Author Topic: Ebay: Thorn Mercury 550S (?)  (Read 7347 times)

martinf

Re: Ebay: Thorn Mercury 550S (?)
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 12:24:13 pm »
I've recently acquired a raven sports tour with an alfine hub which is a great bike but would really like to have a Rholoff to tackle steeper hills.

Which Alfine? The 8 or the 11?

I have the  Nexus 8 premium on two family bikes, innards are more or less the same as the Alfine 8. These have proven reliable so far.

There were reports of problems with the 11 when it was first launched a few years back, I'm interested in whether it is reliable or not for long term use.

At the moment, SJS has some Nexus 8 premium and Alfine 11 hubs available at reduced prices.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hubs-internal-hub-gear-brake/shimano-alfine-sgs700-11speed-disc-hub-without-fittings-black-135mm-36h/

and

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hubs-internal-hub-gear-brake/shimano-nexus-sgc60108rv-8speed-rear-hub-without-fittings-black-32-hole/

I was going to get a couple of the 8's for my visitor bikes, but the low price for the 11 is tempting.

jacklord1961

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 01:20:03 pm »
Yup,good point about the long tour plus equipment,but it was a nice bike.
I will put it down to fate being just outbid but the lack of markings is a good idea(sadly) !!!.it may deter would be thief's with lack of knowledge of high spec bikes!!!! Just been out for quick 30k but weather too cold and had me turning around and heading for home haha

jacklord1961

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 01:27:25 pm »

Yup,good point about the long tour plus equipment,but it was a nice bike.
I will put it down to fate being just outbid but the lack of markings is a good idea(sadly) !!!.it may deter would be thief's with lack of knowledge of high spec bikes!!!! Just been out for quick 30k but weather too cold and had me turning around and heading for home haha

PH

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 01:37:47 pm »
Went for a price that should satisfy the buyer and seller, not an outstanding bargain IMO and a bit more than I would probably have bid.  As an owner, it's good to know they hold their value that well.