Author Topic: Thorn Raven Tour 420ST for sale  (Read 6383 times)

BrianW

Thorn Raven Tour 420ST for sale
« on: February 22, 2018, 12:00:32 pm »
Advance notice that I'll be selling my wife's bike as soon as I get can photos organised.
It's a Raven Tour 420ST with Rolhoff speedhub, full Shimano XTR brake set, Rigid Andra ceramic rims and Thorn comfort bar.
It's fitted with Tubus Cosmo stainless steel rear rack and Thorn low rider front rack.
It has only done about 2000 miles and the frame has been Bikeshield protected in key wear areas from new.
Not the most popular frame style but a chance for anyone between 5' 2" and 5' 10" to buy a great near-new bike.

humedavid

Re: Thorn Raven Tour 420ST for sale
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 12:34:48 pm »
Is it for free? I'll take it then?  ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 11:14:59 pm »
A very practical style not only for lady commuters in skirts, but also for gentlemen reaching an age where kicking-off-and-leg-over becomes undignified or even dangerous.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 11:40:03 pm »
Do tell us where it is, too! I dream about a bike like that for my wife!

BrianW

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 12:02:04 pm »
We are in the UK, near Inverness.

We bought the bike new from Thorn and thought we would give Thorn enthusiasts first crack at buying it used, so it's not advertised elsewhere yet.
I spec'd it the same as my own bike to simplify maintenance with a few minor tweaks to suit my wife - overkill for actual needs but don't regret that.

Main use has been 20 Scottish island camping tour and a "Barra to the Butt" tour plus local weekend trips.

The bike is set up for a smaller rider - Ergon GP1 Rohloff compatible small grips and 165mm Thorn cranks but the steerer tube is still full height. I have just refitted the original (unused) ladies Thorn saddle and seat post and transferred the ones she actually used to her new ebike.

The gearing is set low with 40T chainring and 17T sprocket - from memory that's a range of about 16.5 to 90 inch.

I have just serviced the bike including:

- new KMC X1 chain
- reversed  chainring and sprocket so transmission will run as new
- oil change
- new Swissstop blue blocks on rear.

The bike is also fitted with a Hebie bipod stand fitted to Hebie backplate with tubes well protected.

It has always been transported on a Pendle wheel-support bike rack so has suffered no in-transit frame damage.

One correction to earlier post - the rims are Rigid Grizzly CSS, NOT Rigid Andra as stated.

I'm struggling with a new camera to get representative photos but hope to manage that by early next week. I would hope to put a value on it around the same time.

I attach one old photo meantime for those who don't know what a 420ST looks like.

rankamateur

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 03:42:10 pm »
Sounds interesting. It could still be adapted for a taller rider I presume? And could it be sent or would it be collection only?

BrianW

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 06:35:48 pm »
The Thorn Mega Brochure shows the 420ST set up for both a 5' 2" rider and a 5' 10" rider.

I think a rider nearer the top end of this range would need a longer seat post than that presently fitted. The 165mm cranks are only 5mm less than the norm and you wouldn't notice the difference. The small Ergon grips would suit most women - a man might notice they were a bit small on long rides. Present set up of comfort bar on 100mm stem could have a straight bar fitted to extend reach if necessary. Anyone taller than 5" 10" should probably be considering a different bike. A male rider would want to change the saddle obviously.

Incidentally, the tyres are Marathon Dureme 50 x 559 and checking again the rims ARE Rigid Andra CSS, not Grizzlies - sorry about that.

I haven't got as far as considering hand over of the bike but I don't see any particular reason why it couldn't be sent to buyer (in the UK at least).

rankamateur

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 03:06:38 pm »
I might be interested in this. Will you be putting the bike up for sale on Ebay? Or should we watch this space?

BrianW

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 03:17:13 pm »
I was going to say "watch this space" but I can't get photos to post to board. I think the file size is too big at 4MB per photo.

If you send me a PM with your email address I should be able to send them direct you.

sd

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 11:07:25 pm »
A very practical style not only for lady commuters in skirts, but also for gentlemen reaching an age where kicking-off-and-leg-over becomes undignified or even dangerous.
Also for people who overload their bikes. I reckon by not having to lean the bike over it is considerably easier to mount. The latter statement is not evidence based....as I have never owned a step through bike. I notice though that when the rear of my bike is heavily laden and the front is unladen the front wheel has tendency to lift of the ground. I assume with a step through there is no need to lean the bike over??

martinf

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 07:27:22 am »
Also for people who overload their bikes. I reckon by not having to lean the bike over it is considerably easier to mount. The latter statement is not evidence based....as I have never owned a step through bike. I notice though that when the rear of my bike is heavily laden and the front is unladen the front wheel has tendency to lift of the ground. I assume with a step through there is no need to lean the bike over??

No need to lean the bike over, but when I ride a step through I generally forget and do the same as with my bikes with top tubes.

Most step through bikes aren't very good with a heavy load. When carrying full rear panniers on the two step throughs that I ride occasionally (wife's bike for tests, visitor bike) I can feel a sort of "shimmy", this is with loads of 10-15 kg, so far less than my usual shopping load or long distance touring load with my own Thorn Raven Tours. But Thorn's 420ST design is more rigid than most step throughs, at the cost of a higher step through height.

I've just ordered one of the older Thorn 390S frames to replace the oldest of my visitor bikes on the island where we have a flat. The 390S is a bit smaller than the 420ST and has a lower step through height, so should be more suitable for my wife and for short visitors. I will probably be able to set it up so that I can also ride it myself for medium/short distances.

Desalination

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 08:58:35 am »
I too am interested due to my standover height requiring a step-through. Have been on a long hunt for a suitable touring bike. Esp now - coming out of a period of illness, for something to help me get back to health. The short cranks and general setup sound very promising. I’ve only registered today despite having lurked for years+ but have an eBay account of 11 years’ standing in case that acts as some sort of reference. I shall PM you now.

BrianW

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 09:20:47 pm »
General photo of the bike - 1 of 3

BrianW

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 09:22:33 pm »
General photo of the bike 2 of 3.

BrianW

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 09:23:28 pm »
General photo of the bike 3 of 3.