Author Topic: Thorn Service  (Read 5489 times)

Dave B

Thorn Service
« on: April 06, 2018, 10:36:01 pm »
Visited Bridgewater yesterday to have my 2012  Nomad serviced for the first time by SJS. The bike has run without issue for 6 years! Would like to thank Dave and the team for the care and professionalism that they lashished on my pride and joy.

bikerta

Re: Thorn Service
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 07:56:27 pm »
Glad all went well for your service. Got my Sherpa booked in on Friday for service after talking to a very friendly and helpful lady on telephone. Will need new brakes and tyres too I think. Tread on tyres is fine, but I  have a few splits on the side walls so will renew just to be on the safe side. They are Schwalbe Duremes and I have been very pleased with them so far. They have done well over 6,000 miles and no punctures!!   

I was worried about spending the money on a new set when I could buy cheaper, but then stopped and realised that my bike is my main transport for commuting to work and it would cost me a whole lot more to service and put new brakes and tyres on a car. 

Dave B

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 10:55:38 am »
Dureme are no longer available. Although I  to liked them i didn't have  much luck, hit a large piece of glass which tore a hole out of one of them. Currently running mondials which are great, will  replace them  like for like. SJS are very competitive on their tyres. Cheap tyres aren't worth the hassle.  Buy cheap,  buy twice

ridgeback63

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 12:56:27 pm »
I think SJS still have a stock of Duremes

jags

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 04:34:54 pm »
Glad all went well for your service. Got my Sherpa booked in on Friday for service after talking to a very friendly and helpful lady on telephone. Will need new brakes and tyres too I think. Tread on tyres is fine, but I  have a few splits on the side walls so will renew just to be on the safe side. They are Schwalbe Duremes and I have been very pleased with them so far. They have done well over 6,000 miles and no punctures!!   

I was worried about spending the money on a new set when I could buy cheaper, but then stopped and realised that my bike is my main transport for commuting to work and it would cost me a whole lot more to service and put new brakes and tyres on a car.

nice miles i think i done  2000 last year im becoming a right lazy git. :'(

David Simpson

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 04:45:31 pm »
According to their website, SJS still have Duremes in stock.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres/schwalbe-marathon-dureme-hs410-folding-tyre-26-x-20-inch-50559/

They are great tyres. I have almost 10,000 km on mine, and they still have lots of life left.

- DaveS

geocycle

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 05:38:45 pm »
Glad you received good service. What did it entail, what is covered?

bikerwaser

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 06:13:30 pm »
I bought 2 sets of Duremes over the years (first lots were wired and the second was folding) and they both have cracked on the sidewall.

I kept them well within the recommended PSI.

I've given up with Schwalbe and switched to Continentals.

I might have stuck with Schwalbe if they still sold the Extremes (as they're the only Schwalbes I never had issues with and thought were awesome) but the Mondials are too heavy.

Dave B

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 06:23:22 pm »
Went for the full service minus oil change.  Cables were replaced,  most interested in having the Rohloff cables  replaced as lbs dosent have the necessary experience.  Spokes checked for correct tension plus much else. Also had chain replaced and new styled splined sprockets fitted, plus a new front chainring. Bike was still running like a dream after 6 years, but thought it wise not to push my luck.  Would visited SJS more often but it's a pain to get to, it's a good job their bikes are so reliable.

GBR66

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 12:53:14 am »
Thorn have Duremes, my new Nomad has them and Andy told me they have had them made just for them...

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 07:22:10 am »
I live in Spain and would like to have a full service/checkup by SJS on my 2009 Sterling. Getting it there seems rather daunting though. Driving over these days is not economically viable. Have others sent their bikes over from Europe via courier? How did it go? What did you pack it in? How long was the round-trip?
Brian.