Author Topic: Brooks Cambium saddle  (Read 5030 times)

phopwood

Brooks Cambium saddle
« on: March 18, 2014, 05:00:26 pm »
Hi,

Have anyone had a Brooks Cambium saddles on their bike for a long time, I can see a number of review on the web, but none of them are long term tests.  How do they compare to a standard brooks saddle over a few thousand miles.  how have you found the saddle over a long period of time.

All the best.

Peter

geocycle

Re: Brooks Cambium saddle
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 08:21:30 pm »
You might struggle to find anyone with a lot of experience as they are relatively new.  I think the main thing to note is that they are brooks only in name.  The function is completely different as while they may be comfortable, you will not get the personal fit that leather produces.

RobertL

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 08:15:11 pm »
My Selle San Marco was replaced with a Cambium C15 which was my mistake, the bike shop had recommended the C 17 (Raven Sport with flat bar). The C 15 did nothing for my libido, and the Brooks site recommends the C 17 for riding on flat bar bike.

Have since swapped for a C 17, and based on a 90 mile shakedown ride, I am very pleased.

Selle have acquired Brooks, and the Cambium is made in Italy. It is actually more comfortable than my old San Marco.

They also have an even wider C 19. This is for urban, very upright position.

Pavel

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 05:27:20 pm »
I've had one for about two thirds of a year now and have to voice mostly disappointment. I bought it to address a specific condition, which was the fact that the leather brooks saddles rise at the back end where my sit bones are and unless I tip the nose upwards more than is comfortable I slide forward as have major pressure on my perineum area.  I think that is the result of the fact that I don't peddle as vigorously as I used to. When I used to ride harder, I had very little weight on the seat.  Now I wan't to sit much more upright, and take the weight off of my arms and neck (my neck hurts at the end of any ride longer than an hour).  Thus in order to do that I need to point my saddle up and I have good comfort, but only in a very narrow range.  If I bend down a bit or move my hands more forward - agony.

So looking at the profiles on the cambium saddle it seemed not to slope downwards forward of where I have my sit-bones, and in fact that did result in relieving me of my primary problem.  But several negatives have come with that one improvement.  First the B 17 has been made more narrow. The cambium is 162 mm wide versus the 175mm width of the leather equivalent.  One step forward - one step back, for me.  It does not breathe as the natural leather does, but I guess we all could deduce that.  Brooks marketing tell us "immediately  comfortable" which turns out to be, in my experience "immediately tolerable, never your own perfect shape".  Lastly, and this was quite a surprise, I find that there is a bit of a trampoline effect and feeling as I cycle.

When I ordered and received my Nomad back in 2011, I was very happy with all the details of my order except three things.  One's too trite to type about but the two others really were disappointments.  Firstly the front wheel was built to shoddy standards.  It had so much runout from side to side it required the breaks to be adjusted as wide as I could get them while still having enough to stop the bike.  Secondly, and more frustratingly the mechanic who built up my bike cut the front fork to how I was measured despite my getting assurances from the sales end that it would not be cut, as per my wishes.  That has become a deeper problem over time and I can't move the bars up high enough to stop the pain in my arms and neck and it impacts the seat comfort to an extreme degree. I'm not getting younger. 

So the tried and true real leather B17 saddles (of which I have three - all with slightly different shapes right out of the box - as should be expected) I find the best comfort, but due to somehow either not fitting my Nomad well enough, or being too far out of a solid healthy state for cycling, I find the leather seats very good in comfort in an unacceptably short range of posture.  I cycle with the tip up so I don't slide forwards and with my palms a bit extended upwards. I can do that for about an hour.  Replacing the leather with the new plastic Cambium works ok, but it's what I'd sum up as an underwhelming sideways step and the bounce it give is unpleasant for me.

Now I don't mean to whine or sound disappointed with my bike in any way.  Over all I'm a proud Nomad owner who could (and probably will) buy a new Nomad fork and try another few handle bars.  Rather I took pains to describe my particular circumstances - to illustrate how particular and personal my problems with the B17 in tried and true leather is.  I think the fact I ride the better suited For most more "normal" cyclists I fully recommend the old way - and forget the slick marketing as we take a couple of steps forward and just as many or even more backwards, with the Cambium range.

energyman

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 05:30:34 pm »
Gave up on Brooks saddles this year since finding a £36 Selle Saddle was theeeeee most comfortable saddle I've ever bought.
Sorry Brooks.
Oh yes the Selle saddle can get wet without causing problems.

smithhaddon123

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 11:39:18 am »
...unless I tip the nose upwards more than is comfortable I slide forward as have major pressure on my perineum area...

Did you ever try the Imperial version with the cutout?  I have the Brooks Team Pro Imperial and swear by it.  I cannot tolerate a non-imperial at all for the same reason.  Due to expense I haven't tried a Cambium, would like to, though.

jags

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 01:11:51 pm »
Fizik Alanti  8) 8) 8)

anto.

Pavel

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 04:03:20 pm »
Besides the cambium, I've got three other brooks currently and all suffer from the same thing.  I slide forward, or I have to tilt the seat up too high to be comfortable except in one upright position.

I tolerate the deficiencies of course, because compared to every other make I've tried over the course of my lifetime, they are still the most comfortable and once were fully comfortable.  I think advancing years have taken it's toll and I'll never be comfortable as I was in my teens and twenties, no matter the saddle nor tweaking.  any worse though and I'll be buying a recumbent. Now that was the one thing that outdid any brooks, ever.  :)

lewis noble

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 04:10:52 pm »
Anto, sent you a pm.

jags

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 04:55:13 pm »
just sent you email lewis .

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 07:45:19 pm »
Pavel, slipping about?
Brooks man myself.
B17 Flyer
I find my present set up.is a compromise due to ever so slight differences when going up or down hill.
Took me ages to get right and finished up buying a set back attachment to perfect the finished position.
But a happy bunny now.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

mickeg

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 07:59:37 pm »
I tried a C17 for about 100 meters or so.  Went back to leather after that.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 10:47:59 am »
I have the Cambium C15 on a road bike, and for rides for up to a day the saddle works well. No problems with it getting wet which of course is one of the potential problems for a leather Brooks.

However on the Raven Tour for multi-day and multi-month tours the B17 Select has been fantastic. I would not use anything else other than a leather saddle on long tours.

I did find that there was a bit of slip-sliding going on but have found that with a good saddle cover I now have the B17 almost level, only very slightly up at the front. Plus the waterproof saddle cover completely protects the saddle so it does not loose its shape if it rains.

Perhaps this saddle cover that I use would stop the slipping some experience so you can continue with a leather Brooks without tipping the saddle up too much  ...

https://www.randijofab.com/collections/saddle-covers/products/waxed-canvas-saddle-cover

Has a neat flap underneath to prevent saddle water damage from below.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 10:50:02 am by StuntPilot »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 03:28:45 pm »
Perhaps this saddle cover that I use would stop the slipping...
Randi Jo's products are well made and I see more of them daily, as she lives just 87km from my house.  Smallish world. :)

Best,

Dan.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 09:48:32 am »
Yes, Dan they are great quality. I am thinking of getting a Multi Use Tote but they sell out quickly! Currently out of B17 saddle covers too but I think a production run is due for both any time soon.