Author Topic: Warranty  (Read 6578 times)

JanieB

Rear wheel punctures
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 02:39:25 pm »
Ok, so I do not think it will be an issue.

We will be getting 26" wheels and as for which Rohloff hub we are getting I am not sure. However, reading over the procedure as described by several users it actually sounds less of a flap than with a derailleur.  New skills broaden the mind!
What next?

Andre Jute

Re: Warranty
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 11:47:48 pm »
Thorn does not like kickstands, so if you planned to install, discuss that with SJS first.

The oil change kit includes all parts you need, but I do not recall if it included a 3mm allen wrench or not....

If you plan to do any far off trips on the bikes, ask them what spares and supplies you might want to also carry with you.

You need your own Allen key for the oil change operation; there isn't one in the kit. What else isn't in the kit is glue to fix the tube to the syringe.

The Rohloff manual is very comprehensive. It lists, at p124 of the English manual (which you can download on the net from the Rohloff site), all the tools the entire Rohloff system needs. Any multitool will usually have everything a Rohloff needs, excepting

***a 2mm Allen key
***a 2.5mm Allen key
***a really good quality (I order several of the German Witte brand at once so as to have spares) T20, repeat T20 (not T25!) Torx key and
*** if the Rohloff is fitted with the EXT external gear change clicker, an 8mm open spanner or socket to be driven with the multitool's 6mm Allen; the purpose of the 8mm open spanner or socket (with driver of some kind) is to change gear on the gearbox in case your cable breaks.

Someone was saying here the other day that he carries a small adjustable spanner for the duty the 8mm socket/spanner does but I don't much fancy working on a thousand pounds plus of Rohloff under adverse circumstances (in the dark and wet or snow beside a narrow road full of speeding lorries, say) with an adjustable spanner.

John Saxby

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 11:50:35 pm »
Welcome, Janie, to the world of Thorns and Rohloffs.

I'll not re-cover the ground already mapped above, other than to say that changing a tube on my Raven-mit-Roholff is no problem.

One suggestion, which you may want to review with SJSC when you get your bikes:  I've replaced my quick-release skewers with Halowheel "slow-release" skewers, both fore and aft. I found that my rear QR tended to loosen, although the front remained snug. The Halowheel fixed the problem at the rear. (The Halowheels use a 5mm hex key.)

Good luck, and enjoy,

Cheers,  John

John Saxby

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 11:59:40 pm »
One other suggestion, Janie:  You do not need to get a kickstand for your bikes. Many of us use something called a "Clickstand", a separate segmented & shock-corded pole which fits under the top tube of your bike.  Here's the link: http://www.click-stand.com/

There are pros and cons and preferences, but I've found that this is a good solution to the propping-it-up problem, esp if you don't have walls, trees, for fences handy.

I mention this because it just popped up again in another thread below, "Stand reinforcement".

mickeg

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 02:45:35 am »
I repeat my suggestion, you should discuss spares and tools with SJS if you plan to go to far off places with the bikes.  That discussion should include pumps too.

One suggestion, which you may want to review with SJSC when you get your bikes:  I've replaced my quick-release skewers with Halowheel "slow-release" skewers, both fore and aft. I found that my rear QR tended to loosen, although the front remained snug. The Halowheel fixed the problem at the rear. (The Halowheels use a 5mm hex key.)

I never heard of slow release skewers.  Do you mean these?
https://halo-usa.com/products/hl9011

I have those, but in black.  I use the XL because the Thorn dropouts are pretty thick.  The front, I cut it down in length however, it was too long.

Around home I use the quick release, I am very fortunate to live in an area with minimal theft.  But on tours I use the Halo bolt on skewers because you need a wrench to separate an expensive wheel from the frame.  I assume most thieves are opportunists and do not carry around a 5mm wrench.  If I had one of the ones with a special key like a Pitlock, I am most certain I would lose it.  That is why I prefer the ones like the Halo that use any 5mm allen wrench.

John Saxby

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 11:26:51 am »
Yep, those are the items, George. Very good products.

I never heard of slow release skewers.

I wish I could claim authorship of the phrase, but I can't: I liked the play on words, the contrast with "quick-release", but as I recall, I first heard it used by Robert Ewing, on crazyguy.