Author Topic: Newbie saying Hello  (Read 4314 times)

jimi84

Re: Newbie saying Hello
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2023, 08:47:33 am »
Hi all, I am new here and getting alot of informative information from here:)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2023, 03:45:24 pm »
Welcome, Jimi! We look forward to having you here. :)

Best, Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2023, 08:31:40 pm »
Starting to take shape now... :) Just need some decent weather to motivate me to finish the job!

If you flipped the stem so that it is upside down, that would put more spacers below the stem, fewer above.  The long uncut steerer would not look as long that way.

Photo below is a decade old, I have a 17 degree stem in a horizontal position to look less extreme.  During the past decade I have gotten older and am glad that I did not cut the steerer tube shorter back then, as with age moving the handlebar up higher feels better.

TodmordenLad

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2023, 08:10:04 pm »
Starting to take shape now... :) Just need some decent weather to motivate me to finish the job!

If you flipped the stem so that it is upside down, that would put more spacers below the stem, fewer above.  The long uncut steerer would not look as long that way.

Photo below is a decade old, I have a 17 degree stem in a horizontal position to look less extreme.  During the past decade I have gotten older and am glad that I did not cut the steerer tube shorter back then, as with age moving the handlebar up higher feels better.
Hello Mickeg,
I'll be cutting down that steerer as soon as Im happy with the overall setup - it looks truly awful!. Bars and saddle are at the same height, which is my preferred set up on my current tourer and on other bikes Ive owned.

TodmordenLad

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2023, 12:04:35 pm »
First ride this morning, still tweaking the set up so won’t be cutting the steerer or wrapping the bars quite yet. An easy build apart from the mudguards which were a pig to fit with the Thorn under fork/bridge fittings and the proximity of the 30mm tyres.
Am happy with the frame/fork combo, lively and comfortable - not as comfy as my (non-Thorn) tourer but that’s to be expected and a like-for-like comparison isn’t that meaningful with the two different wheel/tyre set ups.
Had forgotten what a brand-new Brooks feels like - brutal compared to my 15 yr old!
Pleased I went for the TRP RG957 brakes. Pricey but they are spot on in terms of quality, fit and bite.
Looking forward to getting some miles in on this one when things warm up a bit :)

PH

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2023, 06:29:21 pm »
Looking good  8)

josephjos

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2023, 08:01:07 pm »
Hi everyone! My name is Joseph, and I'm thrilled to be a part of this forum. I'm excited about the opportunity to connect with like-minded community, learn from others, and share my own knowledge and experiences.

I believe that forums like this provide an excellent platform for exchanging ideas and perspectives. I'm eager to contribute to the community in any way that I can, and I look forward to engaging in thoughtful discussions with everyone here.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2023, 03:10:47 am »
Welcome aboard, Joseph!

Nice to have you join us.

All the best,

Dan.
Thorn Cycling Forum Administrator

josephjos