Author Topic: stormy weather folks.  (Read 5840 times)

jags

stormy weather folks.
« on: March 01, 2018, 12:15:19 pm »
Lads whats the weather like in your neck of the wood's.
Man the storm here is unreal the country is on red alert, come 4 o clock  they say we are going to be in lockdown  -8 in place and im on the north east coast so we are going to get the worst of it,
ah well batten down the hatches . :'( :'(

Anto

oh don't forget to feed the birds animals or anyone else who needs feeding.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: stormy weather folks.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 12:19:52 pm »
The pictures from your neck of the woods are stunning, Anto. Take care and be safe.
oh don't forget to feed the birds animals or anyone else who needs feeding
:) A good reminder.
Lads whats the weather like in your neck of the wood's
Stormy and unsettled here, with temps varying; winter never happened as scheduled and spring seems caught in limbo. The trees are trying to bud and flower, but nighttime temps are occasionally dipping down to -5C/22F or so, but mostly around freezing. Snow is on the hills 'round town, but except for a light dusting we seem to have missed it for now on the Valley floor.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 04:05:11 pm »
Dan we have been warned to be indoors by 4 o clock severe blizzard hitting us at that time so im away out for a walk as soon as it hits  8) 8).
i'll send u a few photos.

anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 04:17:01 pm »
Yikes, Anto.  :o

32 inches of snow fell here the other day...we're still digging out. 

Photographic proof below! ;) ;D [In reality, only a light dusting of now...this slid off the car hood when it got warmer]
-----
Stay safe on that walk, Anto. It is a lot more work walking in the cold and snow and you have to get home again.

All the best,

Dan.

bikepacker

• Bikepacker
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 04:26:29 pm »
Man the storm here is unreal the country is on red alert, come 4 o clock  they say we are going to be in lockdown  -8 in place and im on the north east coast so we are going to get the worst of it,

Anto

Rode over to Pershore this morning to get some fat balls for the birds. I went there because it is easterly so would have the wind behind me on the return. It took well over an hour to do the 7 miles there but got back in half that time.
If you want to be happy learn to be alone without being lonely.
If you want to enjoy the world see it from the saddle of a bike.
If you want to experience beauty camp alone in a spectacular place.
If you want release your anxieties cease excuses and take actions.

Donerol

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 06:43:28 pm »
My husband's mountain bike just before setting off to get some supplies this afternoon. It's not leaning against the wall, just standing up by itself in the snow.

jags

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 09:18:07 pm »

Anto

Rode over to Pershore this morning to get some fat balls for the birds. I went there because it is easterly so would have the wind behind me on the return. It took well over an hour to do the 7 miles there but got back in half that time.

jags

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 09:19:42 pm »
Alan it's bad here no way a fella could ride a bike ,well certainly not this fella. :o
you still got that horse.

bikepacker

• Bikepacker
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 10:10:17 pm »
Get some spikey tyres on your bike and get out there after a while you will begin to enjoy it. No horse is long gone, after Philippa broke her back coming off him she could never ride again so he was sold.

Because of a dad's pride in his daughter have a look at this link: https://titaniumpip.wordpress.com/

John Saxby

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 10:17:35 pm »
Batten down the hatches, lads--making sure that there's enough space for ventilation--and enjoy your books/tea'n'whisky/whatever.

It's bizarre and apocalyptic times we live in, with Arctic temps way, waaay above normal: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/feb/27/arctic-warming-scientists-alarmed-by-crazy-temperature-rises

Checking the 3-month outlook for spring and early summer in Canada, I see the only "warmer than usual" splash of red is in Nunavut, the Eastern Arctic territory west of Greenland. WTF??

Spooky stuff -- the winter sea ice gets thinner and thinner, and the summer sea ice diminishes each year. How long before the N Pole is open in summer?

Meanwhile, the forecast for the Gold Coast next week is rain, 5 days of it, but in manageable quantities, so that's all a Good Thing, even if it means little or no cycling.

Interesting side-effect: All-of-a-sudden, the world's doing what Canajans have always done -- talking incessantly about the weather. Mind you, "hotnufurya?" or "coldnufurya?", the standard Canajan small-talk openers, don't really match the biblical things that are going on.

And in ten days time, we pack our bags and my bike to return to The Great White North the land of rain and freezing rain.

Andre Jute

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 10:31:03 pm »
Where I live is supposed to be 2ºC warmer than the rest of the country. It's why we came here; the other reason was one of the two best schools in the country. The school was certainly OK. As for the 2ºC, they're not much consolation on the wrong side of 0ºC. The pavements are lethal, and people are walking in the streets, which have at least been salted. The chances of me taking a steel bike with a heritage paint job onto salted roads are less than nil.

I hope my pets make it, a family of foxes and a family of hedgehogs. But they live behind the stables and the icy cobblestones are lethal for bipeds. Not depressing snow and ice photos:
http://coolmainpress.com/ajwriting/hungry-hedgehog-comes-out-in-daylight-photos/
http://coolmainpress.com/ajwriting/at-the-sign-of-the-hedgehog/
http://coolmainpress.com/ajwriting/1140/

jags

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 10:46:53 pm »
Get some spikey tyres on your bike and get out there after a while you will begin to enjoy it. No horse is long gone, after Philippa broke her back coming off him she could never ride again so he was sold.

Because of a dad's pride in his daughter have a look at this link: https://titaniumpip.wordpress.com/
ah yes i remember you telling me that,
well she has good blood in her like mam and dad .
no i wont be getting spikes  ill just keep walking  loads time for cycling when weather picks up. ;)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 11:20:44 am by jags »

jags

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 11:29:19 am »
looks like we are finished with that feckin snow ,it's nice for a day or too but after that it's gets very annoying ,mind you it's bitter cold and miserable gray sky you wouldn't put a shovel out on a day like this.(if you had a shovel) ;)
anyway all the food gone so it's up to local supermarket to stock up again ,
i call this store the 16 euro store because you can never get out of it without spending 16 euro or a hell of a lot more ,
i might buy few tins cat food for my 5 wild cats that live under the neighbour decking ,i'm fed up giving them my tins of salmon and   tuna best fed cats in the estate.
anyway lads and lassies stay safe out there  hope this weather picks up real soon.

anto.

bikerta

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 02:17:40 pm »
Even had 6" plus of snow down here in Dorset during the blizzards on Thursday, a rarity for us to get snow at all, let alone in that quantity. One of our biggest problems though was the freezing rain we had overnight. Whole of the rear wall and windows of our house covered in a thick layer of ice, windows looked like we had put in frosted glass. This thick layer of ice was also on the top of the snow and more hazardous on the roads where the wind had blown the snow away. Travel was impossible.

My eldest had spent previous week in Iceland with much warmer temperatures only to return to Bristol on Thursday in the middle of the storm. Took him 3 hours to get from Iceland to UK and nearly 48 hours to travel the 30 miles or so home.   :o

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 02:22:43 pm by bikerta »

bikepacker

• Bikepacker
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 02:56:53 pm »
Got out for a 34 mile ride today, first time out on bike since Thursday. Farmer Brown yesterday evening kindly cleared a path out of our little lane with his JCB.

Sustrans route 45 runs across the top of our common just up the lane from me. This was it on Friday:

Anto thanks for the photo, happy times.