Author Topic: RIDES 2018 — add yours here  (Read 65289 times)

Andre Jute

Re: RIDES 2018 — add yours here
« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2018, 07:57:27 pm »
Dépanneur! I just love people who know words I don't. Without your explanation I would have taken it for the pathologist's assistant with the electric saw who takes off the top of the corpse's skull.

Super trip, super description, your usual high standard of interesting photographs.

Your new Dry-Lite panniers sound like they're similar to an old Brooks idea which in turn was based on sling-over saddlebags; the modern version is called Brick Lane Roll-Up Panniers. The photo here shows the fitment:
https://www.brooksengland.com/en_eu/cycle-bags/panniers/brick-lane-roll-up-panniers-3.html
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 10:47:12 pm by Andre Jute »

John Saxby

« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2018, 10:35:58 pm »
I would have taken it for the pathologist's assistant with the electric saw who takes off the top of the corpse's skull.

Trépannneur, eh, Andre?  There is a surname, Trépanier, which is fairly close...

On the Brooks counterpart of the Dry-Lites:  The idea is similar, for sure.  I used to have a pair of sling-over-the-seat pannier for my old AJS scrambler.   Both the Brooks and the Dry-Lites look to be more functional than the no-name brand I used for the Ajay.  Arkel intends the Dry-Lites for commuting and short trips -- I think they may well work as rear panniers on longer trips too.

Thanks for your kind words as always, Andre.  I thought of you and your paintings when I saw the flowers beside the marsh.

Cheers,

John

jags

« Reply #137 on: June 07, 2018, 10:39:31 pm »
Class john that bike of your's look's stunning fantastic set up. 8) 8)

Anto

John Saxby

« Reply #138 on: June 07, 2018, 10:54:44 pm »
how do you think the Dry-lites will hold up over time?

Thanks, Paul -- no harm in being a gear junkie:  there are lots worse obsessions  ;)

Arkel says that the Dry-Lites are not (expected to be) as robust as their other touring products. From the look and feel of them, they seem to be well made, and of durable reinforced (rip-stop style) nylon.  I doubt that they'd last as long as the HD cordura nylon panniers which Arkel makes, however, esp if one chucks them around campsites, into the beds of pickup trucks, etc.

They don't have backing plates or interior reinforcements as the heavier panniers do--but neither do they have zippers which can break. (Though I've never had a problem of that sort with any of my other Arkel panniers.)

I use my better-quality panniers almost exclusively for touring.  This means that they get used intensively for a few weeks in all sorts of weather, and then not much 'til next time.  I tend to look after my camping/touring stuff quite carefully, partly because I buy good quality stuff, party because I don't want it to break at awkward times, partly because I'm slightly obsessive about keeping it all in good nick.

On balance, I shd think they'll last me for a few years.  Only major qualifier is that, if the raccoons get 'em, all bets are off.

Glad you liked the rivers!  We are so privileged to live beside the Ottawa and its tributaries.  A fine local journalist, Roy MacGregor, recently wrote Original Highways: Travelling The Great Rivers of Canada. Well worth a read.

Cheers,  John

John Saxby

« Reply #139 on: June 07, 2018, 10:55:54 pm »
Thanks, Anto, you're too kind.

Did I tell you about the great hub in the back wheel??  ;)

jags

« Reply #140 on: June 07, 2018, 11:42:47 pm »
ah i didnt look down at it i was admiring  everything else  ;D ;D
class bike John your health to ride it. ;)

Anto.

John Saxby

« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2018, 03:38:01 am »
Ah, 'tis a fine day that we can ride these bike, Anto, no matter the hubbub they provoke ;)

Cheers, lad,

J.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2018, 04:55:30 am »
hubbub
Haha! ;D

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #143 on: June 08, 2018, 09:52:08 am »
 ;D ;D class day here i'm away to play Pitch n Putt before the gang gets here  ;)

tally ho

anto.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 07:05:11 pm by jags »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #144 on: June 15, 2018, 08:56:00 pm »
Got out on a short overnight ... a little longer than the last, a bit more of a climb: https://www.strava.com/routes/10432177

Andre Jute

« Reply #145 on: June 15, 2018, 11:39:02 pm »
That's a hugely varied environment you live in, Jim. I presume that if those dirt roads carried any appreciable traffic, they'd long since be tarmaced over and, by virtue of being tarmac, attract more traffic. A cyclist's paradise.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #146 on: June 15, 2018, 11:56:19 pm »
It's a pretty interesting bit of road there in the first photo:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4375046,-112.0394493,13z/data=!5m1!1e3

US-89 is a quite busy road through Willard and Perry. In a lot of places there is no shoulder. It's two lanes in each direction so mostly the traffic can give cyclists some space, but sometimes there is a cluster of cars that makes that infeasible, and sometimes people just have a bad attitude. But, aha, there is a way just to the west of US-89! You should be able to see a bit of bike path in the map. The photo is facing south: you can see that the dirt road runs back to a gate - that's the northern end of the bike path. The map just shows a disconnect at that point, but it is certainly bike-able.

Slowly slowly I am expanding my horizons. Close to home there is an incredible amount of construction and the roads are too narrow and too busy. But head out and it gets remote ... wow, Utah really gets remote! Lots to explore!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #147 on: June 16, 2018, 12:04:35 am »
Here is some of the nearby remote territory .... this ought to be doable, I think!

https://www.strava.com/heatmap#12.39/-111.95909/41.43927/blue/ride

in4

« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2018, 08:56:19 am »
Thanks for posting, Jim. Some great shots of your Carradice decked Nomad in Utah.
A few years back I was fortunate to spend a few nights camping and hiking in Zion. Fabulous country and yes, very remote in places. Particularly liked 'Goblin the Utah equivalent of the Easter Island Moai. If there is a next time for me my  Nomad might be coming too.
 Cheers,

PH

« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2018, 09:40:03 am »
Lovely photos Jim, looks a good climb at the end and an excellent place to camp.