Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Swisstops at 6,000 miles

(1/3) > >>

Matt2matt2002:
I am preparing my Raven for its next tour and was about to fit new Swisstops.
Anyone any thoughts on the attached pictures showing the pad in situ after 6,000 miles against a new uninstalled pad?

Perhaps I'm premature in thinking I should make the replacement now?
Plenty of life left?

No fading or reluctance stop.

Thanks folks.

geocycle:
I got double that mileage out of mine!  I don't see the point in changing them unless they stop performing or start damaging the rims.  Think of the weight saving....

I've now got swissstops on the back and ordinary koolstops on the front since I swapped the CSS rim to a standard one.  The ordinary blocks wear so quickly in comparison. TBH I preferred having the CSS rim as braking performance has not noticeably changed and I seem to be making a lot more adjustments to the brakes than before.

Matt2matt2002:
Thanks geo.
Do the pictures show the wear OK?
I've not yet worn down the 'V' sections.

PH:
Plenty of life left in them, here's one I took off recently, probably 10,000 miles, I was probably a bit cautious looks like it would have been fine for a while more, it was working fine.

mickeg:
I just bring one set of extra pads with me when I leave for a trip in case I need them later.

The photo shows the pads I took off my bike after my Pacific Coast trip, in that case I decided that they were due for replacement when I got home.  But if I had to I could have changed the pads on one wheel during the trip.  My pads are obviously not the blue Swisstop pads, my pads wore faster as they were not the extra hard pads for use on a CSS rim.

I think you have a lot of life left on them.  I think you should keep using yours, but bring a spare set along in case you need them later. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version