Community > Non-Thorn Related

bike computer suggestions

(1/2) > >>

in4:
I need a new one. Primarily to keep tabs on my mileage for hub oil changes I'd like one that's wireless.  Readable screen would be good too. Suggestions?
Thanks all

Danneaux:
Hi Ian!

I prefer wired computers over wireless ones as I have found them more reliable in my own use -- no interference issues with light and charging leads and only one battery to deal with (and seemingly longer battery life. To work well for very long, I find I need the ones with large diameter, robust leads.

I prefer the Planet Bike Protege 9.0 wired version except for one thing: It measures average speed over a 10-hour time base. Ride longer than 10 hours and the average speed reads as "Error". Notsogood if you are a 17hr/day rider as I am. I do like the wholly waterproof construction and the body =is= the button and four lines of data are always displayed. I have found the thermometer to be accurate also (keeping in mind it reads the temperature for where =it= is). It has a very robust lead wire.

A very close second -- neck and neck for me -- is the Sigma BC8.12 with the MTB lead wire (not the think road version unless you only intend to use it on the road). It is a simple computer with only a single button and is fully waterproof. If you get one, be sure to secure the head and pickup units with cable ties and not the included o-rings/rubber bands. I bought one of these in Aachen, Germany to replace the computer on the bike I was using and it came only with the o-rings...which were not secure "enough" and caused me to gain so much clearance it did not register the counts so I lost a lot of mileage. After I got home, I replaced the o-rings with cable ties (<2.54mm wide) and all is well. I have the road and MTB versions of the BC8.12 and remain happy with them.

Some computers don't register and display speed very promptly. I have a Specialized Speedzone Comp that does this and it is very disconcerting to find me speed increasing when I take a break from pedaling. Similarly, it can't keep up in displaying my speed when I am bombing downhill.

Your needs may differ, so keep that in mine. I don't need cadence, but do need:
• Current speed
• Average speed
• Trip time
• Trip distance
• Total distance
• Pacing arrows (to show if I am above/below average are nice)
• Maximum speed is nice to see how fast I managed to go downhill After :o

Best,

Dan.

energyman:
Cateye do a very reliable selection of wireless bike computers. 
Aldi (if available) do good ones too but you have to wait until they pop up in the special offers.

jags:
Cateye velo 7 does everything bar hang out the washing. ;)

anto.

Tiberius:
Another call for the Cateye Velo range.....I have three bikes running Cateye Velo Plus wireless computers.

100% reliable, not effected by the SON28 dyno-hubs or anything else and the batteries last for ages..so long that I can't actually remember when I last changed one (100 miles/week average between the three bikes)

Funnily enough, the only cycle computer that has ever failed on me was a Cateye WIRED one on my single speeder. It started to seriously under read....Nothing that I tried would sort it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version