Technical > General Technical

Rohloff Cable Protection

(1/5) > >>

Templogin:
Hi Folks

After a long absence here I am back to ask for some advice.

After years of saying that she was going to buy a Thorn, my partner and I sat down to look at the latest mega brochure to find which would be the best for her daily riding and moderate weight cycle touring.  The extra short Raven looked to be the right size and spec, so we were about to order a new one when one came up on eBay, and we ended up winning it for an excellent price.  Cycle Sent managed to get it from North Wales to Shetland in 2 days at a very reasonable price.  I would recommend them.  This is the second time that we have used them, once as sender, once as recipient.

The Thorn will be replacing a Dawes Karakum that has been used almost every day, and only got any love when I gave the other half a withering look.  The frame, chain and brakes were normally black with filth, and was one of the reasons we went for a Rohloff hub.

There are two issues which are of concern.  SJS used to sell a fully enclosed chainguard, but I can't find it in the online shop, or remember the manufacturer.  Can someone please remaind me please?  I have one on my bike, but am elsewhere at the moment.  It may not fit on a frame this small though.  Secondly, the cables to the Rohloff travel along the top tube, then when they travel along the chain stays they are partially exposed.  Partially exposed brake cables were one of the things that caused problems on the Dawes.  If you have covered the exposed cables, what did you use as a solution?

Thanks a lot in advance

Andy

David Simpson:
Chainglider? Made by Hebie.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?term=chainglider

DAntrim:
Hi Andy

Your looking for the Hebie Chainglider, comes in 2 parts now rear roholff specific and front depending on tooth size (38, 42, 44, 48 I think they are)- can't say anything over covering brake cables as I use disc brakes so this is standard

Carlos

Templogin:
Thanks a lot folks.  Very useful.  My search in the online shop was for chainguard.

Matt2matt2002:
Hi Andy
Yep, the Chainglider will be your friend.
I've had one on for 3 years now.
I'd never be without it now.
I bit tricky at first to fit but there's a knack.

Just make sure you check your front and rear rings before purchasing.

Matt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version