Author Topic: RIDES 2018 — add yours here  (Read 65309 times)

martinf

Re: RIDES 2018 — add yours here
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2018, 07:31:25 am »
Thanks, Martin, that's helpful. Expect that I'll replace my 1.6's after this year, & am inclined to go with the 26 x 2.00 Supremes, though they wd require new mudguards.

2.0 Supremes might just fit your current mudguards. SJSC fitted the 55 mm width of SKS mudguards on my first Raven Tour, and the 2.0 Supremes have sufficient clearance for normal riding and don't look odd.

On my other bikes with 2.0 Supremes/Duremes I chose the 65 mm width and left more clearance, for two reasons:

- I fit studded tyres in winter on one of these bikes, and am happier with more clearance as I wouldn't like a stud to contact the mudguard.
- I might fit slightly fatter tyres in the future. One of the bikes has room for 26" x 60 mm, the other will probably just about take 55mm.

Incidentally, I think my 50 mm Duremes may be a tad smaller than the Supremes, can't measure as the bike with those tyres is at my island flat. It would be interesting to have other peoples' views on the comparison between Duremes and Supremes - my take on them is that Duremes are very slightly slower, slightly heavier, slightly less likely to puncture, with a tougher carcass and more suitable for occasional off-road.

John Saxby

« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2018, 04:21:17 pm »
Thanks, Martin. If the 26 x 2.00 Supremes would fit/work well with my current VO mudguards, that would be ideal. My 'guards are actually 650B, but with spacers they fit 26" tires quite well. VO also offer standard 26 x 60mm 'guards in both alloy and stainless.

I've also wondered about the Panaracer 26 x 1.75 or 2.00 RiBMo tires -- haven't seen many comments on these on the forum, although I have seen good reviews on retailers' sites.

There's no urgency on any of this, as my 1.6 Supremes have another season in them, and that season is getting shorter by the day: the sun has gone walkabout, and the forecast for the weekend is a mix of snow, rain, freezing rain, and ice pellets.  I expect I'll have plenty of time to consider my options.

Cheers,  John

Andre Jute

« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2018, 05:32:53 am »
...and that season is getting shorter by the day: the sun has gone walkabout, and the forecast for the weekend is a mix of snow, rain, freezing rain, and ice pellets.  I expect I'll have plenty of time to consider my options.

I'm starting to wonder if I didn't play an April Fool's Day joke on myself when on 1 April I declared the Spring arrived and turned the central heating off...

Still, though this constant rain and high wind into April is depressing, the year so far has not been a complete loss, anyway for those of us who have learned not to set expectations too high. We did get in a handful of rides back in -- mmm, I wouldn't want to lie about which month it was, anyway, a couple of months ago, when even the cherry trees on our street mistook a brief fine spell before the snow fell for spring, and blossomed -- and I've ridden down to the town a couple of times to check adjustments on my bike and only gotten moderately wet.

jags

« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2018, 10:32:05 am »
Dire weather Andre 2 weeks since i turned a pedal just as well i can get a good walk in or i'd crack up ;D ;D.  there's really no point in planning a spin if it's not raining there's a gale of ind blowing so for me the bike stays indoors  i'm no hero. ;)

off for a river muddy walk in a few minutes .

Anto.

John Saxby

« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2018, 06:25:44 pm »
Friends in Saskatchewan often say, "Whatever global warming may bring, it's probably too little, too late." Then again, the Greenland ice cap may be melting faster than the big patch of snow on the north side of our house :(

But this morning dawned sunny and fairly mild, so I took advantage of the forecast brief window of sunshine to go for a ride of two-plus hours along the river and canal, all on on the Ontario side. With prolonged crappy weather due in the next few days, I'll get the photos tidied up & posted on the weekend, between bouts of soup-making, whiskey-drinking, etc.

No greenery visible yet, however--just a few pallid wee shoots in our garden beds poking their noses above the earth and last year's leftover leaves. And, only the occasional songbird--a robin and red-winged blackbird or two, that's all. Even the crows are subdued and the geese are hiding somewhere. (What happened to the intrepid big V's I saw a couple of weeks ago, I wonder? Can't imagine how they're managing the weather in northern Ontario.)

Still, the bike paths which are open to sun and rain are clear, even though those in the woods are still covered in slush and/or rotten ice, several inches deep. The rivers are far below the record highs of last spring -- cycling along the Ottawa River this morning, I'd say it's still maybe 3 metres below the levels of a year ago.

This too will pass (he said, as much from habit as hope...)

Safe wrenching and fettling in the workshop, all,

John
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 06:27:32 pm by John Saxby »

jags

« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2018, 12:02:28 am »
hope it changes quick John the weather i mean ::)
i have the 3 Grandkids sleeping over so no spin for me tomorrow even tho the forecast is good,
anyhoo better get to me cot i'll need a nights sleep to cope with these headcases tomorrow.

Anto..

bikepacker

• Bikepacker
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2018, 11:50:12 am »
Anto as this thread is about rides in 2018 how about this idea.

You know Rich is holding a birthday do in June at the Watlington campsite. Why don't you come over for it? You could get the ferry and train to Smethwick again, I could pick you up and drive to Watlington. We could then do some day rides and in the evening join in the festivities with Rich.

If I use our large two bedroomed tent all you need bring is your bike, clothes and sleeping stuff. How about it?
If you want to be happy learn to be alone without being lonely.
If you want to enjoy the world see it from the saddle of a bike.
If you want to experience beauty camp alone in a spectacular place.
If you want release your anxieties cease excuses and take actions.

jags

« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2018, 05:47:39 pm »
sounds good but could not give you a definite answer just yet all the usual excuses :'(

Anto

Andre Jute

« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2018, 11:43:29 pm »
Say, Bikepacker:

Not inviting myself but, as a matter of curiosity, does this "large two-bedroomed tent" pack up on your bike for touring or is it a car-only job?

bikepacker

• Bikepacker
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2018, 11:30:50 am »
Hi Andre

It is definitely a car only tent it weighs about 9kg.

Last year I camped by a family that was cycle camping with a Zephyros 4 tent but they were sharing the load between 3 of them.

The biggest tent I have cycle camped with is my recently acquired Vango Galaxy 200. As yet I have only taken it on one short overnight outing to Monmouth. Due to age related problems I will be using it more this year as it has stand-up height.
If you want to be happy learn to be alone without being lonely.
If you want to enjoy the world see it from the saddle of a bike.
If you want to experience beauty camp alone in a spectacular place.
If you want release your anxieties cease excuses and take actions.

PH

« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2018, 03:59:51 pm »
Everybody Rides to Skeggy!! 300km Audax
I'd spent a large part of last week removing my SOMA Audax bike from storage and adding new front wheel, cables, bar tape and brake blocks. Then read reports that the roads on parts of the route were in poor condition, crater like potholes, and lots of mud , so put the SOMA back on the hook and took the Mercury!
The alarm going off at 3.45am was a shock, I usually work part nights and that's closer to the time I go to bed than get up, forcing myself out of bed was the toughest part of the day.  But out I got and hit the road only half an hour later than planned.  The 18 mile route from Derby to the  start in Alfreton is mostly a gentle uphill, a good warm up but not fast going, I arrived late with just a couple of stragglers and a friend fixing a puncture still there.  I set off with another rider, out through some of the ex coal mining areas of Nottinghamshire that have never really found another role since the mines shut decades ago.  Soon out into the countryside and a steady climb to Southwell with its magnificent minster and soon onto the first control at Gannets cafe in Newark on Trent - one of the few cafes I've come across that does decent porridge - though not for me today as I was carrying my current preferred cycling food (Peanut butter and jam sandwiches and some Aldi Hike bars) so just a quick coffee and back on the bike.  The gentle climb out of Newark takes you to the lovely Stapelford Wood then along some quiet lanes through charming villages.  This otherwise flat area of Lincolnshire has an escarpment known as the Lincoln cliff or Lincoln Edge, whatever you choose to call it we climbed it at Navenby and it was a shock after the flatlands.  On through the fens and onto the second control at Woodhall Spa, I didn’t stop here, just got my card stamped and cycled on.  More pleasant villages, more country lanes, one climb approaching Spilsby, some B road and soon at Poppies café on the outskirts of Skegness.  I had intended to stop here for a coffee and a rest but as I was parking the bike a group including a couple of riders I know were leaving, so I tagged along with them.  From here the route follows the coast North to Sutton on Sea, it was the first time in the day where the wind made itself known and I was glad to be getting some shelter in a group, my turns on the front were hard enough it was good not to be riding this section solo.    I deviated in Sutton to go and see the sea but couldn’t persuade any in the group to join me – Audax is a broad church which is one of the reasons I like it, but still find it hard to imagine anyone rides 100 miles to the coast and doesn’t spend ten minutes taking it in.
Half way, feeling good, making decent time with a three hour buffer and have only been off the bike for about 40 min.  I considered stopping here but didn’t feel the need so carried on.  The route inland touches on the Wolds, nothing seriously mountainous but not much flat either.   I was joined to a group of six by some invisible elastic they would disappear on the uphills and I’d easily catch them on the down or flat.  The next control at Horncastle came soon enough, a stop at the Co Op to top up my drinks and on to Lincoln.  This is probably the fastest section of the route, pleasant but not exceptional, other than some gorgeous woodland carpeted with flowers (wood anemone) The route skirts Lincoln through some suburbs, then it’s a bit of a drag through Doddington and on to cross the Trent at Dunham Toll Bridge  - this road always puzzles me, I’ve ridden it many times in both directions an swear it’s up hill either way!   During the day there’d  been a good bit of sunshine  and I’d been riding most of it in shorts, now the sun was going down and it was time to put the legwarmers back on.  The last section of the route is pretty direct and straightforward, but with a fair bit of up and down.  At one point there was a lovely orange moon to my right, I was waiting for the perfect foreground to get a photo but waited too long and it was gone.  I was feeling pleased with myself that the climb out of Ollerton wasn’t as hard as I remembered it, but my memory was wrong and came a few miles later… and just as hard as last time! Soon back into the ex mining towns and returned to base in Alfreton at 21.50.
306 km – overall time 15hr 50min (No allowance for starting late)-  riding time 13hr 55min – 4hr 10 min spare
After a coffee, a couple of slices of cake and some chat. It was time to face the mostly downhill ride home where a hot shower and cold beer awaited.   Total time away from home 19.5 hours and distance for the day 357km (That’s 221 miles in old money)

I’m drawing no conclusions for the debate going on in my head re Merc Vs Audax bike – see other thread.  But at no time yesterday did I feel I was on the wrong bike for that ride, and it came as no surprise to pass several riders with punctures.  I’ve done this Audax five times, and that’s as fast a total time as I’ve ever had, though the average riding speed was a fair bit slower than some of them.
Whatever – it was a grand day out.

Sutton by Paul, on Flickr

Strava for anyone who follows it
https://www.strava.com/activities/1509287322
And a couple more photos here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/phbike/albums/72157695673415235

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 04:05:17 pm by PH »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2018, 08:14:38 pm »
Very nice ride report Paul. I enjoyed it and your photos.

Best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2018, 10:45:01 pm »
Great stuff, Paul -- 14 hours on the bike!  Loved the photos, esp the daffs :)  Glad your Mercury worked as it should.

Only dreaming of such things here in Ottawa: outside the window, there's a crust of freezing rain and ice pellets on the grass in the back yard.  Forecast is that we might have some sun and temps above freezing towards the middle of next week :(

Andre Jute

« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2018, 11:57:53 pm »
It is definitely a car only tent it weighs about 9kg.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer.

...Vango Galaxy 200... Due to age related problems I will be using it more this year as it has stand-up height.

A regrettable necessity that overtakes us all sooner or later. My shoelaces get further away every year.

Andre Jute

« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2018, 02:05:49 am »
"Total time away from home 19.5 hours and distance for the day 357km (That’s 221 miles in old money)."

Holy Maloney, that's an heroic ride.