Author Topic: Front V-brake on an Audax Mk3?  (Read 6973 times)

mickeg

Re: Front V-brake on an Audax Mk3?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 05:36:02 pm »
You mentioned you had some new brake pads already that were supposed to improve it.  I would try those first before you get too far into your changes.

I know some people like down tube shifters for the simplicity, but I personally do not like downtube friction shifters at all.  I have them on one bike and on another bike I have a front downtube shifter.  Your call, but if you have been using STI shifters for a while, you might not appreciate going to down tube shifters.

Donerol

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 11:03:17 pm »

In ascending order of price and, I think, effectiveness:
1. Keep the existing dual-pivot side pull calipers and swap the STIs for regular brake levers and DT shifters
I'm not sure that makes ant difference, don't the none STI levers have the same cable pull?
The cable pull may be the same, but the levers are smaller and the pivot point is in a better place - I find them more comfortable and less effort to use

2. Keep the STIs but get a centre pull brake, which is supposed to need less effort
3. Use regular brake levers and DT shifters with a centre pull
Centre pull have the same mechanical advantage as DPs, the difference is there's less friction in the design, that's a plus of course but IMO a pretty small one.
I think you're probably right.

4. Keep the STIs but swap fork to ST700 and use mini V. This fork looks less comfortable than my current fork
5. Keep the STIs but swap fork to more comfortable Thorn MER853VC and use mini V

... Any fork that allows you to fit mini Vs will also allow you to up the tyre size, IMO any  decent steel fork with a 32mm tyre will be more comfortable than any other steel fork with a 28 (32s will easily fit under mini Vs and there's no reason you should have matching front and rear)
Good suggestion - though I use mudguards so tyre size would also depend on the fork.

One option not on your list is my earlier suggestion of using none STI levers and a full size V brake, this is the only option that increases cable pull which IMO will make more difference than the design of brake.
One further option not considered is disk brakes, but it isn't something I have any experience of so can't comment.
I found my daughter's mini V pretty powerful with the STIs - she's living 400 miles away so I can temporarily cannibalise her bike to experiment  ;).  I don't want a disc brake on the front as IME you end up with too stiff a fork.

In all this, there's the gains to be had by getting the best from whatever set up you end up with....

Yes, I need to check all these too.  Thanks very much for your input - all good stuff to mull over.

Donerol

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 11:18:09 pm »
You mentioned you had some new brake pads already that were supposed to improve it.  I would try those first before you get too far into your changes.

I know some people like down tube shifters for the simplicity, but I personally do not like downtube friction shifters at all.  I have them on one bike and on another bike I have a front downtube shifter.  Your call, but if you have been using STI shifters for a while, you might not appreciate going to down tube shifters.

I'd hoped to change the brake pads today but ran out of time - maybe I can do it this weekend. As you say, it's the first place to start.

My reason for considering DT shifters is that I find the non-STI levers are smaller and more comfortable, and give more leverage so that they need less muscle. And having used DT shifters happily for nearly 40 years it wouldn't worry me going back to them - in fact I still absent-mindedly reach for them sometimes  :D.