Author Topic: 3000% (three thousand percent) gear range Tout Terrain  (Read 4079 times)

Andre Jute

3000% (three thousand percent) gear range Tout Terrain
« on: April 06, 2018, 02:57:00 am »
This Tout Terrain bike has a gear range of 3000% (three thousand percent) achieved by sequencing Pinion and Rohloff gearboxes with many other trick bits like Gates Carbon Drive and custom-machined shifters. Presumably a limited edition, it sold out at the beginning of the month. Check out the video of a bike that can go 80mph at a mere 90rpm cadence at the pedals, and low enough even for the Thorn forum's stump-pullers -- notice the wobbly ridepast of a tester without our own champions' awe-inspiing balance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ig-R65yHg&feature=youtu.be

(Link came to me via Andrew Muzi of Yellow Jersey in Madison, Wisconsin, a stockist of many vintage parts.)

jags

Re: 3000% (three thousand percent) gear range Tout Terrain
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 07:32:25 pm »
 8) 8) i like it.

energyman

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 07:36:52 pm »
So do I.  In the lowest gear you could peddle all day and get nowhere, just like those "spinning" things in gyms.

David Simpson

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 08:51:33 pm »
I love this quote from the project manager:

“I am sure there are a host of technical reasons why this is a really bad idea, but right now the biggest thing holding us back is what to name it.”

- DaveS

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 04:03:36 am »
I love this quote from the project manager:

“I am sure there are a host of technical reasons why this is a really bad idea, but right now the biggest thing holding us back is what to name it.”

- DaveS

Seems to me they have a bigger problem: what do you say to a customer who waves money, trying to buy one, and gets brassed off when he's told he fell for an April Fool's joke.

"Calling Dr Kildare to PR!"

David Simpson

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 06:24:36 am »
April Fool's joke? Er, yes, I saw that right away, I did... Didn't fool me. Oh no!... I'm too smart to be caught by such an obvious fake... yes... er ...

- DaveS

Andre Jute

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 07:17:04 am »
  :o