Author Topic: MY RAVEN ENDURO STOLEN IN OXFORD  (Read 7886 times)

Richard Lofthouse

MY RAVEN ENDURO STOLEN IN OXFORD
« on: February 14, 2018, 06:44:58 pm »
My lovely Raven Enduro was targetted by a thief at Chiltern Railway's station OXFORD PARKWAY - stolen at  12.30pm on Feb 7. All caught on CCTV.

They presumably targetted the Rohloff hub - a point that I would make more generally. You can hacksaw through the wheel rim and tyre in five minutes, and destroy the wheel but still walk off with the thousand pound hub ...........I think this is what happened because I had a big D-Lock around the back wheel with exactly this fear in mind. The lock was there, undamaged, so they must have sawed through the rim.

Please keep an eye open for these parts. Marzocchi fork, Hope brakes, MAVIC rims.  It's a black frame with blue decals. Because there were only about 100 of these ever made in 2007-9, there is a real chance that it shows up.

British Transport Police have a face from the CCTV footage (amazing?) and the guy on the other end of the inquiry is Frances on 0207 027 6399 (BTP: London HQ). Because it was their racking on behalf of Chiltern Railways, they are being much more responsive than I thought they would be.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: MY RAVEN ENDURO STOLEN IN OXFORD
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 08:27:47 pm »
Oh!!! How horrifying!  :o

So very, very sorry this has happened, and hope it can be recovered as soon as possible, as completely as possible.

Many thanks for the timely warning to others. Yes, sadly there are a number of ways in which this can occur.  :'(

Welcome (wish it was under better circumstances) and all best wishes for a good outcome.

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 08:29:44 pm »
By any chance do you have the Rohloff's serial number recorded and/or registered? It might make recovery more possible if it ever goes in for service.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 08:31:05 pm »
 :'( :'( i hope you had it insured.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 08:34:50 pm »
Also in the interest of helping others, please can you tell us a bit more about your locking technique? Was the D-lock only 'round the rear rim or also 'round the seatstay or chainstay? Sounds as if they got the lot (entire bike) when the rim was cut?  :'(

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 10:45:54 pm »
A sickening event. Commiserations, Richard. I hope you get it back. I also hope the thief resists the police and gives them an excuse reason...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 10:47:37 pm by Andre Jute »

horizon

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 01:29:57 am »
A sickening event. Commiserations, Richard. I hope you get it back. I also hope the thief resists the police and gives them an excuse reason...

Not sure I follow that.

macspud

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 06:58:31 am »
Commiserations.
That looks like the Thorn Raven Enduro 559M that was listed last month on ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401468921720?ul_noapp=true
I recognize that wrap on the Rohloff EX box cable entry.
Are you the new owner? I'm not sure which would be worse. Losing an old favourite from new or it being newly acquired. 
Fingers crossed you get it back.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 07:49:47 am by macspud »

jags

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 12:59:33 pm »
same bike for sure  :o

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 05:28:08 pm »
I didn't loose my Raven but it was removed from its parking spot and thrown down some stairs.
I couldn't find it for 5 terrifying minutes so I think I can appreciate some of what you have gone through.

The hub number may help.
Can you let us know?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Andre Jute

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 09:31:45 pm »

Not sure I follow that.

A fantasy in which the police give bike thieves a good kicking.

macspud

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 07:01:17 am »
This same picture (1st attachment) was used in this listing:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorn-Raven-Enduro-VVGC-Rohloff-amp-Reynolds-853-Hardtail-bike-HOPE-MAVIC-819-/352273341670?hash=item5205209ce6%3Ag%3AEzgAAOSwjIVaeCz8&nma=true&si=CLwWSUWGAs3eMg7FRTvNhCOqYUk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Also 2nd and 3rd attachments, from just prior to theft?

But the listing started on Feb 5th two days before theft and ended Feb 12th five days after. Seems very suspicious to me. What with it using the same photo that you have posted here, and mixed with photos of the original ebay listing, and then with photos of it locked insecurely in the rack.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 07:20:01 am by macspud »

ridgeback63

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 07:21:49 pm »
Well spotted macspud,I couldn't help but think who in their right mind leaves a bike like that locked up at a train station,look at the parts on it,apart from the rohloff,it's got a hope hub,top quality rims and possibly a carbon seatpost.

Donerol

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 11:16:23 pm »
Seems distinctly fishy.  ???

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 06:01:44 pm »
Very odd - time for Richard Lofthouse, the original poster, to drop by and comment I think.