Community > Non-Thorn Related

26 Inch Wheel Bikes

(1/2) > >>

energyman:
One of the reasons I love my RST is that it is easy to get on or off with or without bags on.
I am finding increasing difficulty in getting on & off on my 700 wheel bikes. (No comments re "getting ones leg over please !)
There are not many adult bikes with 26 inch wheels.
Anyone know of a UK available 26" wheeler.  I can't find one so far.

PH:
What sort of bike are you looking for?
Also consider the very compact frames with long seatposts, these will probably have more stand over clearance than a 26" wheel bike with a horizontal top tube.  I have a folder and one of the (Few) nice things about it is being able to step through it. If I were to become less flexible in older age, a good quality folder would probably be worth looking into.  I did have an Airnimal Joey that fits the bill well, though it sat unused for a couple of years and I replaced it with the current easier to fold but not as nice to ride folder - and have regretted it since... 

martinf:

--- Quote from: energyman on March 11, 2018, 12:19:49 pm ---There are not many adult bikes with 26 inch wheels.

--- End quote ---

Is this an error for 20" or 24"?

There are lots of UK bikes with 26" wheels - Thorn Raven, Thorn Nomad, Thorn Sherpa,  etc. Most of these have wide tyres.

But not a lot of lightweight derailleur bikes AFAIK (style Thorn Audax), most of these come in 700C. 

martinf:

--- Quote from: energyman on March 11, 2018, 12:19:49 pm ---I am finding increasing difficulty in getting on & off on my 700 wheel bikes.

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure it's all that much to do with wheel size, more to do with frame geometry.

My utility bike Thorn Raven Tour 612S frame is harder to mount/dismount than my tourer (also Thorn Raven Tour but 587S frame). Both are easier than my old 61 cm 700C tourer from 1977, I think mainly because the latter has a horizontal top tube rather than the currently fashionable sloped geometry.

So a smaller frame with longer seatpost could be a solution.

Easiest bikes to mount are folders and frames aimed at lady riders (step through, mixte), for example my wife's bike, which has a very low stepover height, first picture in the thread below:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11436.msg82862#msg82862

Thorn's current model step-through 420ST models are a compromise between stepover height and maintaining frame rigidity for touring.

I'm currently buiding up one of Thorn's older 390ST frames for use as a visitor bike, this has a lower stepover height than the 420ST but is less rigid, so would not be so good for loaded touring.

I don't yet have problems mounting/dismounting. But when I do I could requisition the 390ST, and transfer the Rohloff from my Raven Tour. 

energyman:
My choice of bike is a Hybrid with hub gears.  Hopefully in Al or Ti but not C.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version