Author Topic: any plans lads,  (Read 10206 times)

DAntrim

Re: any plans lads,
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 07:02:46 pm »
18 years behind the counter of St. John's Town of Dalry local shop.

Matt, now in Aberdeenshire.

Going to the Dark Sky Observatory  near Dalmellington, looking forward to it, not been that way for around 15 years now.  :)

jags

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 12:32:58 am »
Dumfries and Galloway is my old stomping ground.
18 years behind the counter of St. John's Town of Dalry local shop.
Near New Galloway.
Plenty of interesting places along the back roads.

It's a great area - I've enjoyed several short tours there and will no doubt do some more.

This year I'm considering LeJOG. I've wanted to do it for many years, but first I was tied down with children and then when they grew up it was elderly parents. Working and other holiday patterns have got in the way too. I'd really like to "do it properly" and be self-sufficient but my husband is not interested (and in any case I can't keep up with him) and I'd prefer some company in the evenings. I'm currently looking at organised supported tours and wondering if I can build the necessary fitness - snow and ice has kept me off the bike for nearly two weeks and today I felt distinctly flabby!
Well i sure hope you make it,sounds like you deserve a good holiday mean that in a nice way. ;)
anto.

jags

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 12:40:19 am »
Anto,
Sunbathing outside near Edinburgh ;)

I am an optimist...
;D ;D

Anto,
I am currently sunbathing indoors, the very heavy rain went through by noon.
I ventured out on foot and was nearly blown away, it is safer sitting indoors just now.
Julian.
It's still very windy here Julian ,i got a great walk in today weather not great for cycling i'm more a fair weather cyclist these days been a while since i turned a pedal.i got my hi fi back up and running so getting through some great LP's i'd safely say my next door neighbour is doing a jig (not) when i turn up the juice  Rolling stones and led zeplin tonight  ;D ;D.

anto.

PH

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2018, 03:17:40 am »
If the weather stays mild I'll try and get the first 200km of the year in this weekend, I like to do at least one a month and this'll be the last chance for Jan.  If it's still windy I may cheat - get the train and ride with the wind.
I also need to make my mind up about my bikes - I bought a Mercury with half an idea that it would replace my Audax bike, after a couple of long rides I'm still not sure it will.

Donerol

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2018, 11:02:41 am »
I bought a Mercury with half an idea that it would replace my Audax bike, after a couple of long rides I'm still not sure it will.

I'd be interested to hear your pros and cons. I have an Audax and I'm not ever likely to afford a Mercury, but it's nice to dream  :).

PH

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2018, 01:13:26 pm »
I bought a Mercury with half an idea that it would replace my Audax bike, after a couple of long rides I'm still not sure it will.

I'd be interested to hear your pros and cons. I have an Audax and I'm not ever likely to afford a Mercury, but it's nice to dream  :).
I should first clarify that my Audax bike isn't a Thorn Audax bike it's a SOMA ES, it's the bike I ride Audax on.  I can't compare it to the Thorn because I've never ridden one. 
Initial thoughts - I've had the Mercury on the road since mid Nov, in which time I've ridden it most days and done three rides over 100 miles - it's more comfortable but harder work than the SOMA.  That's it really, comfort Vs speed, how much of each matters and if it's worth the trade off is what I'm trying to work out.  It's possible that I wouldn't have used the SOMA on two of the long rides anyway because of the conditions, on a very flat 200km I'd have been happy with either, on a hilly Peak District one I regretted not being on the SOMA.  Of course, these are only first impressions, maybe I was having a bad day in the Peaks and a good day on the flat, what it isn't is as clear cut as I was hoping, time will tell...
I could of course keep both, but I'm struggling for storage and the SOMA needs a fair bit of work and money if it's going to get much use.

jags

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2018, 02:20:08 pm »
PH love my thorn audax crackin bike .but if i were to ride with all the glory hunters on the Saturday group ride i'd be taking my carbon Terry Dolan flying machine .
if it came to selling one of my  bikes i'd sell the dolan simply because the thorn is more comfy on longer rides and  it can carry panniers just in case i change my mind on doing some touring ;)

anto.

geocycle

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2018, 05:58:46 pm »
Plans? Well in the short term it would be great to get some still, dry non-ice weather to get up on the hills.  This weekend is looking mild but wet again, so might not be possible to do much.  Longer term I have an idea for a diagonal coast to coast this summer ending in Suffolk for the Aldeburgh festival. Never ridden in such flat country as the east of England so it will be a change - apparently the wind is always uphill!

jags

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2018, 08:36:42 pm »
rather ride uphill than into headwind torture  :) :).

anto.

Pavel

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2018, 09:57:33 pm »
rather ride uphill than into headwind torture  :) :).

anto.

A ride through Kansas would be a good way to face your fear.  Any plans?

jags

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2018, 10:03:45 pm »
well none for me ,i was going or thinking of selling my Terry Dolan to finance a new pair speakers  ::)
here we go again ,i talk meself into doing crazy stuff like this ,
my son built it up for me over a week when i bought the frame and groupset he's a perfectionist ,if he finds out im thinking of selling it he will swing for me  ;D ;D

i'm a geek.

anto.