Author Topic: Gumtree: Thorn Nomad 590M + SON hub + panniers £2450  (Read 3522 times)

humedavid

Gumtree: Thorn Nomad 590M + SON hub + panniers £2450
« on: February 27, 2018, 09:38:46 pm »

mickeg

Re: Gumtree: Thorn Nomad 590M + SON hub + panniers £2450
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 11:04:20 pm »
Why would anyone set up the rear brakes with separate levers?  You can only use two of the three brakes at any one time.  The only bikes I am aware of that run two rear brakes are tandems.  I have never had to worry about overheating brakes on any of my bikes.  Going do a mountain in Glacier National Park, I stopped twice to check how hot the rims were.  Stopped and waited for about 10 minutes one of those two times to let the rims cool.  But that was the only time.

David Simpson

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 12:58:10 am »
Yes, that is very odd. I'm trying to figure out which lever controls which brake. That extra lever is for one of the rear brakes, and is on the left bar. Is the other level on the left bar for the other rear brake, or for the front brake? In the former case, the left hand would choose between one of the rear brakes and the right hand would operate the front brake -- one hand for the front and one for the rear, like usual. In the latter case, the right hand would operate the other rear brake, so both hands could be operating rear brakes, and no front brake. Very unusual. I suspect it is the former arrangement.

The only reason that I can think of is for wet weather, when the disc brake may work better than the rim brake. But then why not just have a disc brake on the rear?

I'm curious what problem this arrangement was intended to fix, and whether it actually fixed it.

- DaveS

martinf

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 07:09:45 am »
It is possible to run two brakes off one lever, the tandem I had in the 1980's-1990's came with this arrangement. I can't remember if the dual lever operated the rear drum and rear cantilever or the front and rear cantilever.

I didn't like this arrangement, so I fitted a rachet thumbshifter to control the drum brake, which I used as a drag brake on long descents. Once optimised with better brake pads, the cantilevers (old style Mafacs) were quite sufficient to stop the tandem quickly on their own.

The only reason I can see to use two rear brakes on a solo would be to ease brake heating on mountain descents. But I have found this to be a rare issue with 26" wheel bikes. I did stop once or twice on steep twisty descents in the Picos d'Europa, but most roads had enough visibility so that I could just let air resistance slow the bike, with occasional touches on the brakes to slow the bike a bit for hairpin bends.

Rim heating was an issue for me on small-wheel bikes with narrow tyres like Bromptons and Moultons. On some Devon hills (twisty descents in narrow lanes with little visibility) I would often stop halfway down and either wait 5-10 minutes or dunk the rims in puddles to cool them.

Donerol

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 12:19:45 pm »
We had both a rim and a disc brake on our tandem - as stoker I had the rear rim brake lever and only operated it under instructions. We didn't need it very often but it did come in useful on narrow twisty descents (Picos, Devon, Scotland...) when the disc could overheat. That was nearly 40 years ago though and discs are probably better now. Ours was the one on the left:

It also squealed like a double-decker bus - very useful sometimes!

Stitch01

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 08:22:35 pm »
Hi, I’m new to Thorn and wondered if this bike is good value for money? How much would this set up cost new? Do many people opt for the drop bars on the nomad? Thanks in advance.

mickeg

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 11:43:51 pm »
Hi, I’m new to Thorn and wondered if this bike is good value for money? How much would this set up cost new? Do many people opt for the drop bars on the nomad? Thanks in advance.

I am not going to speculate on value, I am not in the UK and have no idea what values and alternatives are.

Nomad is a heavy duty bike, designed to carry a heavy load.  I think this size is rated to carry up to about 60 kg in addition to the weight of the rider.  But that weight capacity comes at a price, the bike itself is rather heavy. 

This one is the same size as mine.

I have drop bars on mine and I prefer drop bars.  There is a lot of regional variation, it is unusual where I am (USA) to see a touring bike without drop bars, but I think more common to see upright bars in continental Europe.  For this model, Thorn recommends against drop bars, not really sure why.  I suspect that they are thinking that nobody is going to go fast on that heavy of a bike while carrying a heavy load, but I have pushed into some pretty strong headwinds where I was really glad to have the drop bars.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 06:41:35 pm »
For this model, Thorn recommends against drop bars, not really sure why.
When I spoke with Andy Blance about setting up my Nomad, he indicated it was because the Nomad is only available in a Medium (M) or Long (L) top tube...and therefore too long for many to use with drop handlebars, which have some forward throw of their own compared to straight handlebars. On their other bikes, Thorn offers a Short (S) top tube meant to be paired with drop handlebars.

I fitted compact drop handlebars to my Nomad; combined with a short (60mm) stem, the fit (reach to the brake hoods) duplicates that of my other bikes and is very comfortable for me with no handling issues.

Best,

Dan.