Author Topic: Aftermarth - can frame be used by anyone?  (Read 4256 times)

tt2cycletours

Aftermarth - can frame be used by anyone?
« on: March 16, 2018, 12:57:30 pm »
Dear all,

1. Please see the picture of my now damaged Thorn Sterling, I assume it is beyond fiscal repair.  But would anyone on here want the frame for rear triangle and/or fork.  The collision was bike to bike so I am fairly sure the headtube took the force of impact and the fork looks fine... but can I reuse it or sell it.  No visible sign of any deformation but I haven't attempted to measure.

2. This did occur on a very narrow cycle lane, certainly less than a metre wide.. at a bend.  I suspect they would never build a cycle lane less than two bikes wide in Holland, so I feel likt the cycling infrustructure made this more likely to occur.  It is a stretch of cycle lane a few 100 metres long where you have to cycle on the edge to avoid the oncoming cyclist.  Was wondering if I could make some political capital out of inappropriate/dangerous cycling provision.  Also to make non-cycling drivers realise that some of the cycling work-around solutions offered by county councils are dangerous for faster riders and arguably not fit for purpose.  I feel obliged to use this cycle route on my commute, but this section is far from adequate. 

3.  Note the rear cycle light cable conduitedin ~5mm nylon, nice and neat using the hub gear routing bosses!

4. In regard to a repalcement frame, will look out for a similar replacement on here, but may have to go for a budget offering from Cube as it is only for commuting.  Did check gumtree and here for another sterling.

thanks

It is always better by bike!

jags

Re: Aftermarth - can frame be used by anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 02:49:57 pm »
it's knackered time for a new frame  :'(

anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 03:43:37 pm »
Oh dear...what a pity! :( The force of the impact was expressed just outside the butted sections of tubing. Yes, it will require replacement or repair. You might offer the frame for sale with the photo telling the full story...but I wouldn't expect to get much for it.

Fortunate it was steel, as it bent rather than shattered.

So sorry for this mishap and result and hope you weren't injured.

How did the other bike and rider fare?

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 04:59:54 pm »
it was some impact going by the damage :'(

tt2cycletours

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 06:34:03 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  Sorry, I should have shared the whole story.

The other guy, thankfully, came off better and I suspect had lesson momentum.  He grazed one of his hands quite badly, but was taken home by family.  Appears the bikes clashed frame to frame, and we both continued onwards.  I am glad, of course, the frame absorbed a significant amount of my momentum.

The kind GP who stopped at the scene,  and called the ambulance, said I was stunned (hit my face, was wearing a helmet but not tight enough and even then jaw is not protected), and so I had to go to A&E and get asked the questions.  I was OK, so soon came home.  Just got a maybe a little concussion, but not enough to forget anything, and a few scratches, bruises, neck ache and had a mild headache yesterday.  I was allowed to work from home today.

Yeah, if anyone would pay for postage they can have the frame, possibly life in the fork.

I think I may stop using this stretch of cycle path and simply cycle on the road from now on.

Oh, to cycle commute in Holland :)

Grass is always greener!

It is always better by bike!

martinf

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 08:45:31 pm »
Oh, to cycle commute in Holland :)

I think that kind of accident might actually be more likely in the Netherlands.

When there are lots of bikes on a good cycle-path network, no cars, but it is the bikes that become the menace.

I had to take particular care when I was working for 4 months on the Ile de Ré on the French Atlantic coast. Very extensive cycle path network, but lots of use. And, in this case, lots of holidaymakers not used to cycling, plus a smattering of E-bikes trying to go much faster than the flow.

My hairiest moment was on the bridge between the mainland and the island when descending at about 30 kph - a rider on an E-bike coming up the slope in the opposite lane at about the same speed as me decided to overtake a line of "ordinary" cyclists without checking my lane. Emergency stop was "just" quick enough to avoid collision.

In general, I had to adjust my speed downwards to "go with the flow" when there were a lot of bikes. Overtaking was dangerous because a lot of riders in groups would be all over both lanes when they saw there was nothing coming on the opposite lane, they didn't think of checking behind.

mickeg

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 09:56:44 pm »
Strip all the parts off the frame.  Fork, ask Thorn if they will tell you the rake on that fork, then you could try to measure what it is right now to determine if it is out of specification.  If out of spec, not sure if it could be bent back or not. 

Headset, not sure the best way to remove the cups.  Maybe there is a you tube video for that.  I know they make tools for that, but not sure what other common items can be used instead.  Or, if it is an Orbit XL, they are not very expensive at SJS so maybe not worth salvaging the cups?

Your saddle might be too narrow to be comfortable.  You might need a wider saddle if you do this.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/31/5c/64/315c6402c6b4e612e7db0ac0ad1be0db.jpg

jags

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 11:13:25 pm »
tell you what looking at the damage it make a fella think  :o
you never think something like that is going to happen ,anyway glad your here to tell the tale  ;)

anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 01:36:44 am »
I'm very glad this came out as well as it did for you and the other rider, tt2 and very sorry for the damages to your bicycles and selves.

A section of our local bike path goes through an ivy-covered woods and back in the day, it was winding and narrow...about as narrow as the one where your mishap occurred. The husband of a woman I knew was riding home from university classes at night when he collided with an unlit bike at that very spot. The other rider was drunk and largely unhurt, but the lady's husband's neck was broken and he became quadraplegic on impact.

The path was reconfigured shortly after. I don't know if it was because of this tragic accident or not, but surely the design was partly responsible for it occurring as it was unlit, too narrow, root-crossed/frost-heaved, in general poor repair and not up to the standards of the rest of the path.

Perhaps local council could look into the matter. Meantime, sounds better to switch to the street if possible.

All the best in sympathy/empathy,

Dan.

PH

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 09:12:57 am »
Flippin heck!! That's some impact, glad you didn't come off worse.
I'm a bit cautious of re-using components that have had an impact, even if the forks are straight all the joints have been stressed, they may be absolutely fine but the thought that they may not would always be in my mind.

macspud

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 03:26:43 am »
tt2cycletours, I'm not sure of  your whereabouts but if you're within travelling distance of Brighton, the Thorn Sterling posted by in4  http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12850.msg96171#msg96171 seems like a steal, especially with the extras.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:49:28 am by macspud »