Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Benefits of a lighter rim - Mercury

(1/3) > >>

PH:
The Rohloff in my disc brake Mercury came off a rim braked bike and is built on a heavyweight Sputnik rim.  It will in the near future need to be out of service to have an oil leak sorted and I'm wondering how much benefit there would be in having the rim changed at the same time.
Use is commuting, utility, lightweight camping, credit card touring, maybe some Audax, I ride quite a lot of tracks though most of them are better surfaced than some of the country lanes.  Usual tyre size 32 or 35mm, I can't see me using wider or narrower. I'm no lightweight (95 kg) and not a particularly gentle rider.  The Sputnik was chosen for it's longevity and has served me well, though with the disc brake that extra thick braking surface isn't needed.
If I do change - any recommendations?  I'd be tempted to use a rim that could used with a rim brake, both for the versatility and also as a better match for the front (Grizzly) though I'm open to persuasion.
Thanks

jags:
Mavic open pro are great i's what i use on my audax .

anto

mickeg:
If I recall correctly, Mercury is 700c.

Last spring when I built up my Titanium bike that has rim brake on front and disc on rear, I used Velocity Dyad on both front and rear.  This bike is a derailleur bike, I used 32 spoke front and 36 rear.  Velocity would not have the special drilling that Ryde has for a Rohloff wheel however, not sure if that is a concern or not for you.
http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/dyad-622

They have worked quite well for me.  I mostly ride that bike without a load on it, but I did a five day loaded tour with four panniers.  I weigh about 80 kg.  I have only used 37mm tires so far, but might try some 32mm tires this year.

PH:
Thanks both.
Yes Open pros are nice, I've had them on an Audax bike and they were perfect with 28mm tyres, I'm not sure I'd want to go much wider so probably not the best choice for this bike.
The Velocity rims look interesting, does the higher profile make any difference? 
I should have added that if I do this it'll be by SJS, so the choice will be something from what they stock.
As much as the choice of rim, I'm trying to convince myself how much difference a 200g lighter rim will make, one day telling myself it'll make a huge difference, the next that I probably won't notice...
Of course if I was starting from scratch it'd be a no brainer, I wouldn't have chosen a sputnik, so maybe it should be my aim to get this bike to what it would have been if I had.

jags:
you might as well go as light as possible make cycling easier ;)
i remember i got the schwalble marathon plus wire bead tyres  in the post i could have cried  :'( :'( they weighed a ton i soon got rid of them weigh matters  for us cyclists  lighter the better  imho.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version