Author Topic: Henry is here  (Read 9111 times)

in4

Henry is here
« on: April 29, 2018, 09:21:27 am »
After an elephantine gestation he's arrived.
Virtually straight out of the box, save for the Camper long flap and steel water bottles.

jags

Re: Henry is here
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 01:57:12 pm »
class. 8) 8)

anto.

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 03:59:00 pm »
Serious looking bike.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 04:05:23 pm »
After an elephantine gestation...
Good things are worth the wait.  :)

Absolutely superb looking machine, Ian...ready for anything and a ready and willing companion on your tours.

I especially like the blue bottles.

Welcome, Henry; all congratulations Ian.

All the best,

Dan.

geocycle

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 05:48:13 pm »
Great bike, I think the fragile tape on the box must be ironic. What tours are in store?

in4

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 07:15:48 pm »
After much measuring at home, a trip to Bridgwater resulted in a 590L being ordered. At 1.78m and 77kg I felt I was betwixt sizes but the 590L is a great fit. I've a few bar height adjustments to make and the saddle might move a little but, for 'out of the box' I'm pleased. The Carradice Camper Long flap is just for temporary use; needs a separate bracket as it doesn't work with the Thorn rear rack.
Thanks for the plaudites and good wishes. Henry is flattered!

PH

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 07:30:32 pm »
Looks the business ;)
First time with the GP5s? I absolutely love these, but worth experimenting with the angles to get them just right, took me a few adjustments, I'd think I had it perfect then another ride would show that wasn't the case. 

energyman

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 10:04:19 pm »
The bees knees - very nice !

in4

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 11:18:10 pm »
I had gp5s on my derailleur Nomad and liked them.  You're right 're adjusting them. I like having the option of riding on the horns too. I've  not got a mirror that will fit them yet so any suggestions would be welcome.

David Simpson

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 01:08:50 am »
I had gp5s on my derailleur Nomad and liked them.  You're right 're adjusting them. I like having the option of riding on the horns too. I've  not got a mirror that will fit them yet so any suggestions would be welcome.

When I got my Nomad (5 years ago), I went through the same search for a mirror to mount on the GP5 "horns". I eventually switched to the GP1 (no horns) and used metal bars ends with a mirror mounted in the end of the bar ends. The mirror is designed to mount in the end of handlebars, so it fit nicely in the end of the metal bar end.

Here is the mirror:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/mirrycle-mountain-mirrycle-mirror-for-straight-handlebars

My post here describes why I like the high-mounted mirror:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12872.msg96401#msg96401

I've posted a photo below. (The photo is a bit messed up. I'll try to find the original photo.)

- DaveS
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 01:12:26 am by David Simpson »

jags

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 09:45:16 am »
Virtually straight out of the box, save for the Camper long flap and steel water bottles.
why henry.

martinf

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 02:09:44 pm »
When I got my Nomad (5 years ago), I went through the same search for a mirror to mount on the GP5 "horns". I eventually switched to the GP1 (no horns) and used metal bars ends with a mirror mounted in the end of the bar ends. The mirror is designed to mount in the end of handlebars, so it fit nicely in the end of the metal bar end.

I have the same Thorn handlebar with the graduations on my Raven Utility. I have GP4 grips/bar ends, and have 3.5 cms of uncut handlebar protruding from the bar ends on each side.

I mounted a B&M Cyclestar 80 mm mirror clamped to the left-hand end of the handlebar, in this position the mirror is far enough out to give a fairly clear view of traffic behind, and does not interfere with hand positions on the grips or bar ends.

energyman

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 03:43:28 pm »
why henry.

Maybe it's his 8th bike ?
;)

in4

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 04:44:22 pm »
Why Henry? My much loved labrador; that was his name. Always brings a smile my face.

jags

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 04:51:18 pm »
ah i like it  ;)

Anto.