Author Topic: UK but mostly Scotland (if that's possible)  (Read 10565 times)

rualexander

Re: UK but mostly Scotland (if that's possible)
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 03:27:13 pm »
.......and only in peak season around the west coast hot spots (Skye, Glen Nevis, others) and when the wind is calm.

Not true.
Midgies can be pretty horrendous any time between late May and mid September and anywhere in rural Scotland except perhaps the east coast, although they are worse in the more western areas of the country.
e.g. this year in the first week of June in Glen Tromie (Cairngorms), really bad midgies all evening and in the morning.

Also, never had a tick in all my years of camping in Scotland.
Although they are supposedly becoming more prevalent.

macspud

Re: UK but mostly Scotland (if that's possible)
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 04:21:39 am »
.......and only in peak season around the west coast hot spots (Skye, Glen Nevis, others) and when the wind is calm.

Not true.
Midgies can be pretty horrendous any time between late May and mid September and anywhere in rural Scotland except perhaps the east coast, although they are worse in the more western areas of the country.
e.g. this year in the first week of June in Glen Tromie (Cairngorms), really bad midgies all evening and in the morning.

Also, never had a tick in all my years of camping in Scotland.
Although they are supposedly becoming more prevalent.

You are lucky. Last year I had 87 tick bites before midsummer. I gave up counting they were so rife. I did start talking garlic supplement capsules which helped but couldn't hardly go for a walk offroad without finding them on me. I only kept count of the ones that succeeded to bite me.