Author Topic: Thorn Raven £800 - north london - early model? (help needed with size...)  (Read 4883 times)

mrboyd

Hi Im selling this for a friend - she bought it (with my help ) from a guy off this forum in July 2014 (3 1/2 years ago)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263374940082?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I did the following stuff to it in July 2014:

Oil change.
Front wheel true.
Tyre change.
Fit new brake pads.
Brake adjust and new rear cable.
Replace worn out headset bearings.
Replace worn out chainring.
Fit new sprocket.
Fit new chain.
Adjust eccentric bottom bracket for chain tension.
Fit cheap new pedals with toe cage and strap.

It now needs a new oil change and service, maybe new brake pads , but nothing too serious.

bike is located in north london near GOSPEL OAK station

----------

if anyone can help me with the size that would be amazing..  Im not 100% sure how my measurements translate into Thorn sizing.  I have a feeling it may be an early model that doesn't translate into Raven sizes.   

seat tube CTC 455
FRAME SIZE 530
virtual top tube 580

I vaguely remember something about it having some special heritage, but I forget the details.  I think the graphic on it has some significance?

humedavid

Re: Thorn Raven £800 - north london - early model? (help needed with size...)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 02:47:32 pm »
Look under the bottom bracket for the frame number. The first 4 digits of that is the frame size.

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 03:30:39 pm »
Looks a nice bike, the rohloff is about 2002.

PH

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 04:14:21 pm »
Celtic bands were only on the original models for the first year or so, when I ordered mine in Nov 2004 there were some colours still with that graphic but all the new stock were plain, which I preferred.
There's some confusion in the advert as to the tubing " 969 double butted 531" but the label on the down tube looks like Reynolds 853?
That and the front brake on the rear of the fork would lead me to think it was a Raven Sport rather than a Raven Tour.  The Sport was a dearer bike, partly because of the Reynolds tubing, but more importantly it was a different sort of bike.  If I were to get one when I was expecting the other I'd be well disappointed, either way.
It's none of my business, but if I were selling it, I'd pull the advert down till I'd clarified the model and size, then spend a day servicing and cleaning it (The hub isn't anodised and with a bit of Silvo will come up like new), and put it back up with a better description for £100 more.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:15:58 pm by PH »

humedavid

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 11:47:52 pm »
I'd go for a single speed chain (with correct chain tension, then new photo) if I was changing it.

in4

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 06:46:12 am »
Is the grub screw from the hub missing?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 08:02:23 am »
Is the grub screw from the hub missing?
Funny you should mention that, Ian; I had the same impression so did a "forensic analysis" and concluded it is indeed there. In this sharpened enlargement cropped from the larger photo, you can see the hex-wrench flats in the grub screw.

All the best,

"Eagle Eyes" Danneaux  ;)

mrboyd

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 10:54:47 am »
Hi, thanks all for the input..  Ive relisted the bike:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263381939495
But decided I dont have time to do the work to it at the moment.. If t doesn't sell for £800 (which I think is a fair price for Rohloff Thorn that needs a service) then I will tart it up and resist for more money. 

Yes, the chain is 3/32" and needs adjusting (possibly replacing due to wear?)..  But it also needs new oil, cleaning, new brake pads and maybe some other stuff I haven't noticed yet.  So, I'm ok to sell it as it is without trying to hide anything.    The new owner may want to replace the chainring/crank and use a 1/2" set up so it might end up being a waste of effort.   I prefer to give someone a good deal and them get it how they want.

I also have a Rohloff oil kit which I can include if anyone is interested.

Thanks again for all the input 

cheer,
matt

in4

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 02:51:46 pm »
Well done Dan. Mr Forensic hits the spot. Looks like a good buy for a rohloff alone let alone a bike fitted to it. Unless you're a derailleur devotee like someone else lol😊
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:31:58 pm by in4 »

mrboyd

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 02:26:08 pm »
Now SOLD