Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

Splined sprocket reversal for dummies

(1/4) > >>

j-ms:
Hi

Could anyone provide me with an idiots' guide to reversing a splined sprocket ?  Pictures, video etc would be even better.  Our chains (KMC X1 as supplied by SJS) have reached the end of their lives (after more than 10,000 Kms) and I want to reverse the sprockets at the same time as fitting new chains.

Thanks
Jean-Marc

mickeg:
I assume you are using an older thread on type instead of a newer splined type.

This might help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqpgkyQ5tkI

Using the skewer is important, does not have to be really tight but tight enough that the tool can't slip off.

Some have complained that it is hard to get off.  I had no problem but I used big chain whip and big wrench.

j-ms:
Hi Mick

I've seen this video but I am looking for one on the splined sprocket (our Ravens are only a year old and the splined sprockets came out in eraly 2016 IIRC).

Jean-Marc

mickeg:
Mine is threaded on.

I have not seen the splined one but I think there is a spring clip that holds the sprocket onto a carrier.  Remove the spring clip and try to make sure it does not fly to far when you do that.

martinf:

--- Quote from: mickeg on December 11, 2017, 06:01:41 pm ---I have not seen the splined one but I think there is a spring clip that holds the sprocket onto a carrier.  Remove the spring clip and try to make sure it does not fly to far when you do that.

--- End quote ---

You're right about the spring clip (but I call it a circlip) for the recent splined Rohloff sprockets. These are used on almost all the gear hubs that I have owned or maintained, the main exception being my Rohloffs that have screw-on sprockets.

Generally quite easy to lever off the spring clip/circlip with a thin screwdiver, and clip it back on with fingers.

But recently I did find the circlip on one of the Shimano Nexus 8 hubs a bit difficult to refit, perhaps because it was fairly new and because the garage was particularly cold (fingers not working so well?).

For removal, try doing this before you remove the wheel from the frame, then the spring clip/circlip won't fly anywhere.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version