Technical > Luggage

Carradice vs Ortlieb for new Nomad

<< < (7/7)

jags:
Carradice as cool bags right enough go for it. 8)

anto.

martinf:

--- Quote from: PH on January 17, 2018, 02:46:30 pm ---If you're a more able cyclist carrying a partners kit is a great idea, it makes it more likely you'll travel as far/fast for the same relative effort.
I've done it a few times, with someone who'd only ridden more than twenty miles a couple of times, used a trailer and it worked well.

--- End quote ---

I carry most of our luggage on cycling trips or holidays involving cycling with my wife. It evens up our capabilities a bit.

Works well with my Raven Tour - front and rear Ortleib panniers with 72 litres capacity, plus a 30 litre rugged stuffsack on the rear rack top if mainly cycling, or a 48 litre rucksack if doing some walking as well. Wife has a pair of medium size panniers (about 35 litre capacity) on her 26" wheel bike. That is plenty of luggage space for a week of self-catering (but not camping). If I ever need to carry more, I can fit a second pair of rear panniers on the front instead of the smaller front panniers, and the rear rack will cope with the stuffsack and the rucksack if necessary.

A bit more difficult for trips with our Brompton folders, so I have to be more severe about restricting the amount of stuff packed. I have a large front bag with about 35 litres capacity, plus the 48 litre rucksack on the Brompton's rear rack, stabilised by strapping the top of the rucksack to the saddle rails. Wife has a lightly-loaded, slightly smaller front bag with about 30 litres capacity on her Brompton. With the two Bromptons folded and bagged, that means 5 items of luggage to load into the train or boat for multi-mode trips.

Repeat:
Wow - that seems a lot On a Brompton - how does it handle with that load?

martinf:

--- Quote from: Repeat on January 17, 2018, 09:29:58 pm ---Wow - that seems a lot On a Brompton - how does it handle with that load?

--- End quote ---

Been OK so far, I reckon over the years I have done at least 1000 km with the front bag/rucksack combination on a Brompton.

But I try and restrict weight on the rear as much as possible - all the heavy stuff goes in the front bag. Brompton rate this for 10 Kg, but IME it will cope OK with up to 20 Kg. 

sd:

--- Quote from: Repeat on January 17, 2018, 04:17:57 pm ---Pavel - I think you need to try harder. Or maybe engineer a scenario where there is no other option.

We seem to be getting off the point of the original question..... so to put the cat among the pigeons, having considered all the advice, and particularly Pavels I thnk I am 80% decided on Carradice super C. From what I have read they are more or less as waterproof as the Ortlieb. Anything like sleeping bag or clothes I needed to be sure of keeping dry I would be storing in dry sacks anyway and the breathaility and repairability is a plus for me. Also I think they look nicer. The idea of keeping a team of people working in Lancashire isn’t such a positive as I’m from Yorkshire originally  :D

--- End quote ---
Brand new super Cs have what I think is wax on them and are 100% waterproof. I just ran the tap over them and the water beaded off. They arrived 5 minutes ago. So I haven't put them on the bike yet. They are super c shoppers. I already have super c rear ones. I apply fabsil canvas waterproofer to them. They are waterproof anyway but it stops the outsides getting wet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version