Author Topic: Middlesbrough to Melbourne  (Read 18034 times)

mike61yorkie

Middlesbrough to Melbourne
« on: March 14, 2018, 07:53:16 am »
Hi everyone
I set off from Middlesbrough, England on the 7th March 2018 with the plan to cycle to Australia!  I’m a total newbie to the world of cycle touring and will be making plenty of mistakes along the way, but hopefully having plenty of fun.
I purchased a Thorn Nomad for the trip and after only a hundred miles I’m congratulating myself for choosing such a brilliant bike. I know it’s a bit of a tank, but it just ‘feels ‘ so capable and nothing will stop it!
I’m not particularly very techno/social media savvy, so my daughter has set up a Facebook page ‘Where’s Dools?’ , where I will post regular updates along the way.
I’m looking forward to being part of the Thorn community, so any tips and advice would be greatly welcomed .   Cheers Mike

Repeat

Re: Middlesbrough to Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 11:09:35 am »
Great stuff - living the dream (or at least my dream). What route are you planning on taking?

PH

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 12:08:03 pm »
Sounds like a great trip, but I can't find the facebook page (Though that may be my lack of social media savvy...)

jags

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 12:52:21 pm »
well fair play to you that's gonna be some adventure way beyond anything i'd do on a bike  8)

advice have a blast dont come home with a pocket full of money  ;)

anto. .

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 05:27:29 pm »
I’m looking forward to being part of the Thorn community, so any tips and advice would be greatly welcomed
We're surely glad to have you, Mike; welcome aboard!

Folks here are good about helping with questions, and don't forget the archives! Many topics have been covered before, so using the Forum search function may provide answers even more quickly than floating a question. These tips may prove helpful:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4390.0

Take care and happy times on your big tour.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 05:29:02 pm by Danneaux »

John Saxby

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 04:34:21 am »
Great stuff, Mike, and a welcome and my best wishes for your adventure!

You've chosen the bike to take you Down Unda, and you've come to a forum full of helpful and informed people -- the place for all things Thorn-mit-Rohloff.

A suggestion: try to time the Australian stage of your journey for the cooler part of the year, say May-Sept. It can get dangerously hot in Oz. My cycling experience there is limited to SE Queensland and NE New South Wales, but there are several 'Strayans in the forum who can give you detailed advice.

Look forward to reading your stories and seeing your photos.

Cheers,  John

in4

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 08:43:54 am »
What a truly exciting adventure to set out upon. I shall be following this one with more than a passive interest.
The tropical north of Australia is a wonderful place but from around September to circa. March its the cyclone season. This brings increasing humidity through until January then high rainfall from thereon. It can be tiring cycling and roads do close due to flooding. You'll not go thirsty though and warm showers will keep you clean at regular intervals!
PM for more info if you wish.

energyman

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 03:33:29 pm »
Best wishes and enjoy the ride.
Please keep us posted.

mike61yorkie

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 08:04:30 am »
Thank you all kindly for your words of advice and encouragement, it’s greatly appreciated.
I’ve only made  it to Matlock Bath so far, just pottering down visiting friends along the way and trying to keep out of the snow and easterly winds!
I’ve tried to find the link to my Facebook page Where’s Dools?   So that I could share my page, but unfortunately I can’t find/see it!
I’m in total awe of my Thorn Nomad bike, it seems totally capable in any situation!

mike61yorkie

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 08:22:03 am »
Ps.  I can’t find the Facebook link, but I do have a YouTube link  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZhTIRlIgG7enQl3OKD_GJA

Which I hope works 😬

jags

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 11:25:38 am »
Im confused is this video mikes start of the journey,I subscribed to the channel god start pity about miserable weather.

PH

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 12:07:03 pm »

I’ve only made  it to Matlock Bath so far,
You're talking like a World traveller already, remember that to most people Middlesbrough to Matlock is a huge distance on a bike!!
I'm just down the road in Derby, hope you weren't riding too far yesterday, I was out for an hour and it was bitter.
You could ride another 30 miles to the Derbyshire Melbourne and either claim the mission complete, or have ridden Melbourne to Melbourne.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne,_Derbyshire

mike61yorkie

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 01:25:01 pm »
Haha. I had no idea there was a Melbourne in Derbyshire!
I’m estimating it will take me two years to get to ‘the other’ Melbourne in Australia.
Heading East towards Stamford tomorrow

mike61yorkie

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 03:53:17 pm »
Thanks to my daughter...... my Facebook link is
https://m.facebook.com/Wheres-Dools-2000063056702458/

geocycle

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 05:56:07 pm »
Haha. I had no idea there was a Melbourne in Derbyshire!
I’m estimating it will take me two years to get to ‘the other’ Melbourne in Australia.
Heading East towards Stamford tomorrow

You also cycled passed Melbourne in Yorkshire, just SE of York! Have a great trip.