of polished brass, and Velo Orange sells this, which sounds as lovely as it looks: https://velo-orange.com/collections/bells/products/temple-bell  Doesn't work so well in the rain, but that's true of most bells I've used, including the ugly ones.

> I've just purchased a very functional Lezyne pump, also in polished alloy. Here's the link: http://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hp-microfldrhpg.php  This weighs less than my similar Topeak -- so far, it performs better than any on-the-bike pump I've used.  I've had two Topeaks over the past several years, and they're OK, but they have a fair amount of plastic in the design, and it's less robust than the alloy. (And less attractive too.)

You'll see several references to VO's products. Their products are attractive and well made. I have no material interest in the firm, but I have a good sampling of their products: a couple of pairs of their Grand Cru randonneur bars; that temple bell adorns my Raven; I have two pairs of VO mudguards (a.k.a. fenders), the hammered finish on my derailleur bike and the Zeppelins on my Raven; and I have several VO alloy rims, the spiffiest ones being polished alloy.

There's a few suggestions. You could spend more money on other brands, but I'm not suggesting you do so. Also, I'm an unabashed fan of polished alloy, a hangover from my motorcycling days -- I don't much like plastic, even quality plastic.

Several weeks to explore the possibilities, anyway! 

Cheers,  John

Neil Jones

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2018, 06:45:00 am »
Exciting news Janet, it's like being a child at Christmas waiting for a new bike to come isn't it.

I'm fortunate to own both an RST and an Audax 853, you will notice a difference in responsiveness and climbing the hills. I think my average speed is about 2mph higher on the Audax. Having said that my RST is still my favourite bike, it may be because it was my first Thorn but it is just so reliable and is the bike I use more than any other.

You now have the best of both worlds, maybe the Audax can be your summer bike and use the RST when the weather turns.

Looking forward to hearing your initial impressions and ride reports.

Regards,
Neil

lewis noble

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 10:17:25 am »
Regarding bells . . . I have one of these on my Sherpa, mounted on steerer tube. 

http://www.lionbellworks.co.uk/webshop.php#!/Classic-Bicycle-Bell-stem-mount/p/15650281/category=2594390

Good, loud, almost strident.  In my view, a bit large to look neat on the Audax - a Knog (or Spur if you fancy spending that sort of money!) I think looks a lot better.

Lewis

PH

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2018, 12:12:51 pm »
If it's cobalt blue, I like it, Janet! Add some alloy twinkly bits too, eh?

Awaiting the photos and stories,

Cheers, John

What kind of twinkly bits were you thinking of John? I like a bit of bling me; but on my bike??? ;)

Janet

You've probably already made most of the relevant choices and tastes differ,  but IMO dark blue is well set off by shiny silver.  As on one of my non Thorn bikes
Hewitt by Paul, on Flickr

John Saxby

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2018, 02:51:20 pm »
That dark blue is very smart, Paul.  I've always liked midnight blue, as well as cobalt blue--the midnight blue point of reference for me were the late-50's Écurie Écosse D-type Jaguars. (Tho' I recall a less expensive but still compelling Cinelli, as well.)

aggs

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2018, 01:15:48 pm »
Nice colour , reminds me of a Nigel Dean I have got, I had it refurbished and powder coated black, I never should have done that!!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 01:18:52 pm »
Exciting news Janet, it's like being a child at Christmas waiting for a new bike to come isn't it.

I'm fortunate to own both an RST and an Audax 853, you will notice a difference in responsiveness and climbing the hills. I think my average speed is about 2mph higher on the Audax. Having said that my RST is still my favourite bike, it may be because it was my first Thorn but it is just so reliable and is the bike I use more than any other.

You now have the best of both worlds, maybe the Audax can be your summer bike and use the RST when the weather turns.

Looking forward to hearing your initial impressions and ride reports.

Neil, You are absolutely right 8). I have noticed I cycle in a higher gear and Scout (RST) is still my first love even tho I will probably ride the Audax more.

Regards,
Neil
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2018, 07:23:08 pm »
Aw there great bikes worth every penny ;)

Anto.