Author Topic: Gear shifting stuck after tyre change - help please.  (Read 2950 times)

swayzak

Gear shifting stuck after tyre change - help please.
« on: February 17, 2018, 10:42:32 am »
Hello

The shifter won't move out of 14th following a tyre change.

The part at the end of the cable (which attaches to the external shifter box) rotates ok when I turn the gear selector, but nothings happens when I connect to box.

Can someone advise please ?

Thanks

Donerol

Re: Gear shifting stuck after tyre change - help please.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 11:49:00 am »
With a Rohloff you need to remember to set the gear to either 1 or 14 before you remove the wheel. Then when you connect the cables up again it is easy to do it correctly, at least it is with the internal cables that I have - I don't know about the Ex-box. You may have to use a spanner to shift the gear to 14 before re-connecting your cables.

Sorry, I realise that's not much help, but I wanted to reassure you that you won't have damaged anything. Someone will be along soon to give you more useful advice.

swayzak

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 12:07:59 pm »
Taken it to bike shop to be looked at (only chance I had to drop it off there).

Probably something daft I did when rushing to take wheel off (but I'm sure it was in gear 14). Something related to Ex box and/or cable connector..

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 01:44:59 pm »
It is possible that it really is in gear 1, not 14.  If you get on the bike and pedal a few meters, you will know if you are in a really low gear or a really high gear.  If that is the case, disconnect the EX box, turn the shifter to gear 1, reassemble.

If it really is in gear 14, I have no other suggestions.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 04:05:05 pm »
the simplest explanation would be that while you had things apart, the shifter on the handlebar got spun around to 1. If you reconnect with the shifter at 1 and the hub at 14, you will be totally stuck! No big deal, just disconnect the ex box, spin the shifter to 14, and reconnect.

swayzak

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 05:04:45 pm »
That makes sense - I knew it might be something daft like that.

Will let the bike shop know.

Andre Jute

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 10:08:18 pm »
If you have an 8mm spanner, you can fix this yourself. Take the EXT box off (thumbscrew), see a brass nut, put the spanner on it and test which way it will turn (it turns only one way), turn it the other way 13 clicks if you want to count but in any event until it won't turn any more. In neither instance force anything. Put the EXT box back on; you may need to wriggle the rotating handlebar control the tiniest fraction. You should now have 14 gears, i.e. 13 clicks.

If you don't have an 8mm spanner, check where the handlebar rotary control stands, either 1 or 14. Take off the EXT box by undoing its thumbscrew and pulling outwards. Let the EXT box hang. Rotate the rotary control at the handlebar all the way to the other end. Put the EXT box back on -- you may have to wriggle the handlebar control the tiniest fraction -- and do the thumbscrew up again. You should now have 14 gears, i.e. 13 clicks.