Author Topic: AVID Ultimate reversible Noodle  (Read 7459 times)

freddered

Re: AVID Ultimate reversible Noodle
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2007, 09:50:41 pm »
I have fitted mine now.

First thoughts...they look and feel superb (they should do at nearly £50 a pair).

Rear Wheel braking is much better, even on old cables.

Front Braking is improved, silky smooth now.  I think mainly due to much better cable routing.

However, front brake HOWLS like a banshee.  I guess I need to toe it in.

Worth it to make cable routing neater I think.

freddered

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 10:00:40 pm »
Fitted cheap ASDA (Bell) blocks and squealing stopped.  Brakes are smoother, more powerful, less 'stiction' and make the cabling less messy (shorter cable to front brake and rear cable drops straight into noodle at rear without cross-over).  Expensive but worth it (in my opinion)

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 12:45:54 pm »
Hi freddered,

Sorry for the late reply

I also had a problem with front brake squeal (Ultimates, Koolstop salmon, Ceramic 717) I fitted a carbon brake booster, which help enormously.

NB this is on the RST WITHOUT the twin plate forks
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 12:47:11 pm by stutho »

freddered

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 10:44:28 pm »
The Avid blocks had replaceable pads and the bolt was 'floating' so I suspect there was room for some play.  Basically over-complex for something I prefer to be as simple as possible.

All is well now

geocycle

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 09:30:51 am »
I've now finished my brake overhaul using xtr cables and levers with the avid ultimates.  The whole set up is really very good indeed.  I'm pleased I did the upgrade and it is noticeably slicker than the standard shimano package.  Is it worth the money -still not really sure!  I still feel that set up is by far the most most important element with v-brakes.  

Sorry you had the problem with the screeching fred, but glad you've now solved it.  I must have been lucky that the avid rim wrangler pads took to my CR18 rims first time.  They've been completely silent in all conditions.