Author Topic: BikeCAD knock-up of my ideal Thorn  (Read 2060 times)

smithhaddon123

BikeCAD knock-up of my ideal Thorn
« on: January 28, 2018, 11:50:00 am »
I'm a self-confessed BikeCAD nut and love making drawings of my non-existant dream bike.  My current Club Tour is very close to it but a lighter, more expensive Reynolds 853 version with straight stays (non-disc) would be my ultmiate machine.  For everyone's amusement here's a couple of pics.  Same design, one dimensioned, one with paint job.

Ben

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 11:55:01 am by smithhaddon123 »

Pavel

Re: BikeCAD knock-up of my ideal Thorn
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 03:40:48 pm »
the paint and decals look good - kind of fresh feeling.  The dimensions from the sit bones, plus the reach and then the length to the tops are how specs SHOULD be written up for prospective customers.  Why are they not I wonder? But at the same time those, should Thorn make it thus, would make it too long for my body, while the frame size is correct.  What a tough job designers have satisfying such a variety of needs and preferences as are out there.

I,m surprised by a few choices you've made.  The cranks at 195, would that not be hard to find, and not limit your choices?  If the drawing is to scale it seems like the overplayed horror over toe overlap would come revisit Andy - and I think he's likely fed up with that.  Also the axel to crown at 370mm is ten mm less than the current Audax.  What was attribute you were looking for in that design choice?

I used to draft way back in 82/83 and in 85 was sent for Autocad training (on high end 286's with about 1/1000th the memory of my iPhone).  It was way too much fun to be thought of as work.  But nowadays the cost of a license is prohibitive and there's not much I'd be inspired to use it for.  Perhaps re-doing the kitchen? :)   I never thought about BikeCad, didn't even know it existed.  Is it affordable?  That could be a hobby in and of itself, designing the perfect N=1 dream bikes.  And much cheaper than buying too! 

smithhaddon123

Re: BikeCAD knock-up of my ideal Thorn
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 06:18:11 pm »
The cranks are definitely only for me, probably!  I got mine flown in from the States by Zinn Cycles.  Cost more than the frame.  Yes, there is half an inch of toe overlap and ground clearance isn't much but I'm well used to that.  I have a 93cm inseam and love the long cranks.  They don't afford any extra power or performance but they really do protect my knees against repetitive strain injury, due to spinning slower over a full range of arc.  Spreads the load, as it were. 

The axle - crown is the 383mm dimension - the MER853VC club tour fork. 

BikeCAD costs $500 Canadian, about £300, a one-time fee, free updates for life.  There is a free version online at bikecad.ca but there are serious issues with it nowadays since it requires a third-party java plug-in, from which modern browsers run a mile.