Author Topic: Carradice Shopper  (Read 26004 times)

PH

Re: Carradice Shopper
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 02:34:39 pm »
£140 a pair, good grief, I'd want a lifetimes shopping delivered for that.
I'm lucky that I get to walk to most of the shops I use, when I ride to the farm shop I like to put the fruit and veg straight into the bag to save on disposable packaging, IMO the wipe clean Ortliebs are better for this.
£112.98 delivered from sjs. I have pair of the small carradice carradrys which are the equivalents to the ortliebs and if you talking about wiping the inside clean then they are no better than the cotton duck.
I have products from Carradice, Ortlieb and Vaude, so no brand loyalty from me.  Neither am I one to critisise the way anyone spends their money, their choices will be based on criteria likely different to mine  But I can't imagine anyone who's cleaned muck out of the smooth plastic Ortliebs and the woven fabric Carradice would consider it comparable. 
They will of course last a lifetime unlike the ortliebs.
The Ortiebs in the picture of my bike in another thread are 19 years old and show no signs that they won't outlast me. They've needed a couple of repairs as have my Carradice saddlebags.
By the way how much are the ortilebs?
The comparable ones are probably the City Rollers, list price £85 a pair and usually findable around £70

I'm unlikely to ever buy shopping specific panniers, I'll just use what I have which was chosen for different purposes.  if I did I'd see no advantage in spending that sort of money, I'd be much more likely to go for something like the ex Royal Mail ones knocking about for around £20 a pair, though they need a bit of modification to fit most racks.
https://forcesuniformandkit.co.uk/products/ex-royal-mail-bike-pannier-bag-set-18

I spent a week in Amsterdam last month, where shopping by bike is considered far more normal than here in the UK.  Out of the many bikes I saw carrying shopping I doubt one of them had expensive panniers, indeed it was more common to see people carrying musical instruments
Cello by Paul, on Flickr

sd

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 11:51:22 pm »
I have never had problem cleaning the inside of Carradice super c. A quick wipe over is all they need after removing 5 or more shot pheasants from each pannier. Now I will be able to get more in and the dog won't have to share her trailer with any. I sometimes think the temptation might get the better of her.
The royal mail ones look like a pile of shite. Why are they using a motorbike? Is that what they were attached to originally?

"The Ortiebs in the picture of my bike in another thread are 19 years old and show no signs that they won't outlast me." I have read many blogs where people have said their Ortielebs have worn out or are easily damaged specially after fall. As they are generally long distance tourer and may have used their panniers more than you.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:53:21 pm by sd »

PH

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 02:42:22 am »
When I posted that the PVC material of an Ortlieb bag was easier to clean than the woven fabric of a Carradice, I had no idea it would be controversial, I thought I was stating the obvious, Carradice themselves say muddy stains need scrubbing with a nailbrush.  I was of course talking from the experience as a user of both, rather than relying on something I'd read.
The royal mail ones look like a pile of shite
Beauty is in the eye of the holder, the quality shouldn't be in dispute they were made by Carradice! They're on a motorbike because that's what they were intended for, as I said they need some modification to fit most racks, but for £20... The bike version were a bit dearer (Though part of that was a charity donation) and appear to be sold out
https://www.carradice.co.uk/ranges/carradry/ex-post-office-panniers

As they are generally long distance tourer and may have used their panniers more than you.
and they may not, you have absolutely no idea how much use my panniers have had.

John Saxby

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 11:14:48 am »
Easy, guys, easy -- we're arguing about panniers and their suitability for shopping and/or durability?? There are differences and there are horses for courses, to be sure, and I haven't even mentioned my Arkels, built just after the war... (That would be 1812-14.)  ;)

But surely these are first-world problems, as I've seen bedframes carried on Flying Pigeons, fastened with old inner tubes tied to rear racks, with nary a quibble to be heard (one that I could readily understand, anyway), or a pannier in sight.

À chacun son goût, as they say in Cornwall.

Cheers,  John

Donerol

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 12:36:46 pm »
Cello by Paul, on Flickr

That's not a cellos - it's a double bass!  At least it is in a case, unlike this one:

:o

sd

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 11:36:22 pm »
"I spent a week in Amsterdam last month, where shopping by bike is considered far more normal than here in the UK.  Out of the many bikes I saw carrying shopping I doubt one of them had expensive panniers, indeed it was more common to see people carrying musical instruments"
So in Amsterdam they are more likely to be transporting musical instruments by bike than shopping?

sd

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 11:44:26 pm »
  "Neither am I one to critisise the way anyone spends their money,"
Seriously?
"£140 a pair, good grief, I'd want a lifetimes shopping delivered for that." and
"If I did I'd see no advantage in spending that sort of money,"
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 11:46:59 pm by sd »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2018, 02:22:58 am »
I put my Shopper bag on my Nomad today and rode out to fetch some root beer - a dozen 12 oz bottles and then a big bag of coffee beans that had a good price. Maybe 15 pounds hanging off one side of the bike, so a significant imbalance. I like to ride no hands a bit out on the country roads, to stretch my shoulders and get the blood moving around. I found it pretty much as easy with the loaded Shopper as without. Bicycle dynamics is quite a mystery!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1430790383

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2018, 04:10:00 am »
SD, PH; Gentlemen,

Time to take the tenor of your comments on luggage down a notch as they are coming close to personal attacks on each other rather than a discussion of panniers and their merits.

I'm not singling out one of you over the other, but I am cautioning both before things become more heated and show an "obvious disregard for the interests of the community... anti community spirit" in violation of the Forum Guidelines: http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=26.0

Remember the old saying, "You don't have to attend every argument you're invited to".

Best,

Dan.

Thorn Cycling Forum Adminstrator

PH

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2018, 10:44:13 am »
SD, PH; Gentlemen,

Time to take the tenor of your comments on luggage down a notch as they are coming close to personal attacks on each other rather than a discussion of panniers and their merits.
Best,

Dan.

Thorn Cycling Forum Adminstrator
Dan, I don't believe there is anything I have written that could be construed as a personal attack and am offended by your comment that it could. I suggest you withdraw it or show an example of anything that has not been on the subject or in any way breaches the forum guidelines.
Paul

jags

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2018, 11:09:15 am »
that sounds like fighting talk to me paul  ;D ;D ;D
just joking  .

anto.

macspud

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2018, 03:29:05 pm »
"I spent a week in Amsterdam last month, where shopping by bike is considered far more normal than here in the UK.  Out of the many bikes I saw carrying shopping I doubt one of them had expensive panniers, indeed it was more common to see people carrying musical instruments"
So in Amsterdam they are more likely to be transporting musical instruments by bike than shopping?

Oh, I thought PH meant, "you are more likely to see people carrying musical instruments than using expensive panniers to carry shopping."  :)

"You don't have to attend every argument you're invited to", love it, class, as anto'd say. Lol. 

jags

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2018, 04:02:32 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D could be worse  you could have no bread or milk and all the feckin shops are closed  because of this beast from the east.

anto.

sd

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2018, 10:33:03 am »
;D ;D ;D could be worse  you could have no bread or milk and all the feckin shops are closed  because of this beast from the east.

anto.
Two chest freezers large one for me medium for the dog. Also an under counter one which you can't open if electric goes off. I use long life milk for tea and smoothies (I keep well stocked up) and the pasturised full fat milk from the milkman for coffee.....he has let me down! Alas no potatoes.
 anto you will never be a prepper!!
PS 50+ bottles of cider in the garage and neighbor just dropped off 2 kilos of potatoes. I am now ready for a minor ice age. Be prepared anto!!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 11:11:58 am by sd »

sd

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2018, 10:56:49 am »

Oh, I thought PH meant, "you are more likely to see people carrying musical instruments than using expensive panniers to carry shopping."  :)

"You don't have to attend every argument you're invited to", love it, class, as anto'd say. Lol.
No she meant there were more people carrying musical instruments than shopping,  as she didn't think anyone used expensive panniers Or to be more precise that's what she wrote. Anyway I used a question mark.