Author Topic: New Audax  (Read 8509 times)

RST Scout

• Janet
New Audax
« on: May 08, 2018, 09:24:58 pm »
I have finally been able to order my new bike. Don't get me wrong, I love my RST dearly and she will always be my best bike but she is heavy. I really struggled last year when I took her on holiday and had to haul her on and off trains. Also, she has fallen over a couple of times because she is too heavy for me if she starts to go (when loaded with shopping!) and don't even talk to me about hills. Its the Rolhoff. Its brilliant but weighty. Fantastic round here where its flat but in North Wales.........
So, I have gone for lightweight this time. Anto will be delighted to know the new bike will be cobalt blue. It will pretty much be an Audax Special but with lightweight wheels (DT Swiss R460 rims) as I found with my old Raleigh the way to a lighter bike is in the (handbuilt) wheels. As it is the smallest frame there is it should come in at around 10Kg. I've also gone for the ultra wide gearing, that way I'll get further up a hill before having to get off  :-[ :o
I have called her Bettina after my favourite cycling author, Bettina Selby.  This will be the longest 5 weeks ever!

Cheers,
Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: New Audax
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 10:50:09 pm »
What wonderful news, Janet -- New Bike Fever is in the air and I can't wait for your photos of it.

Hoping the days pass quickly to minimize the agony of waiting.

Best,

Dan.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 01:00:13 am »
Thanks Dan,
I'm really excited and now I've taken the plunge the waiting will kill me. Ive also got to get a new (second-hand) car to pull my caravan so that will keep me occupied (I hope).

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

John Saxby

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 02:42:59 am »
If it's cobalt blue, I like it, Janet! Add some alloy twinkly bits too, eh?

Awaiting the photos and stories,

Cheers, John

aggs

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 07:53:19 am »
Well worth waiting for , good wheel choice, strong and light!

geocycle

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 09:14:52 am »
Congratulations!  I do understand what you mean about the RST.  It is a truly fantastic bike but is no lightweight.  Most of the time this is not an issue but I agree you notice it loading it into trains, carrying upstairs etc. Hills perhaps as well, but I do think the rohloff has other compensations.  I was in the Dales at the Tour de Yorkshire at the weekend and my RST stood out like a sore thumb among all the other carbon identikit bikes.  My route took me to over 500masl (high for England) and the rohloff just kept winding them in -slowly!

When finance allows I might well indulge in a lighter steel or Ti bike and keep the RST for the commute and touring....  As Dan says new bike fever has sprung with the spring.

PH

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 12:37:29 pm »
Great stuff, the wait will be worth it, looking forward to the photos.

lewis noble

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 02:15:11 pm »
Good news, Janet, I wondered how long it would be before you went for it!!

I have had excellent service from DT Swiss rims on Sherpa. What tyre choice did you go for?

Lewis

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 02:55:47 pm »
Good news, Janet, I wondered how long it would be before you went for it!!

I have had excellent service from DT Swiss rims on Sherpa. What tyre choice did you go for?

Lewis

I went for the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme's in the end. I did plan to go with tubeless Schwalbe G-1 Speed and also to have the Hope hubs plus the Reynolds 853c forks but found that it all added up to more than my budget would allow. I'm not sure I could cope with gunge in the tyres anyway, hence the tubed tyres. I couldn't decide on the colour and had to wait for probate which took much longer than expected. But now I have a completion date of 4th June so I'm a happy bunny. ;D

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 02:57:54 pm »
If it's cobalt blue, I like it, Janet! Add some alloy twinkly bits too, eh?

Awaiting the photos and stories,

Cheers, John

What kind of twinkly bits were you thinking of John? I like a bit of bling me; but on my bike??? ;)

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 03:05:56 pm »
Congratulations!  I do understand what you mean about the RST.  It is a truly fantastic bike but is no lightweight.  Most of the time this is not an issue but I agree you notice it loading it into trains, carrying upstairs etc. Hills perhaps as well, but I do think the rohloff has other compensations.  I was in the Dales at the Tour de Yorkshire at the weekend and my RST stood out like a sore thumb among all the other carbon identikit bikes.  My route took me to over 500masl (high for England) and the rohloff just kept winding them in -slowly!

When finance allows I might well indulge in a lighter steel or Ti bike and keep the RST for the commute and touring....  As Dan says new bike fever has sprung with the spring.

My problem is I'm a very short and light female so the weight affects me more than it would a chap. Mind you, it was amazing how many gentlemen helped me get Scout on the trains (but their faces were a picture when they tried to lift her up). Only 1 guard helped and that was because he was already helping a wheelchair bound traveller and I asked him if I could use the ramp.

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

lewis noble

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 04:49:41 pm »
Light wheels and standard most other kit is a good choice, Janet. Hope hubs v nice, but expensive for any gain there might be, I reckon.

Lewis

jags

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 05:08:37 pm »
Class well done Janet i can safely say you will never ride the raven again ;)
i love my Audax light fast great uphill and no problem carrying loaded panniers tent barbag none what so ever.
great choice on the Wheels take the seatpost out get a carbon one well worth it.blue is going to look only fantastic. i use the ortlied babag all the time never comes off to be honest  dead handy for grabbing stuff .
ahh the new bike bike sure we are all only big kids .best of luck Janet i know your going to love it i'v only ridden my Terry Dolan Le Tape a handfull of times sine i got the audax although saying that the dolan is a class act as well  but i don't ride in groups anymore so its just gathering dust.

anyway enjoy every pedal stroke and keep her clean. ;)

Anto
(don't forget the photos)

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 09:28:46 pm »
Light wheels and standard most other kit is a good choice, Janet. Hope hubs v nice, but expensive for any gain there might be, I reckon.

Lewis

Well, I had to cut down somewhere Lewis and know from experience that the wheels maketh the bike. Was a bit miffed that I had to pay extra for shorter cranks though. 170mm is just too long for my little legs. :'(

Janet

Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 09:30:31 pm »
Wow! I've just noticed I'm a senior member now.
Scout & Bettina's slave!