Author Topic: Anyone riding Audax on a Mercury?  (Read 18133 times)

PH

Re: Anyone riding Audax on a Mercury?
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2020, 09:18:13 pm »
Which one of their current offerings would you say is closest to yours?
That's not such an easy question, I've had a look and it might be this one
https://www.jacksrbetter.com/product/hudson-river-hammock-quilt/

That's lighter than mine, which must mean less fill, but it's also box section while mine is sew through which isn't as good.  The only one that's a comparable weight to mine is this top of the range one
 https://www.jacksrbetter.com/product/old-rag-mtn-winter-hammock-quilt/

I think as they've developed the construction has improved needing less fill, but not having put that to the test I couldn't say how effective I think it is.

PH

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2020, 09:54:25 pm »

Jack'sRBetter are pretty decent bottom and top quilts but far from the best, whether one is going for high end or low end.

Good info Pavel, I didn't find any of those when I was searching, maybe they're newer companies, or maybe I was just rubbish at searching. 
Even in the UK there's now a few options, which were not around a few years ago,

Pavel

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2020, 10:38:29 pm »
Yer rubbish at searching ;) .  They have been around at least 12 years, probably longer.

But there are many, many good companies here stateside, which cater mostly to Hammockers, but the top quilts can be made for ground sleepers as well.  That is my approach, to have gear that serves both ways.

Over the years I've had terrible luck with inflatable mattresses.  The Big Agnes brand, of which I had about five, were particularly terrible.  They would develop tiny pinprick holes, a thousand in a two foot areas, and from what I have no idea.  They are big into hip advertising, but the quality in my experience has been terrible.  I've had several Alpkit mats as well, that just leak air from the inflation valves and so I trashed two after two years, and kept on mat which doesn't hold air, for when I roll around on the ground working on my motorcycle.

I don't know if I've simply had bad luck, or what, but about six months ago, I was at REI ( a big, overpriced outdoor retailer, but with a good warranty) and the demo mat, in their OWN brand, was de-laminating between the valleys of the mattress.  Sheesh.

But on the other hand, we have absolutely amazing light weight and small packing gear available nowadays, which would boggle the imagination, just a few decades ago.  We live in good cycling times!

Three other good quality suppliers who have much customizing for those that have special demands, and who's products are super light and packable.   

Loco Libre gear:  https://www.locolibregear.com/gear.html#!/Ultralight-Quilts/c/19561052/offset=0&sort=normal

Warbonnet Outdoors: https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/topquilts/

UGQ: https://ugqoutdoor.com/top-quilts/bandit/

From my experience UGQ are kind of considered among the very best among the hard core hammocking community, sort of like Thorn bikes, if the bikes weighed only a few ounces, and compressed down into a water bottle.  :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 11:04:51 pm by Pavel »

PH

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2023, 06:22:03 pm »
Five years on and I’m back asking (Myself) some of the same questions, quick recap before I do:
April 2018 I’m pondering whether the Mercury is going to suit me for Audax or whether to recommission an Audax bike.  By June I’ve decided it’s not without compromise but those compromises are worth it and rode 3,500km of events that year.  2019, didn’t Audax but did quite a lot of light touring on the Mercury and more heavier touring on other bikes.  Mostly solo riding for the last couple of years, for the obvious reasons.  Also in that time, crashed and replaced the Mercury, so it’s now a Mk3, the tyre size has increased to 40mm and the frame is a bit heavier, bike now weights 13.85kg.  I’ve also supplemented it with a Nomad, so the Mercury can be saved for lighter duties.
No touring this year, all my holidays are taken up with non-cycling plans. So, hopefully 2023 is going to be an Audax year.  I’ve booked 7 rides between March and July, 200 – 400km events, 1,600km in total, I’ll see how the first couple go before committing to anything else. 

I’m asking (Again, myself as much as anyone else, but all contributions welcome) how I might best set up the Mercury for this specific task.  Among the things I’m considering:
Lights V’s bar bag– I have dynamo lights, but on dark lanes like to supplement them with battery lights.  I also use a bar bag, but haven’t found al solution to using them together, the T bar I tried doesn’t really work for me. I could easily carry the few bits I have in the bar bag elsewhere, just lose the convenience of an easy on/off, that would also save 450g.  Or try a helmet light, though it’s as expensive experiment.
Tyres – I liked the 32mm Supremes I had on in 2018, I like the 40’s even more.   They are still touring tyres and I’m pondering something lighter, particularly for the longer summer rides.  In 2018 I got as far as ordering 32mm Conti GP4S, but turned out they didn’t have stock.  I used GP4S in the 28mm size on my previous Audax bikes, they were my favourite tyre in every regard except longevity, they wear pretty fast.  Are they still likely to be the best option? Thinking big road bike tyres rather than touring.  I’ve considered and rejected tubeless, just not for me.
 Saddlebag – I like the traditional Carradice, but it’s a hefty lump of canvas and the buckles are a bit fiddly compared to any sort of snap fastener.  I’m contemplating making something lighter, any suggestions or examples?  I’m probably going to keep the Bagman it sits on, despite the weight, the bag rides nice on it and it’s a good place for a light.
Rear wheel – This wheel build pre-dates the Mercury by a few years, it’s faultless and bombproof, SJS build on a heavy Sputnik rim.  I’m reluctant to touch it, but the temptation has been there for years… I could take 350g off the wheel weight, I’m going to notice that aren’t I?
Fork – I’ve toyed with the idea of a full carbon fork, the 400g saving would be nice, but the cost (With new brake, wheel and dynamo) gets prohibitive.  I’m also a bit nervous how one would stand up to the life my bikes have, not so much riding (Excluding accidents) but rather the likes of train travel and being stacked up outside cafes.  I’m not careless, but I don’t want to start being a precious with bikes as some I ride with, so for me Steel remains Real!
I think I’ve got my kit about right, might run through the tools and spares options on the scales, but don’t think I’ve much to gain. 
Anything else?  Have you come across something in the last few years that’s been a revelation?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 06:28:32 pm by PH »

martinf

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2023, 07:23:55 pm »
Lights V’s bar bag– I have dynamo lights, but on dark lanes like to supplement them with battery lights.  I also use a bar bag, but haven’t found al solution to using them together, the T bar I tried doesn’t really work for me. I could easily carry the few bits I have in the bar bag elsewhere, just lose the convenience of an easy on/off, that would also save 450g.

I put all the things I want to take off the bike for (very) short stops in a very light foldable rucksack (15 litres). Which goes in the saddlebag of one of my lightweight bikes, or on top of other stuff in one of the panniers on my other bikes. I prefer this to a handlebar bag. Something like this, but mine is 15 litres and probably weighs even less than the 145g of the 20 litre model:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/waterproof-foldable-backpack-20l-travel/_/R-p-309854?mc=8560419&c=PURPLE

Tyres – I liked the 32mm Supremes I had on in 2018, I like the 40’s even more.   They are still touring tyres and I’m pondering something lighter, particularly for the longer summer rides.  In 2018 I got as far as ordering 32mm Conti GP4S, but turned out they didn’t have stock.

My "Mercury equivalent" Raven Sport Tour has 40 mm Supremes, in the 26" size. They seem to be the sweet spot for my type of riding with this bike, more comfortable than narrower tyres on the small, not too well-maintained roads I tend to favour, and not too much speed penalty over the 32 mm Continental Grand Prix 5000 I have on my old lightweight 700C bike.

According to the Bicycle Rolling Resistance website, Continental Grand Prix 5000 are one of the tyres in 700C x 32 mm that have lowest rolling resistance. They probably won't last so long as Supremes, but might be a better choice for Audax on good road surfaces.

Saddlebag – I like the traditional Carradice, but it’s a hefty lump of canvas and the buckles are a bit fiddly compared to any sort of snap fastener.  I’m contemplating making something lighter, any suggestions or examples?  I’m probably going to keep the Bagman it sits on, despite the weight, the bag rides nice on it and it’s a good place for a light.

A long time ago I made a reasonably light saddlebag from medium-weight coated nylon, more or less the same size as a Carradice Camper. It served me well for about 30 years before completely falling to bits, but it wasn't so nice as the canvas Carradice saddlebag that replaced it. The two major downsides of my home-made effort were:

- Far less waterproof. Not too bad when new, but the coating on the nylon wore off fairly quickly.
- Sagging. Being more rigid, the Carradice saddlebag held it's shape better.

Rear wheel – This wheel build pre-dates the Mercury by a few years, it’s faultless and bombproof, SJS build on a heavy Sputnik rim.  I’m reluctant to touch it, but the temptation has been there for years… I could take 350g off the wheel weight, I’m going to notice that aren’t I?

Yes, but probably less than changing the tyres. I have fairly lightweight Mavic 717 rims on my Raven Sport Tour, which have held up well. And even lighter Mavic Open Pro 28 hole rims on my old 700C lightweight.

Fork – I’ve toyed with the idea of a full carbon fork, the 400g saving would be nice, but the cost (With new brake, wheel and dynamo) gets prohibitive.  I’m also a bit nervous how one would stand up to the life my bikes have, not so much riding (Excluding accidents) but rather the likes of train travel and being stacked up outside cafes.  I’m not careless, but I don’t want to start being a precious with bikes as some I ride with, so for me Steel remains Real!

Personally, I wouldn't touch carbon for a fork. IIRC the Mercury could have a Reynolds 531 fork, or a lighter Reynolds 853 fork. If you don't have the latter it might make a slight difference.

JohnR

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2023, 10:43:50 pm »
Would this lighter Carradice saddlebag tick the right box https://spacycles.co.uk/m5b0s73p3990/CARRADICE-Bikepacking-%28Lightweight-Cordura%29-Audax-Saddlebag? It's a floppy material and I've stiffened mine with Correx (suggest to me elsewhere in this forum). Or would one of the bigger saddlepacks be suitable? I used one of these https://spacycles.co.uk/m5b0s73p48/CARRADICE-Super-C-Saddlepack on my last supported tour. It's a bit of hassle to fit and remove so I put all the contents into a suitable drybag which was easy to remove. There are also seatpacks which are a size bigger. It may be wishful thinking but I would expect these packs to have less aerodynamic drag than a saddlebag.

PH

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2023, 10:44:30 am »
Thanks both, plenty to ponder there and I've nothing better to do as it's icy outside. 
I've been looking at tyre weights and if they're accurate I'm surprised how little difference there is between GP4S and Supreme in the same 32mm size 340/380g.  Those GP5000's are worth considering, I didn't know they came that wide, the weight comes down to 290g, no one seems to have stock, though I'm not in a hurry.  I've also remembered I have a part worn 32mm Supreme on a spare wheel and a decent condition 28mm GP4S, I might play with putting them on back/front and get some real world numbers.
That spare wheel is a decent Open Pro/Campag hub front, so something else I could do is swap that out for the dynamo wheel for daytime rides, though annoyingly the brakes would need adjusting each time I swapped back and forth, something else that needs RW numbers to justify the effort.
I think I've decided the bar bag is coming off, I can re-locate everything except the camera into a lightweight top tube bag.  I ought to leave the 550g camera at home if I'm weight counting, I bought my current phone on the basis of the camera reviews and although I don't doubt it's ability, I haven't got to grips with using it.
Thanks John for the reminder about Carradice's Audax bags, I remember when they came out but had forgotten.  It's a lighter version of a bigger bag than mine, though still a 220g saving, I've put it on the possible list.  I also have an Ortlieb seatpack that gets used on the folder, it has enough volume (If I'm disciplined) for a day ride, I'd have to supplement it (Stuff sack on rear rack?) on overnighters.  I do find those sorts of packs more of a faff than saddlebags when it comes to getting stuff out, I can access everything in the Carradice without getting anything I don't need out.  I might experiment with using it and decide if it's worth the compromise, costs nothing to do so and along with the Bagman makes a significant saving, probably 0.5kg (I don't know the Bagman weight).  If that didn't work out I could swap the straps for buckles on my Carradice, accept the weight but increase the convenience. Losing the Bagman means losing a light position, I can live without a dynamo rear light for the Mercury's newer role.
Another big one is a lock, I don't carry anything on these rides that would satisfy my insurers, I try not to leave the bike out of sight, though it's sometimes inevitable, more so riding to/from the event than the event itself. I've been carrying a 600g chain, though I could take a 200g cable, it's a tough choice.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 10:49:01 am by PH »

geocycle

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2023, 07:09:11 pm »
Could you use a carradice zipped role as a bar bag? I think they would hang ok and have a good zip and press stud fastening,probably depends on the cabling.  Or you might be in the realm of bike packing bags like those that sit on the top tube, again I saw carradice do one as do many others.

Bit of an aside, but I’ve just started using a Garmin Varia rear light and radar. It’s astonishing, pairs with my wahoo and shows approaching cars very accurately. I just hang it on the saddlebag. Apparently it flashes more as cars get nearer. Doesn’t replace looking over shoulder or mirror but certainly helps.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2023, 07:16:15 pm »
Hi Paul,

Late to the party here, but I may be able to contribute some thoughts...

All of my solo 400km rides are completed within 24 hours and so this means depending on season there is more or less dark (really dark and for a long time if it is a moonless night in, say, October). Temperature and weather over the whole of the route needs to be considered and as most of mine involve going from the valley where I live up to and over mountain passes; there can be a chance of really cold nighttime temps and even the possibility of snow or freezing rain "up top" even when it is sunny and mild below. I try to equip the bike and pack for it accordingly. Also...! I try to squeeze in between 30min and 3 hours' sleep when I can depending on my running average for that 24-hour window. A lot depends on terrain and weather conditions. My last included 91kms of 5% upgrade followed by 14kms of 8% climbing before a blistering downhill timed for the dead of night as it happened. I've gone straight through without sleep but feel less hammered by the effort when I can engineer some rest breaks, so sometimes that means tossing in a lightweight self-inflating mattress and a mylar sleep-sack or looking for some hay bales to lay on at road-maintenance sites. For me, the benefits outweigh the extra weight but this is something that varies with the individual and for me, over time (i.e. I got older).

For lighting, I prefer dynamo-based as my primary lighting source with battery backup for those occasions when I simply need more light. I came whooping 'round a corner to belatedly find a rockslide in my path one time. "Belatedly" because my first notice of it was when the bike jumped and I nicked three teeth off my large chainring before going down. Of course, this stopped my forward movement and along with it, my dyno-generated lighting so the fall to the pavement was in stygian darkness and seemed to take forever before the inevitable "Ouch!". I learned that night to always start the battery lights before the sketchier sections in case my speed (suddenly) dropped too low for "bright enough" dyno lighting to see such things in advance. I used a strap-on battery pack (which I occasionally carried in a jersey pocket) and two battery lights clamped to the tops of my drop handlebars, my HB bag sitting below bar-top level thanks to a T-bar. It worked well enough for the distance-aiming I wanted for those lights and where oncoming traffic was not a consideration.

For tires, I prefer 38mm road tires if the bike and mudguards will accept them with adequate clearance. Otherwise, my narrowest preferred fallback is 32-35mm, again depending on clearance, with pressures adjusted for 15% drop under load of bike and rider. I tend to feel too much road shock and cumulative fatigue doing those same rides on 28mm tires.

Saddlebag: All my rando bikes are equipped with a rear rack and so it has worked well for me to use an expandable rack-top pack. Mine are made of Cordura nylon, have side pockets and a top that accordions upward when needed for more space.

One thing that positively transformed long-distance riding for me is the suspension seatpost. I have fitted Thudbuster ST (Short Travel) sus-posts to all my rando bikes. They don't absorb nearly the shocks my LT (Long Travel) Thudbusters do, but they surely take the "edge" off chip-seal and pavement irregularities and these were taking a greater toll on my overall endurance than I thought simply by causing more fatigue due to cumulative road shock over 24 hours' riding. Fitting tires with a larger cross-section/volume could accomplish the same end goal, but clearance quickly becomes an issue on most 700C-wheeled road bikes used for rando work. 650B opens up a lot of possibilities here because the frames are generally built with wider clearances for fatter tires fitted with mudguards. I am seriously considering using my Enduro-Allroad bike for next summer's rides as it has 26x2.0 tires and a TB LT seatpost and isn't really any slower in practice than my more rando-focused road bikes.

I generally carry food I can eat on the bike while underway and try to regulate my water intake to minimize toilet stops. Even so, like with the sleep breaks, I have taken to adding food/get off and walk-around breaks as I have grown older (63 in March) and still manage to get in under my 24-hour deadline so I'm guessing the rest and breaks haven't affected my Average Overall so much after all and likely boosted my Running Average to compensate. Running average tends to be above 25kmh, so about 23.2hours of actual riding time for 400km/248mi at that pace.

My preference is only for steel bikes and I have done enough warranty consulting for local bike shops in the past to shy away from using carbon forks myself. Sometimes my routes include gravel and it is amazing the damage a thrown rock while underway can do to a carbon fork (not to mention myriad other causes of damage, most of which appear totally innocent at the time but result in Real Problems when examined more closely). My steel rando bikes are essentially road-touring bikes, all weighing around 14.5-15kg dry and fully equipped. All have derailleur drivetrains and I usually remove the front racks for rando rides except for those occasions when two small panniers are my carry-bags for the ride. When I have done that, I sorely missed my HB bag, so it is back to the HB bag and rack-top pack combo for me.

As for what I carry...well, it is only for 24 hours (I tend to top out there, finding it less fun to go further in one go), so I carry things like energy bars I can eat while riding, dried bananas and fruit, beef or turkey jerky, and so on. I have taken a small homemade spirit stove and cup set (pictured below) for brewing hot tea or warming dehydrated soup or even my "ultralight touring setup" if I plan to do back-to-back days of, say, 300kms each. See...
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12866.msg97165#msg97165 That has everything I could possibly need.

For one and don rides, I make sure my bikes start in good shape (as they always are) and then take only a spare tube, instant and vulcanizing patch kits, a spare mini-pump, tire levers, and a multitool for tools. For clothing, I generally take a longsleeve wool jersey sometimes with nylon wind-facing on the front, a wind jacket, and tights or wool arm and leg warmers, something to keep my knees warm as the temps drop with nighttime and altitude (the two usually correlate given my routes and location). Rain gear, of course: Rain jacket, helmet cover, rain pants, booties, gloves which can doube in purpose to add warmth if needed. Almost never carried in the summer months, almost always at every other time of year.

As usual for me, water is an issue and the mountain roads I ride are often alongside rivers and creeks that are inaccessible due to the way the banks are configured next to the road or because they are far below road grade. As a result, I always carry at least 3l with me and still sometimes toss in my SteriPen in case I can find a source. There really aren't stores and such where I can refill for the criticl middle part of my long rides, so this is just something I have to consider and carry to address. Those 3l amount to 3kg in water weight plus containers and holders, so that adds almost as much to my bike weight as everything else I usually carry.

Hope something in the above may prove useful to you, Paul. All support and continued encouragement on your efforts.

Best, Dan.

martinf

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2023, 08:06:47 pm »
I've been looking at tyre weights and if they're accurate I'm surprised how little difference there is between GP4S and Supreme in the same 32mm size 340/380g.  Those GP5000's are worth considering, I didn't know they came that wide, the weight comes down to 290g, no one seems to have stock, though I'm not in a hurry.

For me the attraction of the GP5000 was the very low rolling resistance quoted rather than the lower weight. The Bicycle Rolling Resistance website quotes 11.4 watts at 75 psi, this compares to 16.9 watts for a Supreme in the 37-622 size (data for the 32-622 size is members only). These are static tests, so might not reflect real road conditions. But subjectively, the GP5000 feel faster.

Conventional wisdom suggests that saving weight makes most difference in the wheels, so it ought to make more sense getting lighter tyres and rims rather than trying to shed weight elsewhere on the bike (the best "elsewhere" place is usually the rider).

Another big one is a lock, I don't carry anything on these rides that would satisfy my insurers, I try not to leave the bike out of sight, though it's sometimes inevitable, more so riding to/from the event than the event itself. I've been carrying a 600g chain, though I could take a 200g cable, it's a tough choice.

For Audax-style riding I don't carry a proper lock, just à very minimalist cable lock that wouldn't last 5 seconds if faced with a professional bike thief. Just a deterrent for opportunists, and even then it wouldn't slow them very much. I am also lucky to live in an area with low bike theft.

For more leisurely rides when I might want to stop for a restaurant meal I carry my (relatively) heavy U-lock.

mickeg

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2023, 10:00:33 pm »
For Randonneuring, I like both a handlebar bag and the Carradice Pendle.

I do not get too excited about weight, my wheels are heavier than most other riders on a brevet, they are built good enough for touring and the rear wheel was used for several tours.  And I have fenders, dyno powered lighting plus a batter flasher in back.  Thus, I am sure my bike is heavier than yours even when mine is derailleur.  Some of the brevets in my area will start out in temps of about 5 degrees (C), thus I want enough saddlebag capacity to carry the layers that I shed, along with rain gear.  I am 69 years old, I fully expect to be the last person to complete any brevets that I enter.

First photo is my rando bike.  But I use a much smaller handlebar bag on a brevet.  (Apologies for posting a non-Thorn photo.)

Second photo shows a skier type lock on my Nomad Mk II, it will stop an opportunist but the cable is not much stronger than a brake cable.  An alternative if you do not carry a lock is to clip your helmet straps through the spokes so that a thief would have to spend some time unclipping the helmet to abscond with your bike.

Third photo is a closeup of my Carradice Pendle, how it is mounted.  I use a stem and a shim to fit the stem to the 27.2 seatpost to hold the bag further back away from the seatpost so my legs do not hit the bag.  This photo is on my light touring bike.

Fourth photo shows the inside of the Pendle, I use Coroplast as a stiffener.  It is not attached, just loose in the bag so that the bag does not sag down.  In the bag I have a water bottle, some wind pants that I have shed, and a plastic case to protect my banana from getting crushed.  Since the bag is usually less than half full, the stiffener helps a lot to give it shape.  But it is full on the warmest part of the day on a brevet.  Spare tube is in a pocket on the Pendle, some granola bars in the other pocket.

I have nothing to add to the tire discussion.

PH

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2023, 12:20:49 am »
Thanks for the interesting replies and the reminder not to take it too seriously.  Point taken that weight off the rider is often a better option, I've had two years of more calories in than out and rectifying that is an ongoing project.  Signing up for some challenging rides is in part motivation to  doing that.  I enjoyed reading Dan and mickeg's Randonneuring experience, is it just the British who call it Audaxing? The UK events seem a bit soft compared to Dan's description, I'm rarely that remote to worry about things like water supply.

Anyway, phase one complete - Mostly as above:
Bar bag off and top tube bag on - 470g
Carradice and bagman off, ortlieb seatpack, stuffsack and additional battery light added - 810g
Front tyres swapped from 40mm Supreme to 32mm Supreme - 90g
Toolkit reduced from 490g to 220g, this one surprised me, out of sight out of mind, I've just got in the habit of taking the same tools to ride around the block as to tour with.  I've trimmed it down to cover emergencies not a full service!
If I also leave the camera at home and take the cable lock instead of the chain,  that means going out the door 2.5kg lighter than it came in.  If nothing else it'll be easier to carry it up the stairs!
I think I'll get some rides in with it set up like this before doing anything else, so far I haven't spent any money, or done anything that isn't easily reversible.  First event is mid March, though I'll need plenty of miles between now and then. If it doesn't work out it won't be the bike, even so every little helps.   

« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 08:14:36 am by PH »

PH

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2023, 12:24:45 am »
For me the attraction of the GP5000 was the very low rolling resistance quoted rather than the lower weight. The Bicycle Rolling Resistance website quotes 11.4 watts at 75 psi, this compares to 16.9 watts for a Supreme in the 37-622 size (data for the 32-622 size is members only).
They do sound good, I'll treat myself if they come back into stock at a reasonable price.
I've been looking at a couple of others that would likely be faster than Supremes, but not really by a significant amount, so I won't bother.

in4

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2023, 05:01:39 am »
Inventive solution with the Pendle. I might take another look at my Camper longflap set up with this in mind. Thanks for posting.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 05:08:32 am by in4 »

JohnR

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2023, 08:26:00 am »
I ought to leave the 550g camera at home if I'm weight counting, I bought my current phone on the basis of the camera reviews and although I don't doubt it's ability, I haven't got to grips with using it.
When I did my supported LEJOG in 2021 I started with my phone in my trouser pocket and a small proper camera in the saddlebag. I found it was so convenient to get phone from pocket, snap a photo, replace phone and get moving that after two days the camera went into the luggage carried by the van. More photos triumphed over fewer potentially better photos.