Author Topic: What about your bike are you obsessive about?  (Read 8635 times)

jags

Re: What about your bike are you obsessive about?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 02:32:44 pm »
as you know Andre im a long time lower back moaner  ::)
before i got the Probike fit done i was near enough sitting up straight.
The guy dropped me down a good 2 inches not exactly flat back but year a lot lower than i was riding,  it took all the pressure of my spine  works fantastic .i still suffer back pain when cycling but nothing like before the bikefit. ;)
oh i ride the hoods most of the time  never on the drops these days my belly gets in the way. ;D

anto.

Andre Jute

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 04:15:22 am »
Sheldon Brown had the perfect solution, drops to make him look fast, flat bars to save his back, both on his Thorn Raven's steering tube.

https://sheldonbrown.com/org/thorn-index.html

Note also the layback seatpost to position his wrists and back just so.

jags

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 12:02:51 am »
a fella would get arrested if the cops seen him ride that yoke . :'(

sheldon should have bought a frame that fit's him instead of making a pigs ear out of a lovely  frame ah well horses for courses .

anto.

Andre Jute

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 02:29:12 am »
Perhaps Sheldon was proving a point with that setup. It does rather look like a Frankenbike.

aggs

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 11:03:18 am »
Hosing the salt spray off , as soon as possible when winter riding.
Inc cleats and everything!!

Plus as I get older (and wiser?!!)  its not really about the latest , flashiest bike ( that's the hobby/  enthusiast bit) ,its about the journey and wearing the right kit for the conditions, that can be obsessive too!!!  Maybe that should be another question too!!

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:08:13 am by aggs »

Marlo

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 03:01:14 pm »
Never having a break down while making parts last as long as possible, I ride 9.7Km each way to work and obsess about never being late, and getting maximum miles between service. To the point of keeping records, I can even feel anxiety just typing this, starting to consider getting help?

Andre Jute

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2018, 04:16:56 pm »
You've come to the right place, Aggs and Marlo!

smithhaddon123

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2018, 10:41:26 am »
Fit, biomechanical efficiency and drawing it in BIKECAD.  Proportional crank length, the right back angle, trick BB and wheel bearings, light and wide tyres (lightwall Compass Bon Jon Pass).  I've no care about aerodynamics but with the drivetrain almost lossless and the fit to a tee, turning a corner to catch the wind behind you and feeling the bike just go and go and go is just wonderful!

jags

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2018, 01:01:40 pm »
how puncture proof are those compass ,have to say  they look class on a good set of hoops.

anto.

smithhaddon123

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2018, 06:08:07 pm »
In a full year of year-round riding (though not commuting), they have never punctured.  The manufacturer says they purposely have no puncture protection belt because they sap performance.  Instead they get natural resistance through being light, very flexible and wide, meaning they run at low pressure.  Mine run at 3 bar rear, 2.5 front (I'm 65kg).  I use latex tubes, which also add a bit of puncture resistance for the same reasons. 

jags

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2018, 07:04:26 pm »
Thanks for that i ride 700x 28 the max for my audax.
yeah i was very tempted to buy compass but there expensive and the roads here in Ireland a dire rough tarmac seldom come across a smooth road.
guess i'll stick to the conti gatorskins .

anto.

smithhaddon123

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2018, 08:12:30 pm »
Probably a good idea in 28s.  Yes they're a pretty penny all right

Andre Jute

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2018, 11:27:02 pm »
Be more than a bit mindless to put expensive tackies without puncture protection on your bike on our roads here in Ireland.

As for puncture protection "sapping performance", I don't see it, at least not on properly designed tyres. The three big secondary advantages of banding tyres is that the stiff contact surface sticks a lot of rubber to the road, that the softer sidewall possible with a good protection band conforms that protection band consistently to the road's undulations, and that on wider tyres the lower inflation pressure possible sticks even more rubber more conformingly to the tarmac. Every auto racer knows -- and I don't know why it is so difficult to explain to bicyclists -- that keeping the tyre's contact patch as flat and large on the road as possible makes for less rolling resistance and thus better power transfer. In technical, engineering terms, the power transfer between tyre and road is limited by the friction between the materials, same as in braking, so the larger the surface in constant contact between tyre and road, the greater the power transfer possible.

The case against the protection band, given only that it is competently designed and installed, is its weight (pretty much irrelevant unless you're racing in the TdF) and its image among the roadies, nothing more.

The same arguments underlie the case for treadless tyres for tarmac use (and most other bicycle applications as well) for which even the great Jobst Brandt, trying to explain to bicyclists on a socalled "tech" group, suffered considerable frustration. Those landmark treadless Avocet tyres that the senior roadies here will remember were designed by Jobst.