Author Topic: Rohloff Ex-box Maintenance  (Read 4585 times)

Ubert767

Rohloff Ex-box Maintenance
« on: April 20, 2018, 08:35:25 am »
 I've recently change the cables on my 10 year old Nomad and it caused me to wonder. Please can anyone advise on the need for any maintenance necessary for the link between the  Ex-box and the Rohloff hub ?

Thanks,
Rob

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Rohloff Ex-box Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 09:07:10 am »
Hi Rob,

Yes, the external shifter box should be greased internally periodically according to Rohloff's instructions. This keeps it working smoothly and prevents galling.

I solved the problem by pumping my external shift-box full of Phil Waterproof Grease in early 2013 and have inspected it annually since. It has not needed any further lubrication and there has been no incursion of dust or water in that time despite riding in desert dust and Fall, Winter, and Spring rains.
See:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4523.msg36175#msg36175
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4523.msg95429#msg95429

Best,

Dan.

Ubert767

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 09:36:17 am »
Very much obliged, Danneaux.
Regards,
Rob

PH

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 12:40:42 pm »
Thanks for that Dan, not sure I ever got round to reading the instructions :-[
Instinct made me think it was a void to be filled and I did so with waterproof marine grease, a large tub of which costs about the same as a small tube of the cycle specific stuff,  I'm inclined to slap it on unless there's a reason not to and half a tub has lasted me a decade.

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 04:53:20 pm »
I only lightly greased the internals, I do not want a box full of grease if I have to replace a cable.

I often wipe the area off with a disposable paper towel after it accumulates dirt and dust from the trail.

The T20 screws on the EX box, I think I recall reading that some have had dissimilar metal corrosion on those screws.  Thus, I removed and greased the threads on them on an annual basis or so, I do not keep records of that sort of thing, maybe not annual but I know I have done it several times in the past 5 years.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 05:37:06 pm »
Instinct made me think it was a void to be filled and I did so with waterproof marine grease, a large tub of which costs about the same as a small tube of the cycle specific stuff,  I'm inclined to slap it on unless there's a reason not to and half a tub has lasted me a decade.
The only caution I can think of would be to avoid a too-thick grease, Paul, but if you've had good luck with yours, I think the extra lubrication and protection could only help. The Phil Waterproof grease makes a sort of oil at point of friction whilst staying greasy as a waterproof barrier at the margins. I've had good luck with it, but I don't see why others wouldn't work. Yes, pumping the internals full of grease makes for a cleanup when replacing the cables, but I have not found it a problem in mine. Biggest worry for me was keeping the talc-fine alkali dust of the desert out of the box, and so far this has worked perfectly while maintaining nice, light shifting.
The T20 screws on the EX box, I think I recall reading that some have had dissimilar metal corrosion on those screws.  Thus, I removed and greased the threads on them on an annual basis or so, I do not keep records of that sort of thing, maybe not annual but I know I have done it several times in the past 5 years.
Real good idea, George. I did this to my screws as well and was glad for it, having seen several EX boxes with corrosion blooming 'round the edges of the countersunk screw heads (these were on Coastal bikes, so salt air likely played a role).

Best to all,

Dan.

Ubert767

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 07:04:27 pm »
What are your thoughts on routine maintenance for the Rohloff EX box transfer arm ?

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/rohloff-ex-transfer-box-8216/

Rob

mickeg

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 07:20:04 pm »
If I should do anything on a transfer arm, it is news to me.  The parts in it only move when I shift gears, that is not a lot of movement or wear.  Also, I would not be surprised if some of the lube oil in the hub got into that transfer arm during use and regular riding. 

I changed the oil in my hub before I went to Iceland.  I suspect that the wheel was in the cargo area with the left side down and I suspect the air pressure changes caused a lot of my lube oil to leak out of the hub, possibly into that transfer arm.  The photo will tell you why I suspect this.  But all last year I never had that mess of oil on my EX box or transfer arm, so I think that lube oil loss in Iceland was a one time event from the airplane.

For comparison, my Sram Dual Drive (a three speed internally geared hub that takes a cassette) was greased at the factory and is only supposed to get a few drops of oil a year.  I put 360 miles on that hub last week.  My point is that it is pretty easy to over-think some of this stuff.  If they do not tell you to maintain it, I am not going to worry about it.