Author Topic: sleeping mats  (Read 12244 times)

jags

Re: sleeping mats
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 08:46:02 pm »
i had one of those exped down matt sold it along with all my cycling and touring gear   great matt for sure, but the super light one i have (can't think of the name of it  is a right noisy bugger ,id never buy another one get you barred from campsites  and frighten the be jaysus of any critters if you were to wild camp ;D

anto.

onmybike

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 11:12:12 pm »
Long time self-inflating Thermarest user, have had about six over the past 28 years, several have eventually delaminated at the head end resulting in a large bubble, but still useable to some extent when deflated, Thermarest have replaced them without question under their lifetime warranty.
Tempted to try some of the newer lighter weight options though.
Anyone used the Sea to Summit Ultralight Insulated mat? https://www.seatosummit.co.uk/products/sleeping-mats/ultralight-insulated-mat/

Almost - I have the next model up - https://www.seatosummit.co.uk/products/sleeping-mats/comfort-light-insulated-mat/

Without doubt it's the most comfortable camping mat I've used. There's no contest when compared to the ultralight thermarest that preceded it - their weights are almost identical but the Sea to Summit is in a different league when it comes to comfort. Not self inflating though - but then again nor were any of the 'self inflating' thermarests I owned before although that may have been my own impatience showing. The Sea to Summit is noisier which isn't a problem if you're travelling alone but if you're sharing a tent it might be.

I have managed to puncture it once when using it outside the tent and of course had left the puncture repair kit that came with the mat at home. However a glueless bicycle tube patch saved the day and two years later is still holding.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 11:54:18 pm »
...a glueless bicycle tube patch saved the day and two years later is still holding.
I've also had good luck with these for sealing holes in self-inflating pads and for similar amounts of time (so far...  ;) ).

Best,

Dan.

David Simpson

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 01:17:05 am »
...a glueless bicycle tube patch saved the day and two years later is still holding.
I've also had good luck with these for sealing holes in self-inflating pads and for similar amounts of time (so far...  ;) ).

That makes sense. A bicycle tube and an air mattress are basically the same thing, just a different shape.

Now for my Great Idea: a device that uses the air in your bike tyres to fill up your air mattress. The air mattress has a larger volume, but the tyres have higher pressure, so the amount of air is probably close to equal. No wearing yourself out by inflating the mattress with your lungs! Let your bike do the work. In the morning, simply reverse the process to put the air back into your tyres. Since the tyres require higher pressure than what is in the mattress, some work will be required to pump the air back. I haven't figured out that part yet.

You heard it here first!

- DaveS

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 01:39:02 am »
Dave,

We need to have you work on perpetual motion next. I'm sure you can do it!

All the best,

Dan.

Oggi

• D-JAC Limited
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 08:18:24 am »
This is my first post and my Mercury has not even arrived yet so I feel a bit of a fraud. However I have spent 40 years as a professional mountaineering instructor leading expeditions all over the world and must have spent a significant part of my life sleeping on inflatable mats. I got my first one in 1984 and have owned more than 20 over the years. My current favourite is a Neo air and I have never experienced the crackling people speak of. I must sleep soundly. Two tips are to carry self adhesive puncture repair tabs and gaffer tape and to look on the net for ways to make a pump. This can be done very easily with glue and plastic bottle tops and mine used a bit of sugru to finish. Your mat will grow mould inside from the moisture in your breath which you then breath in when you inflate it.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 08:50:25 am »
Welcome, Oggi!

Looking forward to seeing photos of your forthcoming Mercury in the Forum Gallery.

Best,

Dan.

Oggi

• D-JAC Limited
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 08:58:41 am »
Thanks Dan. This forum played a major part in my research into which bike to buy so thanks to all the contributors.

ridgeback63

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 05:46:25 pm »
Worth having a look at the ones by Alpkit,they make some excellent stuff ;https://www.alpkit.com/featured/sleeping-mats

David Simpson

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2018, 08:00:24 pm »
This is my first post and my Mercury has not even arrived yet so I feel a bit of a fraud.

You are getting a Mercury, so all is forgiven. :) Welcome to the forum!

My current favourite is a Neo air and I have never experienced the crackling people speak of.

I think the different models of the NeoAir crinkle/crackle less or more than others. I seem to remember that it was the thermal insulation that caused the noise, so models with a higher R rating were louder (but I could be wrong).

Your mat will grow mould inside from the moisture in your breath which you then breath in when you inflate it.

I like the "garbage bag" idea of inflating the mat, rather than blowing it up the hard way. Here is a YouTube video that shows how to do it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAK9ifUE8_8
You can also buy a bag made specially for that purpose:
    https://www.thermarest.com/mattresses/mattress-accessories/neoair-pump-sack
    https://www.rei.com/product/115082/big-agnes-pumphouse-ultra

- DaveS

Oggi

• D-JAC Limited
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2018, 08:20:17 pm »
Thanks DaveS your tech skills are better than mine. I left it up to the forum to do the work. My Mercury will be here early summer until then I will continue to make do with Lucy.

[Downsized and rotated photo -- Dan. (...who only sees a pre-Mercury in the picture.  ;)]
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 09:15:40 pm by Danneaux »

David Simpson

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2018, 09:44:12 pm »
Nicely set-up bike. I assume you will be setting up your Mercury in the same way?

Er, is that Lucy? I don't want to assume. :)

- DaveS

Oggi

• D-JAC Limited
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2018, 10:08:08 pm »
It’s a Charge Juicer. Hence the name. It will be a starting point for the Mercury but my bikes are always a work in progress. Lucy will go to my son as I still have the MTB for shopping and local trips. Thanks for resizing Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2018, 12:52:03 am »
Now for my Great Idea: a device that uses the air in your bike tyres to fill up your air mattress

Mmmm, Dave, you might want to check first with those who used to drive VW beetles which used the air in the spare tire to power (if "power" in the word I want--maybe just "operate"?) the windshield washer system. Seemed reasonable enough: tube atop valve uses the spare's air pressure to pressurize the reservoir, thus forcing the liquid onto the screen when the driver turned the knob.  Um, yes, so long as the spare was primed.

I learned about the limits of the system the hard way, crossing the Burlington Beach Skyway late one wet-n-snowy December evening in the mid-70's, returning to Toronto from NY in Marcia's '68 1200 Beetle (in most other respects an exemplary vehicle -- our Italian mechanic used to say, "That year, they got everything right.")  Not the place where you want to find you have an uncleanable windshield...I made it across, found a gas station, opened the hood; and I have to say, it never even occurred to me to look at the spare tire. Silly me, I thought the problem was no fluid in the reservoir.

So (he said, retrieving the "sleeping pads" thread, but only just) maybe reusable/refillable/recyclable emergency CO2 cartridges for knackered cyclists filling their pads at the end of the day?

Cheers,  John
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:55:12 am by John Saxby »

mickeg

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2018, 02:18:11 am »
Now for my Great Idea: a device that uses the air in your bike tyres to fill up your air mattress
..., it never even occurred to me to look at the spare tire. Silly me, I thought the problem was no fluid in the reservoir.

So (he said, retrieving the "sleeping pads" thread, but only just) maybe reusable/refillable/recyclable emergency CO2 cartridges for knackered cyclists filling their pads at the end of the day?

Cheers,  John

I have a slow leak in my front right Land Rover (2003 D2) tire, I carry a foot operated pump with me.