Author Topic: Repeats New Nomad  (Read 12619 times)

Pavel

Re: Repeats New Nomad
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2018, 11:23:29 am »
Yes, indeed that is a nice way to spend a bonus.  As PH has said - it looks purposeful. the other word that comes to mind is "gorgeous".

jags

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 11:35:19 am »
you done right you'll be dead a long time .
a good saddle like the Fizik and assos padded bibs will sort out your other half  ,i was gonna say ass but better not. ::)

anto
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 08:16:12 pm by jags »

Tiberius

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2018, 11:56:44 am »
OK so the story behind the bike is not so special.... essentially I was looking for a future proof do it all bike. I have a Ti racing bike which I use for general road riding, triathlons, sportives etc  (8 years old now) and I have a very nice ultra-light carbon mountain bike (6 years old) that is great for x country rides. I have been using either of these for commuting to work - 20 mile each way, which is ok but not particularly satisfactory. The MTB wont take any attachments and the road bike I cannot take on my preferred route which is a disused railway track. I hate carrying stuff on my back, but I hate the road commute even more, so the nomad will be my commute bike now. At the same time I have a plan to do some touring holidays starting small this year and working up to longer and longer. Persuading my other half has been a struggle - we have done a number of backpacking holidays in the past so its not an aversion to camping that's the problem, more the idea of sitting on a saddle for extended periods that's putting her off..... so I said that I would carry all the gear as an incentive to get her into it - I guess I am fairly confident that her bottom will get used to her saddle in time. The S&S couplings and all the other bling were just a case of making it future proof. I came in for a nice bonus from work this year and this seemed the best way to spend it.

Money VERY well spent.....Lovely bike......Enjoy........ 8)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2018, 02:48:52 pm »
What a lovely machine!

Best,

Dan.

David Simpson

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2018, 06:42:40 pm »
...so the nomad will be my commute bike now...

I dream of someday touring on my Nomad, but with the time demands of a young family, that will have to wait. For now, my Nomad is my commute bike. I think it is a great bike for commuting, with the only drawback being the weight of the bike. But I tell myself that the extra weight is part of my training regimen, just like runners who wear ankle weights. ;)

The nice thing about the Nomad is that it is designed take all of the accessories that are useful (required?) for commuting: lights, mudguards, racks + bags, etc. It is also an extremely comfortable bike to ride, partly because of the larger tyres.

- DaveS

Repeat

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2018, 08:26:34 pm »
I guess I’m still breaking in the saddle, but if it ends up anything like the swift I have on my road bike it will be as if it’s not there. The ride is definitely comfy on the arms though and there’s not a lot of road noise travelling up through the forks. Yes it’s not the fastest commuting bike, but i don’t really need fast. What’s great for me is that I get into my office with more energy and drive after a 2 hour bike commute along a public bridleway that was once a railway, having heard all the sounds of nature. Almost each day I see rabbits, squirrels, deer, badgers, hedgehogs and it’s just such a lovely start and end to the day. It’s also as you say, a good training session.

Repeat

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2018, 08:40:45 pm »
Photos of my commute that I forgot to load...

David Simpson

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2018, 08:50:32 pm »
Nice! That's my ideal commute. My commute is mostly city streets, but I can take a detour on a quiet trail beside a creek in the trees if I have the time.

I think you'll find the Nomad to be a very good bike for your commute.

Thanks for posting the photos.

- DaveS

Repeat

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2018, 09:14:30 pm »
Yes I’m lucky where I live to have such a possibility - I know it might see, strange but I enjoy it more in winter when it’s dark all the time - there are rarely any dog walkers or other bike riders for that matter, and I enjoy the sounds of the bike and nature around me.

John Saxby

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2018, 10:19:41 pm »
I get into my office with more energy and drive after a 2 hour bike commute along a public bridleway that was once a railway, having heard all the sounds of nature. Almost each day I see rabbits, squirrels, deer, badgers, hedgehogs and it’s just such a lovely start and end to the day.

This is how it's s'posed to be, and the Nomad will only enhance the ride :)

PS: No bears??

Repeat

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2018, 07:46:33 am »
No bears where I am in rural E Sussex. They would definitely speed up the ride though, assuming peddling as fast as you can is the correct response to a bear. Having said all that, Pooh bear, as in Winnie the Pooh was based pretty close to me and walks to Pooh Sticks Bridge are still a favourite.

jags

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2018, 12:26:16 pm »
wow whats not to like about that spin into work class. ;)

John Saxby

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2018, 10:42:04 pm »
assuming peddling as fast as you can is the correct response to a bear

That's what's needed if you're cycling alone.  If you're in a group, you need only be faster than somebody else.

Just joking about the bears.  In bear country, though, the issue is to ensure that the bear isn't surprised, and has an escape route. In late June 2016, in Montana's Glacier National Park, an off-duty ranger was mountain biking on a trail, came around a corner at speed, and crashed into a grizzly. Bear took exception to such treatment, with dire results.

Pooh bear would likely not have reacted as the grizzly did. Pooh was originally Canajan, an orphaned black bear which was adopted as the mascot of the Winnipeg Regiment in WWI. As a Canajan, his first reaction to being crashed by a MTB would probably have been to say , "Sorry."

Pavel

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 11:26:20 pm »
That's " I'm sorry, eh?"

John Saxby

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2018, 12:43:43 am »
 ;D ;D