Author Topic: RIDES 2018 — add yours here  (Read 6759 times)

Andre Jute

Re: RIDES 2018 — add yours here
« Reply #165 on: July 17, 2018, 12:20:38 AM »
Idyllic.

One almost expects to look up and see a Spitfire overhead...

John Saxby

« Reply #166 on: August 01, 2018, 01:21:14 AM »
Haven't managed many day rides in the past few weeks, what with a mini-tour in south-central Ontario, some serious heat'n'humidity, and a long weekend chasing cultcha in Stratford and Niagara-on-the-Lake...

A couple of weeks ago, however, I did my usual ride across the river and into the Gatineau Hills, this time with a cycling buddy, David, who's easing back into riding after some difficult back and knee problems. He did some hills for the first time in some months, using his trick carbon road bike, and recorded our ride on his Garmin.

Here's the map, elevation profile and some stats: 
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2862373639

We did the basic up-and-back ride from my place to Champlain Lookout--one can take loops to lengthen the ride and add hills. As is, it's a nice three hours of riding plus a break at the top for a snack and for consideration once more of the odd feeling that comes from knowing that, a mere 10,000 years ago, our favourite viewpoint was under a mile of ice.  If we'd visited a couple of thousand years closer, so to speak, we'd have been at the seaside, as the Ottawa Valley-to-be was the seabed of the Champlain Sea, left behind by the melting and retreating glaciers.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2018, 11:01:28 PM »
I rode out to Antelope Island yesterday, camped overnight, and rode home today. About 35 miles each way. Not quite sub-24 hours but only about an hour over the line.

The original plan was to meet up with some folks who were going to look at the Perseid meteors. Seems like the group bailed but I did see 8 meteors in maybe half an hour. Then this morning, one antelope and lots of bison. There aren't any fences... best not to aggravate those monstrous beasts!

John Saxby

« Reply #168 on: August 14, 2018, 01:34:58 AM »
Super stuff, Jim, wide horizons there...

I was away this past w.e., paddling in parc de la Vérendrye.  No cycling myself, though we did pass & give a thumbs-up to a couple of touring cyclists on Québec's Route Verte #1.

Couple of nice water-and-sky photos below. And, no photos unfortunately, but at 3 AM, I saw Mars for the first time in the Northern Hemisphere, low enough & bright enough to cast a beam of light on the lake :)

Cheers,  J.

Andre Jute

« Reply #169 on: August 14, 2018, 05:54:34 AM »
Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. John's sentimentally evocative canoe and Jim's powerful pylons are both stunning photographs in different ways.

Like the meteorites and Mars casting a beam on the lake, I don't have a photograph of the interesting thing that happened on my ride.

At dusk by the cemetery on edge of the town, I came upon a fox sitting at the side of the road, calmly observing me. So I stopped about ten feet away and said hello. I didn't take a photo because a) my phone (an iPhone 4S) or its case interfering causes flash photos to show nothing but grey nothingness and b) it is rude to pop flashlights in the eyes of nocturnal animals. So I rode off home and the fox trotted along with me until it could turn through the back gate of a park into a fold of the land in which, I thought, it might feel more secure.

A few hours later my pet fox appeared at the French doors to the living room and inspected me rather more thoroughly than usual. I refer, perhaps too casually I suppose, to "my pet fox", but it isn't tame at all; I can walk up to within a couple of feet of it on the patio, but I don't handfeed it because I like keeping my hands attached to my arms; from the fox's point of view, I'm a possibly dangerous creature because of my size, but on the other hand I put out food for it, and I speak soothingly ("Well now, Foxie, how about giving me a nearly weaned cub for a live-in pet?").

Well, the fox at the cemetery wore a scab on its ear, and my fox from the gully below the orchard has had this scratch that won't heal on his ear for a couple of years, since he tangled with an extended family of magpies that lives in the eucalyptus outside my study window. I suddenly realized that the fold of land up by the cemetery is connected to the culvert under the dangerous main road on the townward side of the sports fields, and of course the culvert leads into the gully, which has a stream in it near which Foxie and his family lives, a distance of probably a few hundred yards though by road from the cemetery to my house over the gully is a mile or more.

And I remembered that years ago I found Foxie's father or grandfather on that road by the cemetery trying to guide a vixen and three cubs (one of whom might have been Foxie or his father) across it, decided they were living dangerously (the local hounds are stabled just a couple of hundred yards along that road -- no neighborhood for a fox with a growing family -- or for a cyclist, for that matter: one of those bloody dogs bit me a couple of months ago, and I took it out on the handler, to the horror of my riding companion who in nearly 40 years hadn't discovered that I turn violent when I see even a spot of my own blood -- I don't share the dumb country assumption that "dogs will be dogs"), and herded them cross-country through the fold of land at the edge of the sports field, through the culvert, and along the gully to below the orchard; when I got home I took food into the gully and left it for them to find and by small steps the paterfamilias and his successors came to consider our living room patio his dining room.

Like I say, no photo, because a flash in Foxie's eyes would be thoughtless and very likely considered hostile by him. But here's a portrait of Foxie I drew last year:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 10:18:14 PM by Andre Jute »

John Saxby

« Reply #170 on: August 14, 2018, 02:13:28 PM »
Love it, Andre -- your painting is a low-impact record of nature's beauty. (Soft paths, leave-no-trace of our passage.)  Generations of Foxies will thank you :)

Will send you a PM on All This -- adding more here takes us some distances from "Rides of 2018"...