Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Schwalbe Duremes?

(1/3) > >>

Inbred:
I see that SJSC have had some Schwalbe Dureme tyres especially made for them.
I've heard rave reviews about them and they come highly recommended in the Thorn brochures.
Before investing £80.00 on a pair, I thought I'd see if any of you good people have used them and what you thought.
Thanks in advance for the help 🙂👍

DAntrim:
I use Duremes on a club tour and mercury, best investment I ever made. I commute daily and can't remember the last time I had a puncture, which on UK roads and cycle paths says something, I average around 9k miles on each set before having to replace the rear and the front will last around 12k, as it was getting difficult to buy them stocked up and have around 4 years worth left before I have to try and find replacements.

Carlos.

julk:
I use 26” x 2” folding Duremes on an expR.
I find them the best touring tyres I have used.
Smooth supple ride with an all rounder tread suitable for most surfaces.
I run mine at low pressures 30 - 40 ppi and find they absorb a lot of the poor road surface vibration.
Recommended.
Julian.

martinf:
I ordered Dureme tyres in the 50 mm width when I bought my Thorn Raven Tour touring bike. Since then I have mainly used this bike on good road surfaces, so after a while I swapped out the Duremes for 50 mm Supremes, the latter being a bit lighter, slightly faster but more fragile.

I then fitted the Duremes to an old utility bike that I used mostly for survey work (lots of riding on paths and tracks), it is now used as a visitor bike at our island flat where it again gets used on a mix of roads, paths and tracks. The Duremes seem excellent for this type of use.

My opinion of the Duremes (in the 26" x 50 mm size that I have):

- tougher than Supremes, so more suited to touring with a mix of roads and tracks
- long lasting (probaby better than Supremes, which last a long time with me)
- not quite so free-rolling as Supremes, but still very good when compared with the other 26" x 50 mm tyres I have used

If planning a tour with more than very occasional use of tracks I intend to refit Duremes to my touring bike.   

mickeg:
I thought it best to tell you what I like for various conditions, so you can see when I prefer the Dureme and what I compare it to.

For touring on pavement, I use the Schwalbe 40mm wide (1.5 width) Marathons (with Greenguard).

For touring on mixed gravel and pavement, I like the 50mm wide Dureme (non-tandem version).

I did two tours that were about 80 to 90 percent on very good quality gravel, for those I ran the 50mm Dureme (non-tendem) on front and 50mm Extreme on rear.

For one tour where I have a very heavy load and was often on really poor quality roads, I used 57mm wide Extremes on both front and rear.

Schwalbe also made a tandem version of the Dureme.  (It says Tandem on the sidewall in small print.)  That tire is much stiffer than the non-tandem Dureme and I think the Tandem version has greater rolling resistance.  I accidentally bought one tandem version without realizing it, until it arrived.  It would have been difficult to return it, so I sometimes put the tandem rated tire on the front of my Nomad. 

They are a robust tire, but as I noted above on a trip where I will always have good pavement I use a less robust narrower tire than the Dureme.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version