Author Topic: RIDES 2018 add yours here  (Read 2104 times)

PH

Re: RIDES 2018 add yours here
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2018, 10:45:45 AM »
Thanks for your comments on my ride report, but Andre Jute it was a nice bike ride, nothing in any way heroic about it!  By Audax standards not even a tough one, little climbing and almost perfect weather conditions.  Audax is indeed meant to be audacious,  not just the name of a bike!  It's my excuse for obsessing about minor aspects of comfort and speed, just 1 kph slower would have added over half an hour on that ride and any discomfort that might be tolerable for six hours becomes a pain at twelve and unbearable at twenty. 
Another 300 planned for next weekend, an interesting timescale starting at 11pm, at least I won't have the problem of getting up early enough ;)
Haven't decided which bike...

Neil Jones

« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2018, 01:29:53 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyed reading your ride report and looking at the photos.

Love the setup on your Mercury, it looks perfect for a long distance comfortable ride.

Regards,
Neil

jags

« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2018, 04:06:33 PM »
horse of a man
300 audax rides wow, maybe if i was 30 years younger ;)
great looking bike for sure.

anto.

in4

« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2018, 06:24:22 PM »
What a fabulous ride on a splendid Mercury.
I used to live in Alfreton :)

Andre Jute

« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2018, 10:38:50 PM »
It's my excuse for obsessing about minor aspects of comfort and speed, just 1 kph slower would have added over half an hour on that ride and any discomfort that might be tolerable for six hours becomes a pain at twelve and unbearable at twenty.

I take your point well, Paul. Time is definitely a factor in ergonomics.

I used to walk the hills and ride in groups with a fellow who if he forgot his walking boots would just wear anyone's spare wellingtons even on 30km walks over pretty difficult mountains, and if he was without a bike because we all packed in the same car for rides a long distance away and the car rack took only three bikes, would just ride any bike he was offered. I saw him again after a break of ten years or so and he was just like me, boots had to fit perfectly or he'd sit out the walk, and his bike had to fit to the millimeter because he'd wrecked his back up a Swiss mountain with the consequence that what was once to him a minor inconvenience even for many hours had suddenly become instantly unbearable.

jags

« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2018, 01:18:39 PM »
kinda know how you friend feels Andre i was that soldier ::) i'm a feckin wreck these days.
just back from a hospital visit, more drugs hopefully these will work a bit better fingers crossed.

anto.

PH

« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2018, 03:45:29 PM »
kinda know how you friend feels Andre i was that soldier ::) i'm a feckin wreck these days.
just back from a hospital visit, more drugs hopefully these will work a bit better fingers crossed.

anto.
Hope the drugs do the job, it's a reminder to us all to make the most of what health we have. 
Audax isn't necessarily age related, I wouldn't like to guess the average but the predominant hair colour is grey for those who still have some! It does favour those who are time rich, and it isn't as physically intense as some other forms of cycling (Unless you want it to be!)  I was riding a section on Sat with someone who is at least twenty years my senior, until they decided they wanted to get to the cafe and disappeared into the distance...

Andre Jute

« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2018, 12:04:20 AM »

I used to say, as I walked into my doctor's surgery, "How goes the trial-and-error business?" Now that he rides with me, I say only nice things ;D.

49kph winds here, with a nasty wind chill factor. But the forecast was dry, and one of the benefits of living in such hilly country is lots of valleys, so I planned a short excursion on lanes through valleys with a minimum of exposed hilltops. As I pushed my bike out of the door, I was hit by heavy rain. So much for a ride.

jags

« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2018, 12:23:51 PM »
lovely up here Andre just back from a walk had to get out of the house  it was closing in on me  ::)
lets hope we have a crackin summer we fully deserve it after this horrible winter .

anto.