Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

Thinking of Gates Carbon

(1/10) > >>

sd:
My aim is always to reduce maintenance. I have no interest in "fettling" . I have a inheritance coming and am thinking of buying....dare I say it....buying a new bike.....a bespoke bike even!! This would be the first bike I bought from new.
So Rohloff is a starter Gates Carbon Drive looks like the next move in reducing maintenance. Do they last as long as a chain? Anyone actually own one. Or no anyone who does? Thanks SD

horizon:
This is quite an illuminating take on the topic:

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=115826

Danneaux:
SD,

Enter "belt drive" and "Gates" [no quotes] into the Forum search engine to pull up some lengthy discussion on the pros and cons.

Best,

Dan.

Pavel:
I've never been lured by Koga bikes before but two things on that stand out for me - the sensible position of the bars, and of course the belt drive.  I may have to look a bit harder at newer options as the belt technology makes it's way to more and more touring products.  I'm no longer interested in any pro/con arguments about Gates carbon drives - I simply know that is the thing for me the same way I know that my heart is really only with Rohloff technology.  It's just how to get into a reasonable cost frame where I can simply move and adapt my current parts.

I appreciate every post on this matter, so thanks for the thread heads up horizon.  :)

I've never considered Koga as I've said, because I really value the Thorn brand, and steel is real.  I even like how they move slowly, though obviously that is what is causing my frustration at the same time. 

So one the one hand steel is real but on the other hand steel chains are real too. Real greasy or real rusty and a real pita always. 

energyman:
I have four bikes with Gates belts.  No more messy chains and oil on the shed floor, dead easy to clean a muddy bike with a watering can.  One Rohloff, 2 Alfines 11 and one Nexus 8.  So far no problems.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version