Author Topic: Shall I sell my Nomad?  (Read 7036 times)

Inbred

Shall I sell my Nomad?
« on: March 24, 2018, 10:55:30 pm »
Hoping all you nice people can give me some help/guidance/advice.....
About 18 months ago, I bought a lovely (used) Thorn Nomad Mk2.
To be honest, I don't know why I did this. I didn't really have any intention of undertaking any expeditions or even touring. I just wanted something different and liked the idea of having a Thorn Rohloff bike.
Since then I've done the usual day rides and general pottering about and I feel that the Nomad is being wasted on me. This and the not inconsiderable weight and general 'slowness' of the Nomad, can be a be off-putting at times.
This matter has been brought to a head recently by me purchasing a (used) Cannondale Trail 2 29er and noticing the marked differences between the two.
I've compared them by carrying out back-to-back tests and the Cannondale is not only lighter and faster, but also more "fun"!
Maybe it's time to admit my mistake, say goodbye to the Nomad and let someone else have the benefit of it and maybe use it to its true potential?
This may seem like a trivial problem, but I'm actually losing sleep over it!
Thanks in advance for your help
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 11:15:39 pm by Inbred »

in4

Re: Shall I sell my Nomad?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 11:33:40 pm »
What size is it?

PH

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 11:37:54 pm »
I'm very much of the opinion that bikes are for riding, if you're not getting the use from it, and are unlikely to do so, then sell.  Good news is they hold the value well.
I was the same with my Raven, bought mainly as a hard use commuter.  It did the job, but there was no love, it really came into it's own loaded with four panniers and camping kit,  but that was a tiny proportion of the hours I sat on it.  I did however fall in love with the Rohloff, the bike went, the hub stayed, it'll be with me as long as I'm able to cycle.

Inbred

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 11:41:11 pm »
What size is it?

It's a 540L.....why you ask?

Inbred

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 11:45:34 pm »
I'm very much of the opinion that bikes are for riding, if you're not getting the use from it, and are unlikely to do so, then sell.  Good news is they hold the value well.
I was the same with my Raven, bought mainly as a hard use commuter.  It did the job, but there was no love, it really came into it's own loaded with four panniers and camping kit,  but that was a tiny proportion of the hours I sat on it.  I did however fall in love with the Rohloff, the bike went, the hub stayed, it'll be with me as long as I'm able to cycle.

That's the problem..I like owning it (maybe snob value?), but I'm not keen on actually riding it!
To be honest, I'm not that fussed about the Rohloff either. Maybe more snobbery?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 11:48:34 pm by Inbred »

PH

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 12:27:43 am »
That's the problem..I like owning it
Then keep it :D
The other thing is what would you do with the money if you sold it? There are things I could spend it on that would give me more pleasure than owning a bike I didn't like riding.  But if it gives you more pleasure than doing something else with the money, then there's no disadvantage to keeping it.

jags

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 12:29:53 am »
hold onto it you never know the day you might decide to tour the planet and your going to have a fine machine in the nomad .

jags.

Inbred

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 12:42:41 am »
The other thing is what would you do with the money if you sold it? There are things I could spend it on that would give me more pleasure than owning a bike I didn't like riding.  But if it gives you more pleasure than doing something else with the money, then there's no disadvantage to keeping it.

What’s the point of keeping it if I don’t want to use it? Surely it’s better for it to be ridden, not just looked at?

Inbred

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 12:44:38 am »
hold onto it you never know the day you might decide to tour the planet and your going to have a fine machine in the nomad .

jags.

Sorry, but I can’t ever see that happening 😒

jags

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 12:55:00 am »
ah well no worries
put it up for sale with loads photos it should sell pretty quick.

jags.

PH

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 02:03:04 am »

What’s the point of keeping it if I don’t want to use it? Surely it’s better for it to be ridden, not just looked at?
Better for who?  It's a bike, it doesn't have any feeling (Despite what some may tell you)
So there is no better, other than what's best for you.
You don't like riding it, but you like owning it. 
You've answered the question about how much use it's going to get, that doesn't make it worth keeping.
You have to decide if you like owning it enough to keep it. 
You could put it in the attic and forget about it for a year.  if you haven't had an overwhelming desire to get it out, then sell. 

mickeg

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 03:27:55 am »
Five years from now, when you look back at the decision you are about to make, will you be happy with your decision or will you be angry with yourself for your decision?  Think about that for a few days and then decide.

Inbred

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 08:06:24 am »

Better for who?  It's a bike, it doesn't have any feeling (Despite what some may tell you)
So there is no better, other than what's best for you.
You don't like riding it, but you like owning it. 
You've answered the question about how much use it's going to get, that doesn't make it worth keeping.
You have to decide if you like owning it enough to keep it. 
You could put it in the attic and forget about it for a year.  if you haven't had an overwhelming desire to get it out, then sell.

I know this will sound weird but every time I see it hanging in my garage I feel a bit guilty for not using it. I need help 🤪

Inbred

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 08:08:57 am »
Five years from now, when you look back at the decision you are about to make, will you be happy with your decision or will you be angry with yourself for your decision?  Think about that for a few days and then decide.

That’s exactly what I’ve been thinking for weeks and I still haven’t decided!

martinf

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 08:54:57 am »
It's taking up space, and although it won't need much maintenance you should still do the annual oil change and pump up the tyres from time to time.

So if you're not using it and have no intention of using it, better to sell. An avantage of Thorn Rohloff-equipped bikes is that they hold their value fairly well, so you shouldn't lose too much financially.

If you do decide to go on a world tour in 5-10 years time, you could buy a Nomad then (assuming Thorn are still in business).