Author Topic: sleeping mats  (Read 12328 times)

dogcart

Re: sleeping mats
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2018, 10:19:50 pm »
Worth having a look at the ones by Alpkit,they make some excellent stuff ;https://www.alpkit.com/featured/sleeping-mats

I would agree, Alpkit sell some excellent mats at a very good price. Ive used one of their light weight self inflating mats for some years and it is comfortable, warm and packs down small. Ive used it on some very cold bivi nights in snow holes as it fits inside my gortex bivi bag and have had a good nights sleep. Ive also used rather more expensive Thermarest mats too. They are bulkier and heavier but still very comfortable.

I keep my original Karimat in the garage for sentimental reasons but only use it for working under my car. The world of camping mats has moved on.

in4

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2018, 11:38:59 am »
I was in the Hathersage Akpkit shop over the w/e. A welcome respite after some quite challenging walking around Burbage Rocks; pretty much a whiteout.
The two mats that appealed to me were the Cloudbase and the Numo. Both were pretty good weight wise. The Numo was more substantial, had a ribbed-type construction and was wedge shaped. The Cloudbase was more cellular in construction and, when inflated would leave you closer to the ground than the Numo. Apparently you are less likely to roll off the Numo but that would depend upon your preferred sleeping position I think.
Here's a link
https://www.alpkit.com/explore/sleeping-mats

Donerol

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2018, 12:20:50 pm »
The Numo wouldn't have much insulation but you could add a thin layer of closed cell foam on top. Before I gave up camping my most comfortable solution was a cheap plastic airbed from Woolworths with some 3mm Karrimat on top - bliss!

in4

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2018, 02:13:02 pm »
Agreed! I still use my Karrimat from19frozentodeath!

energyman

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2018, 03:40:53 pm »
Therm-a-Rest NeoAir. was my choice.