Author Topic: Ebay: Thorn Mercury 550S (?)  (Read 7345 times)

humedavid

Ebay: Thorn Mercury 550S (?)
« on: February 18, 2018, 08:02:31 pm »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorn-Mercury-Reynolds-853-frame-Roholf-Hub-Gear-Touring-Bike/332559761353

Not mine. I hope someone will bid on it so I won't have to !
Looks great btw.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 08:07:44 pm by humedavid »

sd

Re: Ebay: Thorn Mercury 550S (?)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 11:45:19 am »
Looks like a fair price. Odd he hasn't actually fitted a dynamo light.

PH

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 02:07:14 pm »
Looks like a fair price. Odd he hasn't actually fitted a dynamo light.
As the advert says the dynamo has been used to charge a battery pack, I'd have fitted a light as well, but it isn't unusual for those on long tours not to have that as a priority.
I does look a lovely bike, all the things I'd have chosen myself apart from the drop bars. Be interesting to see where the price goes, but IMO the start price is very realistic.

Donerol

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 04:31:24 pm »
I'm almost tempted by this - it's my dream bike with just the set-up and colour I'd choose. I'm pretty sure it's the right size, and as it's fairly local to me I expect I could arrange to try it out before bidding. BUT I think I would be too neurotic about using such a nice bike, or having it stolen. Also, my Calvinist upbringing rather balks at such self-indulgence!

Neil Jones

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 04:45:51 pm »
It's a gorgeous bike at a fair price, I reckon you should go for it. You only live once.

Neil

Tiberius

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 05:13:51 pm »
I'm almost tempted by this - it's my dream bike with just the set-up and colour I'd choose. I'm pretty sure it's the right size, and as it's fairly local to me I expect I could arrange to try it out before bidding. BUT I think I would be too neurotic about using such a nice bike, or having it stolen. Also, my Calvinist upbringing rather balks at such self-indulgence!

If you want it, and can afford it, then buy it.

At least give it a try (you say it's local to you) ....You say it's your dream bike, what are you waiting for ??!!.....

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 08:21:06 pm »
Lovely Mercury! Doneral - if you don't self-indulge no one else will! I overbid a few years ago for my Raven Tour and won it at a great price. It has repaid me multiple times with happiness.

jacklord1961

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 12:40:24 pm »
Hi,I'm relatively new to this forum but just looking for  a bit of advice re sizing. The guy selling this Mercury says its a 520s but he's 5ft 8 with 30" inside leg which is same as myself but wouldn't this be a tad small? It is a brill bike and ditto sorely tempted!!!!

macspud

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 02:31:18 pm »
From the photos it does look to be a 520. Going by the frame sizing chart on page 26 of the mega brochure, you would seem to be bang in the middle of the height and leg length range for the 520 frame.

PH

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 02:58:31 pm »
Hi,I'm relatively new to this forum but just looking for  a bit of advice re sizing. The guy selling this Mercury says its a 520s but he's 5ft 8 with 30" inside leg which is same as myself but wouldn't this be a tad small? It is a brill bike and ditto sorely tempted!!!!

Sizing guides can be pretty good, but it's even better to compare to an existing bike if you have one you're comfortable on.
We're all a bit different, not just in size but also in preferences, I'm pretty happy on a range of sizes as long as I can get the relationship between BB and saddle setback right and even this can be tuned with a setback seatpost.  Others I know can't get comfortable on a bike where the reach is a cm or two different, which doesn't bother me at all.  Also worth noting that anything with a EBB will effectively have a change of geometry every time to adjust the chain, doesn't bother me on the Mercury's half size EBB, but on a full throw one I could only ever use a portion of it.

jacklord1961

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 05:37:13 pm »
Thanks PH. I've recently acquired a raven sports tour with an alfine hub which is a great bike but would really like to have a Rholoff to tackle steeper hills.The one I bought off eBay is immaculate and the sizing is 500l but unsure how that would compare to this mercury.Tbh think I've shrunk with age,just re measured at 5  7.5" 29" inside leg so as long as I can MBE increase the seatpost and set it back a little,its a possibility,really appreciate your advice thanks JL

PH

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 10:22:12 pm »
Good luck if you go for it, unless the price goes silly it could be a bargain, I just paid almost that much for a frameset and a couple of bits!

jacklord1961

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 10:32:16 pm »
Hi Mac ,and PH thanks for all your input on this it really does seem a nice bike,poss worth a punt unless price goes crazy cheers Jl

jacklord1961

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 08:14:42 am »
Sadly outbid >:(,hopefully it was someone from this forum  :).hey ho my last bid 1750 but pipped at 1800 so someone has a nice bike ;) .I may consider converting my Raven from Alfine to Rohloff;) just wondering how much a bike shop would charge as my maintenance skills are sadly lacking,either that or checking eBay for that third bike lol

Donerol

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 10:23:21 am »
Well, it wasn't me - I decided I didn't want it. I already have a Raven Tour and would prefer a lighter deraileur bike for faster summer touring. In any case, that Mercury had been used on a long tour with camping gear and a kickstand.