Author Topic: good to have friends.  (Read 4137 times)

jags

good to have friends.
« on: January 20, 2018, 11:57:38 am »
THANKS DAN  ;)

your buddy
Anto.

Matt2matt2002

Re: good to have friends.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 01:32:23 pm »
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you have to do is call
And I'll be there
You've got a friend

Carol King.

Was she related to Martin Luther?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

jags

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 02:42:31 pm »
what happened to yeah yeah yeah Matt ;D ;D

leftpoole

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 12:31:46 pm »
Im free  ;D

Relayer

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 09:46:16 am »
Im free  ;D

and freedom tastes of reality   8)

jags

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 04:09:27 pm »
great to have friends for sure but be honest  would you prefair to cycle solo or with  group .
both have there advantages  i suppose but me i'm becoming more a solo rider .
i gave up Saturday morning group spins , to many big ring warriors for my liking  :'(.

mind you i still get asked to go with group  but i always have a good excuse ready  ;D ;D

Anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 06:59:55 pm »
great to have friends for sure but be honest  would you prefair to cycle solo or with  group .
Day rides may be different, but I prefer solo touring after a number of unpleasant or even dangerous experiences occasionally touring with others over the last 40-odd years, Anto.

Some people I have ridden with have taken chances I never would and have so put me in danger also. Others have done things I would never consider -- like completely trashing a shared hotel room. For example, I remember coming back to my shared hotel room with groceries to find my touring partner's wet bike was on the bed where he had used the room towels and bedsheets to clean it and the drive train. When that proved insufficient, he used the curtains. Not good. Another time, I came back from filling our bottles to find a partner had thrown the food we had bought in common but he didn't prefer down the pit toilet, leaving us on very short rations for the next several days until we could reach a store off-route to resupply. Yet another time, the partner tasked with packing my tent didn't think it important to include the (expensive lightweight titanium) stakes, figuring we could save weight by using sticks available at future sites...unlikely as we left the forest for the desert.

Mind you, I used to lead tour groups professionally and that is a whole other kettle of fish, so I'm talking about my own rides here. I now much prefer going alone unless it is someone I know and trust thoroughly like a family member or longtime friend I have known in other contexts and whose reactions I can predict and trust over a wide range of circumstances. I have found a touring partnership to be like a marriage of sorts. Add in vicissitudes like weather, fatigue, lack or food or water and over-exertion and things come out of people's character you never knew existed. Far better to go it alone in my experience for the vast majority of the time.

In any case, it is unlikely I would ever again share a tent with a riding partner unless it was my future wife -- it helps to have your own space to retreat to and minimizes a host of problems due to snoring/thrashing in the night and so on -- and I would insist we each have our own complete set of gear/kit so we could part ways if necessary, even for the space of a few days to get some perspective on things or ride solo and meet up in the evening.

At the other end of the spectrum, I thoroughly enjoy taking along and mentoring new cycle-campers so long as they have their own kit and they have reported it works out well and pleasantly for them also.

mind you i still get asked to go with group  but i always have a good excuse ready
Not a bad strategy in my experience.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 07:25:05 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 07:59:04 pm »
yeah a fella could get stuck with a smuck pretty easy  ;D ;D
me and Alan get on well on tour he puts up well with my slow cycling and me being a figit  ;D ;D.
ah to be honest i reckon my days of touring are pretty much over i like to do me own thing ,if a stranger wanted to see the lanes of louth and meath no better man to show them if they turned out to be weirdo's id loose them pretty quick .

anto.

bikepacker

• Bikepacker
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 08:40:30 pm »
I am happy to do much of my riding alone as I enjoy the flexibility of being able to go where I want and change my mind if I want. When at home I often cycle with Pauline on day rides and she will occasionally tour with me but only if I stay B&B.

My touring partner of many years has had to stop because his wife cannot now be left on her own. We had some great times cycle camping throughout Europe.

I enjoyed my last tour in Ireland with Anto, it was a pity his back got so painful and he had to go home. Maybe we will do something similar again sometime.

If you want to be happy learn to be alone without being lonely.
If you want to enjoy the world see it from the saddle of a bike.
If you want to experience beauty camp alone in a spectacular place.
If you want release your anxieties cease excuses and take actions.